Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I meant slow sales to begin and then it would catch on and sell well.
    Oh I got you, it must have been me that was not clear I was agreeing with you!

Yep we are in total agreement except I know that suspension is not optimal because I know why its not optimal. Maybe it can keep up with a sportsbike ridden by someone else but ridden back to back the two wheeler should always be faster even if you took weight and "flikability" out of the equation.

Here's to what's coming and what rings everyones bell.

Spyder Garage

Default Price ???????

https://autos.maxabout.com/bikes/yamaha/niken

I found a "price" for the Yamaha Niken in India ₹ 16,00,000
    Now if my currency converter is right $24,476.81 US
    Depending on import duties.............Id guess $16,000 to $18,000 US
    List for a base F3 is $20,800 and it comes with a frunk. no storage in the Niken

Spyder Garage

Having ridden a Piaggio MP3 for some distance, and having owned 2-wheel scooters in the past, I wouldn't have any objection to keeping one in the garage if it had had some more power. More or less like the Yamaha Niken. The two front wheels makes it feel much more stable in corners, especially ones with gravel or uneven surface as often experienced here. It could be held upright by locking the suspension, so no need for feet down when coming to a stop. I still have a 2-wheeler to get the lean in corners, and if the Yamaha comes here at a decent price it might well end up replacing my Spyder and my F650GS.
    -artig
    -2016 blue Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    My blog with walks and rides

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    ...still needs a kickstand...
    Do I have a deal for you! Click below:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...have-accessory

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Anything with a chain drive is enough to make me look the other way.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Having stability with the Spyder is great, but that isn't the main reason I bought one. I bought one because it is different. There is something alluring to the Spyder and it catches the eye of almost everyone, whether they like it or not. In my opinion, it is one of the coolest looking things on the road that is in my financial reach. ALMOST every motorcycle I see on the road is cookie cutter. This Niken doesn't look much different than any bike of that class, except with two wheels in the front. That being said, if the Spyder did not exist, I might be tempted.
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    There probably is a small subset of the Spyder community that would opt for a less stable platform. Piaggio has had this design out for a few years but I've yet to see one on the road. Performance needs to be vetted.

We've ridden the current competition but keep coming back to the Spyder for safety and performance.

Wayne
    Something to consider; 30% higher cornering grip threshold (~.7G vs ~1.0G) puts the Niken in another realm vs the Spyder. Im not certain that the traction control will be as invasive as on the Spyder, but the vastly higher limits, superior acceleration and braking, will mean this design has a lot of “baked in” stability. If Yamaha incorporates a stability system into it, safety won’t be comparable, it will landslide in favour of the Niken.

Add to that no centripetal force trying to dislodge you when turning, I can’t picture a scenario where safety would be compromised? It’s not an unproven design or layout, just an unproven/unknown version of it. I am a die-hard, 2000+mile a year snowmobiler, 1000+ mile a year ATV’r. I like the platform and feel of both, but the Spyder misses the mark that both those machines hit, mostly when ridden hard. For cruising, the Spyder is probably king. On road there is nothing like the completely neutral / natural feel of a motorcycle, but they are so flawed with regards to safety, as the front end is just too unreliable.

I intend to purchase one of these (sold the Spyder), and the only thing I foresee missing is, in my humble opinion, worlds best engine, the V-Twin. Everything an engine should be, character, torque, horsepower, and the best soundtrack of any machine, ever.
    Last edited by isthatahemi; 02-11-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Spyder Garage

Don't worry, Yamaha will perfect it. They, like Honda, will run the crap out of it and put it thru it's paces. The Japs have the money and technology to back-up any design they wish to market. And I will guarantee you, that the Japs will have the "BUGS" worked out before it or anything hits the market for consumption!! Mad Mac

Spyder Garage

Lol - I guess you’ve never owned a first year Yamaha product? They are THE WORST company in the past 15 years or so with first year defects. I got burnt, so did a bunch of my buddies. Yamaha is not what you think, nor what it used to be. I could list the huge list of first year botches, but let’s name a few; Phazer, Nytro, Apex, R6, Kodiak ATV, 2014 FZ09. All those were riddled with huge design or engineering defects, (first hand experience here for most of them, I swore off buying any yamhas forever, would have to make an exception here). Most BRP, Ford, and Honda stuff had been nearly flawless in my experience by comparison. Yamaha has a weird track record of engineering awesome technology, and screwing up the implementation. They always sort it out, but the above list has so many recalls, TSB’s, updates, and lawsuits you would be staggered if I detailed them all.

