Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    So looks like the Niken will be arriving in the fall as a 2019 giving Yamaha these next few months to improve on it and get the bugs out of it! I知 not 100% sure it痴 coming to Canada but likely I was looking at buying a new spider but I知 going to hold off and wait till the fall when Yamaha releases their niken and BRP may release their sport tilting spider that I have verification is in the works as we speak!! The future looks bright
    Good luck. The only new thing I heard coming from BRP this year is a Spyder under $10,000.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I understand the need to market a 'loss leader' version of the Spyder. But its pretty hard for anyone that already owns and rides a Spyder to get too excited about it.

I REALLY hope they bring a performance version of the F3 to market one of these days. I see no need for a tilting version.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    So looks like the Niken will be arriving in the fall as a 2019 giving Yamaha these next few months to improve on it and get the bugs out of it! I知 not 100% sure it痴 coming to Canada but likely I was looking at buying a new spider but I知 going to hold off and wait till the fall when Yamaha releases their niken and BRP may release their sport tilting spider that I have verification is in the works as we speak!! The future looks bright

I received an email yesterday that said the Niken, and I quote "available the second half of 2018" which makes me believe it will show in the fall. Will be really good to test ride one of these.

I'm excited by the $9999 Spyder. Well, I will be if it has a more sport like riding position (not like the F3) and decent power. I could care less about all the creature comforts. Bare bones ride with a decent seating position and decent power (as much as the 998) and I'd buy one in a second.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I received an email yesterday that said the Niken, and I quote "available the second half of 2018" which makes me believe it will show in the fall. Will be really good to test ride one of these.

I'm excited by the $9999 Spyder. Well, I will be if it has a more sport like riding position (not like the F3) and decent power. I could care less about all the creature comforts. Bare bones ride with a decent seating position and decent power (as much as the 998) and I'd buy one in a second.
    You will be disappointed.

F3 frame, 600cc motor, no power steering, single channel stability control, no abs, very little body work. No creature comforts. The lean forward riding position is gone. They could not sell them even when they did discount them to the 11k range. They sat on dealer showrooms.

There was rumor of a kit to move foot controls and pegs on an F3 rearward which would allow what you are looking for but have not heard any more about it in a long time. Perhaps that will be an option to come with the new bike. Could widen its market potential if both riding positions could be accommodated on one model.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default What bike ??

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    ....F3 frame, 600cc motor, no power steering, single channel stability control, no abs, very little body work. No creature comforts. The lean forward riding position is gone. They could not sell them even when they did discount them to the 11k range. They sat on dealer showrooms.
    What bike are you describing here?
    Last edited by nhoj; 03-22-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    What bike are you describing here?
    The ST's & RSS's - ie, the Spyders that had the sportier riding positions.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The ST's & RSS's - ie, the Spyders that had the sportier riding positions.
    Don't think so. I rode an ST for 4 years and it didn't have a 600cc motor. He was speaking of some other bike.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You will be disappointed.

F3 frame, 600cc motor, no power steering, single channel stability control, no abs, very little body work. No creature comforts. The lean forward riding position is gone. They could not sell them even when they did discount them to the 11k range. They sat on dealer showrooms.

There was rumor of a kit to move foot controls and pegs on an F3 rearward which would allow what you are looking for but have not heard any more about it in a long time. Perhaps that will be an option to come with the new bike. Could widen its market potential if both riding positions could be accommodated on one model.

Well BRP continuously disappoints me in both the Spyder and Snowmobile world so I'm not holding my breath that the new Spyder will appeal to me.

Everything you describe sounds great though except the 600 motor and the F3 frame. Actually I don't care if it has the F3 frame as long as it doesn't have the cruiser riding position. I really don't see how a kit could give a person both riding positions with the current F3 frame (the seat would need to be higher, not just the pegs moved back...maybe the kit offers a different seat?) but maybe. If the new bike offered both seating positions that would work.

I think the sport seating position didn't sell in the RS, RSS, maybe even the ST was because people looking for that type of ride want more performance. I mean BRP sells a ton of RT's and the seating position is more "sport" or "straight" bike (ie, your feet are not touching your waist) than cruiser (more RS than F3). I bet the F3S doesn't sell that great either because its marketed as a performance bike yet its performance isn't any different than the other f3's. The only reason to buy that model is the cheaper price. At some point if BRP wants to sell a "performance" model Spyder they need to step up to the plate and actually build one. It's really that simple.

I understand they try and save money by offering one bike (same frame, same engine, same tires, same brakes, etc, etc) and then differentiate them buy adding storage, backrests, etc (essentially factory accessories) on them. But by doing that they can only appeal to a certain segment of the riding population. Not everyone wants a cruiser, not everyone wants a sport bike, not everyone wants to ride just pavement, to appeal to a broader market you have to build a broader range of bikes. BRP could still use the same strategy they use now. Build the 1330 and give it various performance levels (this could be done electronically), build 3 frames, one cruiser style, one sport style, one straight bike (RT) style. Use all the same switches, levers, tires, brakes, shocks etc, etc (just like they do now) on all three of the frames. Keep the unique components minimal. Then you appeal to a broader range of riders and still keep costs reasonable. Does this cost more? Absolutely. Its the old risk and reward thing. You want a larger reward (you want to sell more Spyder's) then you need to take more risks (spend more money, develop more models, appeal to more riders).

