Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Stabilizer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Stabilizer

I have heard a lot of native things about the BRP Belt Stabilizer and very good reviews on Doc’s Belt Stabilizers. I see Baker makes one also that looks good but I have not heard anything about it. Is any one using one on here? I have not notice hardly any vibration on my 2015 Roadster RT but I have been thinking about installing one. Is Doc’s the best one?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I have BRP's but it looks cheap. Doc's looks more robust. Don't know if it is better, per se, but it looks higher quality.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I have BRP's but it looks cheap. Doc's looks more robust. Don't know if it is better, per se, but it looks higher quality.
    I retired as a mechanic and a tool & die maker and I feel Doc knows what he is talking about. I was just wondering about the one Baker has.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Stabilizers

In a nut shell the BRP unit is made of plastic, only has a single bearing centered in the pulley. Meanwhile the unit by Doc and Baker are made of metal and have two bearings with a larger diameter pulley, much superior in construction to the BRP unit. A larger pulley has a lower rotational speed at any speed than a smaller pulley. The serpentine belt on your cage has a very sturdy tensioner pulley and arm, no plastic! I would not recommend the BRP unit, my $.02 worth.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it....

Only offering my opinion here... but of the three I think Doc has the better one. I have a smoothspyder belt tensioner myself...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I retired as a mechanic and a tool & die maker and I feel Doc knows what he is talking about. I was just wondering about the one Baker has.

I wonder about the one from Baker also.
    It seems to mount differently than the others.
    Does the Smoothspyder mount with tension placed on the bottom of the belt?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I wonder about the one from Baker also.
    It seems to mount differently than the others.
    Does the Smoothspyder mount with tension placed on the bottom of the belt?
    Yes, it is on the bottom of the belt.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Got DOC 's. It works perfectly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Yes, it is on the bottom of the belt.
    so how does it do compared to doc's or baker?
    from reading here, it's my understanding the top mounted damper gives the best results--
    just wondering

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    so how does it do compared to doc's or baker?
    from reading here, it's my understanding the top mounted damper gives the best results--
    just wondering
    I can't compare the SmoothSpyder to Doc's or Baker's, as I have never had either. But my experience with the SmoothSpyder (and I have the original one, not the newer version) has been very positive. A quality product, very well made, and dependable. I have had mine for 4 years with no problems, and it really cured the belt vibration. I recommend it.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't compare the SmoothSpyder to Doc's or Baker's, as I have never had either. But my experience with the SmoothSpyder (and I have the original one, not the newer version) has been very positive. A quality product, very well made, and dependable. I have had mine for 4 years with no problems, and it really cured the belt vibration. I recommend it.
    I don't think the SmoothSpyder will work on the RT.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I had the smoothspyder on my 15 RTS. It worked good. I have docs now. It works good also. I seem to feel more of the engine vibe now but not belt vibe.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes it does. You have to get the one made for RT, if Jim has them in stock. I had one on my 2013 RT and now have one on my 2014 RT. It and Baker Air Wings one were the only ones available 4 years ago.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Yes it does. You have to get the one made for RT, if Jim has them in stock. I had one on my 2013 RT and now have one on my 2014 RT. It and Baker Air Wings one were the only ones available 4 years ago.
    I bought my SmoothSpyder on 2/18/14. Installed in March same year. So not quite ​4 years ago, but close.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my SmoothSpyder on 2/18/14. Installed in March same year. So not quite ​4 years ago, but close.
    I bought my first one in April 2014!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have had my smooth sypyer on my bike for 2 1/2 years now and it has made 0 difference in the vibration. I put Doc's on about 6 months ago and now i have NO vibration. GO DOC

Spyder Garage

I am experiencing intermittent vibration in our 2014 RT. From reading several of the comments here and on other threads, it appears the DOC's is the preferred choice. Where would those be available? Are they a DIY install for someone who has been turning wrenches on motorcycles since 1968?
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP idler on mine, no issues and it works fine. I have upgraded the pulley to a double bearing for longevity. I had a lot of vibration since i have the ISCI floorboards, the BRP cured the belt vibration i felt in them.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    I have had my smooth sypyer on my bike for 2 1/2 years now and it has made 0 difference in the vibration. I put Doc's on about 6 months ago and now i have NO vibration. GO DOC
    Thanks, that is the one I will go with.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Has anyone had both the BRP one and Doc's one to compare the two? Setting aside the quality issues that several people have had with the BRP one, is the desired result the same, or does Doc's work better at eliminating the vibrations?
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I am experiencing intermittent vibration in our 2014 RT. From reading several of the comments here and on other threads, it appears the DOC's is the preferred choice. Where would those be available? Are they a DIY install for someone who has been turning wrenches on motorcycles since 1968?
    Thanks for asking. We have an earlier video which is just about the same as the unit now. All instructions are very detailed out and easy to follow. You can even contact us if you need questions answered. Just go to the video section and scroll down.
    https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/

Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built

Thanks for wondering about our Belt Stabilizer. Our Belt Stabilizer is built out of Aluminum black powder coated with a gas pulley spring. These are made to work as a stabilizer not a tensioner which in the long run will cause less wear on the belt because it is not adding any extra unneeded/unwanted tension to the belt itself. Once installed you will get rid of 80-90% of the vibrations you once was experiencing. We use a larger pulley than most on the market which reduces the amount of rotations. These have been on the market for at least 4 years and we have never had any complaints that they do not work or have broken. These are always a top seller at Spyderfest mainly because we do installations however these are simply and easy takes less than 30 minutes to install. I would also like to mention right now we have our Belt Stabilizers on sale for ALL Spyder models take advantage of the savings until the end of the month the RT version is only $199.95 plus FREE shipping. If you have any questions please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-451-9464 or shoot us an email at info@bakerbuilt.com.
    Last edited by Air Wing Guy; 11-15-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Many of the ryders that have installed our Vibration Damper have been able to actually lower the belt tension, reducing wear on the belt and still getting rid of all of the vibration. At it's highest rate of pressure on the upper (tension) side of the belt, it only applies about 15 lbs. We explain that since ours goes directly where the vibration is it doesn't need a lot of pressure to work. It is like putting your finger on a guitar string to stop it's vibration.
    In the year that we have produced this, the highest mileage reported has been 40,000 miles. Many, many ryders have reported over 20,000 miles. We warranty the roller/bearings for 2 years and have yet to have one fail. The rest of the unit comes with a 1 year warranty and after that every single component is available. Our goal is for that to be the last VD you will ever need.. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

I have had the Smoothspyder on my 2012 RT with over 20000 miles on it and it has worked exactly as I had hoped,little or no vibration

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the BRP idler installed 18,000 miles ago without a single problem. BRP even warranties the belt if there is a problem. The BRP idler is EXTREMELY well made with both a made in Japan bearing and a heat treated bolt. The single bearing design is because of tracking issues and not cheapness. For $60.00 which includes installation and warranty you can beat it but if you are having idler nightmares go with a more robust (?) model like Docs. My thoughts.