Spyder Garage

Wink V-Max

I'll stick with my old, slow V-Max. BUT----- as a Yamaha product------ it has never given me any mechanical trouble and has shown it's taillight to many a bike and all the cars.

but I don't race any more.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
    Lol - I guess you’ve never owned a first year Yamaha product? They are THE WORST company in the past 15 years or so with first year defects. I got burnt, so did a bunch of my buddies. Yamaha is not what you think, nor what it used to be. I could list the huge list of first year botches, but let’s name a few; Phazer, Nytro, Apex, R6, Kodiak ATV, 2014 FZ09. All those were riddled with huge design or engineering defects, (first hand experience here for most of them, I swore off buying any yamhas forever, would have to make an exception here). Most BRP, Ford, and Honda stuff had been nearly flawless in my experience by comparison. Yamaha has a weird track record of engineering awesome technology, and screwing up the implementation. They always sort it out, but the above list has so many recalls, TSB’s, updates, and lawsuits you would be staggered if I detailed them all.
    My experience w/ Yamaha has been a good one or I didn't run it hard enough to break it(Phazer (snowmobile), V-max (motorcycle & snowmobiles), virago, boat motors, quads(Grizzlies). Plus numerous Honda's( about 25 of them). The Japs cross-engineer most of their recreational products and they (at the time I was a service manager) manufacture enough spare parts to take care of the products they sell, way better dealer network than BRP has at the time. Now I'm not going to sit here and bash the hell out of BRP, I do like their
    side by side line(Maverick/Commander) and snowmobile product line, very high performance oriented. I am a retired Moto-x and desert racer from the late 70's and off and on in the 80's and 90's when Uncle Sam would allow me the time. I just hope I have the same kind of reliability with this machine as I had with my Jap bikes, like my '94 and '03 Gold Wing's, put the key in, start, and go. Just the way I like it when I'm on the road recreating and seeing what this country and yours(yes, I've been up that way also) has to offer. Mac

Spyder Garage

Gotta LOVE a V-Max. Thats a bike to but a double front end on. I'd definately take that in an instant, depending on the styling even over the Honda Neowing. Its a bike that deserves to be ridden at leaning front end potential.

Spyder Garage

A New Trend is Happening
    Yamaha has a new "tourer" on the market.

The Eluder. It is a "re-birth" of the Venture Touring. It will be sold "less" touring topcase.

This one will be an 1800 cc V-twin, has analog gauges. Weight 873#. The entry level is $22,499. About $500 less than the 1800cc/6 wing.

The article:
    Before I rode the Yamaha Star Eluder, I wondered if it should be called the Enigma. As a package, the motorcycle didn't immediately make sense to me.

The Eluder is essentially the Venture touring motorcycle Yamaha introduced last year without the top box, passenger backrest, rear speakers and the Sure-Park feature (an electric motor that helps the rider maneuver into parking spots). There are some other minor styling differences, such as blacked-out parts on the Eluder, but it still has two defining elements that struck me as contrasting when I saw them on the Venture: a thoroughly modern and full-featured touch screen infotainment system and electronic rider aids package coupled with a very traditional, low-revving, air-cooled V-twin engine.
    I'll get to the riding impression in a minute (skip ahead if you just want the review), but before I even threw a leg over the Eluder, I was eager to ask the Yamaha execs why they chose this engine for their touring bikes.

A link to my original thread with some pictures.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d-is-Happening
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 11-24-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'll go to the link in a minute but I would three wheel the MT01- which was never brought to the US - and it had the 1800cc aircooled engine its a mover n shaker in the street-sports format. I love it and its number one on my bikes to buy now I have moved to a bike friendly place..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ront_right.jpg
    Last edited by SXSMachine; 02-19-2018 at 09:38 PM. Reason: picture

Spyder Garage

That is just flat out not true. Yamaha is considered to be the best motorcycle manufacturer in the world, ranking right up there with Honda in overall quality.