Now this is where someone replies and says they are just happy that BRP is still in business and offering a Spyder model.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Don't think so. I rode an ST for 4 years and it didn't have a 600cc motor. He was speaking of some other bike.
    No, the first & second sentences in that quote from jc are all about the sub $10k Spyder, then he wrote "The lean forward riding position is gone", & in doing so, making a statement showing he'd closed off his sub $10k discussion; he then followed that with "They could not sell them even when they did discount them to the 11k range" which I read as being in reference to the ST's & RSS's with the lean forward riding position (that is now gone) which BRP could not sell when they discounted them to the $11k range - those ST's & RSS's with the sportier riding positions that were discounted that low STILL just sat in the dealer showrooms, which is why the sportier riding position is dead!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-22-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are differences in weight and drive train. The F3 and F3S have the original larger rear sprocket as was launched in 2015 and nominally 850 lb weight. The F3T and Ltd models have an RT sprocket, which reduces acceleration but improves fuel mileage. The RT models weigh in at 1150+ lb, which affects acceleration. The hp is 115 across all models, modesty for a sport bike and certainly for one that weighs 850 lb. The weight bias is forward allowing for a nice burn out but compromises acceleration due to wheel slip.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    There are differences in weight and drive train. The F3 and F3S have the original larger rear sprocket as was launched in 2015 and nominally 850 lb weight. The F3T and Ltd models have an RT sprocket, which reduces acceleration but improves fuel mileage. The RT models weigh in at 1150+ lb, which affects acceleration. The hp is 115 across all models, modesty for a sport bike and certainly for one that weighs 850 lb. The weight bias is forward allowing for a nice burn out but compromises acceleration due to wheel slip.

Actually the S and the T have the large sprocket. The F3 base model and the Limited have the smaller RT sprocket on the 17 models. I think the 18s are the same but have not seen them in person yet.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I think there is a market (maybe big) for tilting 3-wheeler if someone can build one that is reasonably priced and performing. There's a guy on the west coast that offers a kit to convert Harley's and GW's to a tilting 3-wheeler see https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/. Obviously some people are able and willing to ditch big money for a 3-wheeler bike. It looks like tilting 3-wheelers are coming so I hope Can-Am is working on one.

Spyder Garage

Yes it is ugly. Looks like a crouch rocket with a third wheel. I wonder how it will handle on a wet road and what happens if one of the front tires hits a slick spot and looses traction in a curve.

Spyder Garage

Default Very interesting

Very interesting as I'd never seen this.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    I think there is a market (maybe big) for tilting 3-wheeler if someone can build one that is reasonably priced and performing. There's a guy on the west coast that offers a kit to convert Harley's and GW's to a tilting 3-wheeler see https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/. Obviously some people are able and willing to ditch big money for a 3-wheeler bike. It looks like tilting 3-wheelers are coming so I hope Can-Am is working on one.
    Of course there is a market for 3 wheelers the Spyder is in it, in2012 the two models judged wee the Spyder and HD servicar for a total markey of $160mill US alone.

The tilting motorworks system was trash, I think they have been trying to improve it but the have no market penetration. The www.tremoto.com is better by a long way but no production models anyone who DOESn't want to ride a tilting 3 wheeler has forgotten what its like to knee down and lets face it as we age knee down isnt for everyone but a 1 degree radian of force on the rider absolutely positively is the most blissful feeling in your life, it is the feeling of pure ecstasy that provokes every rider to their first bike and beyond.

For years I worked with Tremoto thinking they could make the model I want but the width of a Tremoto is illegal in Australia, hell even the width of a Spyder and a servicar is Illegal and both of them prevent lane splitting and filtering up the the front of the lights. The Yamaha is in my opinion ugly as sin and sub-optimal in its hardware but it still could be a great ride. Theres also a time and a rider for the Spyder and Im not knocking that either but not getting a lot of changeover, 2012 figures showed the almost half the riders jumping onto a 3 wheeler it was their first bike.

I am building the prototype of my 3 wheeler as I speak and I am going to bring the offering I want to market because it will give spyder rider the stability they love at slow speeds and the 1 radian o force most riders want at high speeds so it may capture a lot of first time riders and a lot of change-over riders.

Its going to be wonderful!! I'll be relying on new technologies in manufacturing at the end of the day to bring this to life as making jigs for 5000 bikes isnt a cost a business can bare. A kit will lead to a custom to a bespoke to several models to a new vehicle....... so long as there is demand id keep going.

Anyone who wants to win the race be in the race! Let the year of the 3 wheeler roll on!
    Last edited by SXSMachine; 04-06-2018 at 12:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

I guess the Niken is bad news for you then....I’m not a Yamaha fan, but not likely you will beat what they have built.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
    I guess the Niken is bad news for you then....I知 not a Yamaha fan, but not likely you will beat what they have built.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do....

Spyder Garage

In Germany, many want to test drive the Nikon, but no one wants to buy.
    Spyder RT driving is like a marriage, one sitting in front and steering, the rear clinging

Spyder Garage

Im not defending or supporting Yamaha's entry into the three wheel market, but I seem to remember back in 2008 on most of the motorcycle blogs everyone was bashing the very idea of BRP coming out with ....of all things a three wheeler. Change Spyder to Niken and the comments were the same, I guress we will just have to wait and see if its a winner of a bust!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

You still have to shift it with a clutch and you still have to hold it up. What's the point of buying it over a regular two wheeler?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How is this in any way a Spyder-related topic? And, who really cares what 'they' think?

Yamaha has not come up with a better camera than a Nikon, and to my knowledge has not merged with that company.

Please move this to 'off topic' where it belongs.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

-------------------------- warning-------off topic-----------------ing

Does the Niken have scoops like a V-Max??? The motorcycle the Niken is based on had small scoops. Gotta have big scoops-------- ing.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 11-24-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow