Spyder Garage

Default Too cold to ride, adding a 12v switched outlet up front where to tap for ignition on?

I'm going to move my Garmin over to this bike and am in the process of wiring up a 12v outlet in the left speaker grill that I want to be powered on when the ignition is on. To that end, I need to find a point in the wiring where I can tap for that voltage so I can use it to energize a small relay to control the power. The draw wouldn't be too much, about 160ma or maybe 2w to energize the relay coil. I'm thinking one of the feeds to the headlights? Anybody know the connector and or what color wire to tap? Or is there a better way. Left side panels are currently off. Thanks in advance. Pix or link would be great.

Bob
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Just run a wire down into the frunk and to the fuse block in there. There are a couple options to pull power from in there. You won't have to take half the bike apart to do it either. Use a good stiff piece of wire for a fish tape....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Consider an accessory block

As you do this you might want to consider installing an accessory block at or near your battery so you may add future switched and non-switched (always powered) accessories to your Spyder. Here's a link to one sold by Tricled.
    https://www.tricledusa.com/_p/prd1/3704178141/product/fuze-block-fz-1

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default TOO COLD

TOO COLD TO RIDE.....???????
    I just don't understand that train of thought.... i have a friend (Goldwinger) in Michigan that puts his Wing away during the Winter because he says it's too cold to ride... yet he gets his snowmobile out, and ride like tomorrow will never come..... if the roads are clear of snow/ice/wet, what's the problem with riding in the cold...? all one needs to do is dress for the occasion... as he does when riding his snow-buggy.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Not for the feint of heart--but doable. Watch out for "black ice," big trucks, and SUV's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit warmer, in the 50's in the afternoon, so hopefully will get it out then and try the heated grips and the right sided foot warmer.

Outlet is wired in. In the end, I tapped off one of the headlight circuits and ran both wires directly to the 12v outlet. The gps is a very low draw, so it won't make much of any difference on that circuit. I do have the relays and a 4 circuit fuse box to add in if/when I add any other accessories. I ordered this mount which should be here next week, and I should also have the extra adapter for the garmin by then, so that will finish that project.

IMG_20171111_162247531.jpg

51ctCMQj0HL.jpg

I did get experienced in removing the mirrors, all the side panels as well as the headlight surround. It's really not too bad especially after you watch a few videos. Working space is pretty tight, but its inside now.

IMG_20171111_162348149.jpg

Next project is to ether mount this or have it mounted. I don't have the 36mm sockets and wrench, so either I get those and do it or drive it to work this week and drop if off at the dealer. Dealer will swap the tire out for 90 bucks. Just have to let them have it for a few days.

IMG_20171111_162326132.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    As you do this you might want to consider installing an accessory block at or near your battery so you may add future switched and non-switched (always powered) accessories to your Spyder. Here's a link to one sold by Tricled.
    https://www.tricledusa.com/_p/prd1/3704178141/product/fuze-block-fz-1

Rob
    I actually ordered some relays and a 4 position fuse block but decided to hold off on installing all that till I had a need for some high draw circuits. Part of the reason for taking all the panels off was to scope out how I could run wiring and mount the parts. The gps wont take much if any current, but if I decide to add some heated accessories, then thats what would need the juice.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    TOO COLD TO RIDE.....???????
    I just don't understand that train of thought.... i have a friend (Goldwinger) in Michigan that puts his Wing away during the Winter because he says it's too cold to ride... yet he gets his snowmobile out, and ride like tomorrow will never come..... if the roads are clear of snow/ice/wet, what's the problem with riding in the cold...? all one needs to do is dress for the occasion... as he does when riding his snow-buggy.....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Took the bike out yesterday, was in the 40's to low 50's. Had the winter jacket on with the full face helmet. Never felt cold, had the grips on the high setting, even through the gloves after 20 mins they felt too hot, had to turn em down. Legs were the only thing that felt a bit of the cold, but that engine belted out enough heat that even that wasn't much of a problem.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black