If you or your buddies got lemons, which all companies have, then sorry. However, to say they are "worst" motorcycle manufacturer on the planet for first year model defects is completely wrong. There is plenty of documentation around to disprove your assertion.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I could call fake news but I will give you the benefit of a doubt and say it is simply a case of you personally having a bad experience. Yamaha has been proven to be the most reliable motorcycle in the world. I have owned several Yamaha's and have been pleased with all of them. As to your statement about a first year Yamaha - I purchased a first year 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 with the VIN ending in 044 meaning it was the 44th machine coming off the line. I was the first person to have one in my area and I still have it. It has been totally trouble free, not a glitch or a hiccup. The FJ-09 (name changed to Tracer 900 for model year 2019) has the same engine as the Niken which is an 847cc inline triple putting out 115 crank horsepower. The Niken will be a little slower because it will weigh almost a hundred more pounds. However it will have better braking and most likely better handling at speed. I will wait for the reviews of the Niken by the motorcycle mag's just as I did with the FJ-09 and if they are what I think they will be I will buy one of the first ones at the dealer just as I did with my current Yamaha. Looks are subjective. I wouldn't call the Niken ugly although it does look a bit strange...and mean at the same time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something to consider; 30% higher cornering grip threshold (~.7G vs ~1.0G) puts the Niken in another realm vs the Spyder...
    ????? 1.0 is nearly 43% higher than .7

And that IS a LOT!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    That is just flat out not true. Yamaha is considered to be the best motorcycle manufacturer in the world, ranking right up there with Honda in overall quality.

If you or your buddies got lemons, which all companies have, then sorry. However, to say they are "worst" motorcycle manufacturer on the planet for first year model defects is completely wrong. There is plenty of documentation around to disprove your assertion.
    If you ignore the tangible examples I gave, then I suppose you can keep believing in Yamaha. All the ones I mentioned were first year screwups. It’s not like I didn’t own a few of them, and in my circle we owned every example. If you are the type of person that loves what they buy, anything and everything is great. On the other end, there are haters, in between is someone like me who will call a winner, loser, or a non-event. But Yamaha has had first year issues, not all the time, but the worst I’ve ever seen had been from them.

bikes they do well, so I might still buy one, but I don’t pretend it couldn’t be in need of half a dozen updates at some point. My real issue with Yamaha is the deception that takes place after the sale, deny, deny, and then eventually fix it. Like the internet doesn’t exist. And there are too many sycophants out there postulating urban legends about their reliability. My Phazer with $9000 in warranty claims is but one example. Moving on../

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I find beauty is what you get used to. Anyone remember when the F3 first came out?
    Yes sir, and I still think the front is fugly, but I have one. Can't see the front when your sitting on it and it does not perform as good as my GS, but I'm working on it.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Not too sure I see the point, it does not offer the stability of a Spyder, nor the nimbleness of a two wheeler??????
    I cannot see why someone would want the new Yamaha Niken as it still requires using a kick stand???????? No stability... GO SPYDER!!!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Neowing

It's too late in the game for me to try anything new. I'm sold on my '14 RT-S.
    But it would be fun to see something new. Before my Spyder I rode Honda's for years.
    Honda has been typically tight lipped on the Neowing. All I can find is pictures. No info on
    engine size, just a flat 4, nothing on transmission. It's said to have 2 electric motors.
    What's that mean? Run a gyroscope? Run a turbo?
    The truth will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I meant slow sales to begin and then it would catch on and sell well.
    I don't know any claims they make to be wrong since I haven't seen or ridden one.
    It hardly seems like a starter bike to me, that would be a Honda rebel 300 or TU250 or the like.
    My guess is that Honda will be along with their Neowing in a couple years after Yamaha tests the market.

Spyder Garage

Default Tilting Trikes

There's an outfit named Tilting Motor Works that makes a front end tilting trike kit for Harley Davidsons and Honda Gold Wings. Tilts up to 45 degrees and also has an available hydraulic stabilizer that holds the bike upright at stops and up to 3 mph in parking lots etc. There are some YouTube videos of the trike in action. They are also developing kits for Indian motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

Noooooo storage compartments ENOUGH SAID for me.

2015 RT Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    It's said to have 2 electric motors.
    What's that mean?
    It's a hybrid.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Niken update

So looks like the Niken will be arriving in the fall as a 2019 giving Yamaha these next few months to improve on it and get the bugs out of it! I’m not 100% sure it’s coming to Canada but likely I was looking at buying a new spider but I’m going to hold off and wait till the fall when Yamaha releases their niken and BRP may release their sport tilting spider that I have verification is in the works as we speak!! The future looks bright
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!