Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Yamaha Nikon three wheeler

At The 10 year homecoming anniversary in Valcourt I told Jose Bousouli and DennyLapoint about the new up-and-coming Yamaha three wheeler and told them they better get moving on a new sport tilting model to replace the RRS! They did not take me too seriously nor was I even sure but Yamaha just released last week A production model available this spring! Quite a weapon with a 900 3 cylinder change drive and only 3 feet wide still needs a kickstand not as stable as a spider but definitely way more performance orientated! Now I’m not one to jump to a different brand but after my test ride it fits everything I think it might be I might be going over to the Japanese side of things! Check this thing out on YouTube it will Rev your heart! LOL! Will not be interesting to the senior crowd but definitely for beginners women and midlife crisis people like myself LOL! Also should pull the sport two wheelers to the three wheel side due to the fact it handles just like a two wheeler I can’t wait to try it ! Please chime in on your thoughts and comments about this after watching video and checking out photos! Not sure on pricing yet but there are two wheeler 900 is 8000 US 9700 Canadian so I’m thinking they will be delivering this under 14,000 A mere pittance compared to the price of F3!!!
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Lamont what do you think

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    At The 10 year homecoming anniversary in Valcourt I told Jose Bousouli and DennyLapoint about the new up-and-coming Yamaha three wheeler and told them they better get moving on a new sport tilting model to replace the RRS! They did not take me too seriously nor was I even sure but Yamaha just released last week A production model available this spring! Quite a weapon with a 900 3 cylinder change drive and only 3 feet wide still needs a kickstand not as stable as a spider but definitely way more performance orientated! Now I’m not one to jump to a different brand but after my test ride it fits everything I think it might be I might be going over to the Japanese side of things! Check this thing out on YouTube it will Rev your heart! LOL! Will not be interesting to the senior crowd but definitely for beginners women and midlife crisis people like myself LOL! Also should pull the sport two wheelers to the three wheel side due to the fact it handles just like a two wheeler I can’t wait to try it ! Please chime in on your thoughts and comments about this after watching video and checking out photos! Not sure on pricing yet but there are two wheeler 900 is 8000 US 9700 Canadian so I’m thinking they will be delivering this under 14,000 A mere pittance compared to the price of F3!!!
    Hey Lamont what do you think of this thing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There probably is a small subset of the Spyder community that would opt for a less stable platform. Piaggio has had this design out for a few years but I've yet to see one on the road. Performance needs to be vetted.

We've ridden the current competition but keep coming back to the Spyder for safety and performance.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

It's definitely a looker. But, unless they offer a semi auto transmission and vertical locking when stopping then this would not be something my wife would want. She really likes the stability that the Spyder offers coming to a stop. If they do end up coming up with that, or the NEOwing comes out then all bets are off.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ugly
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Yamaha Nikon

That is a fine looking machine with great lean angles, if priced right should do well
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Novel....interesting

Been all over the place in the internet. They are really pushing it but I have to say it is a lot of hardwear on a sport bike and seems it will be a fun ride but most will go home to the two wheeler/three wheelers they have and enjoy. There will be some who will go for it no doubt...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not too sure I see the point, it does not offer the stability of a Spyder, nor the nimbleness of a two wheeler??????
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Not too sure I see the point, it does not offer the stability of a Spyder, nor the nimbleness of a two wheeler??????
    I agree. Seems like adding weight and technology (that you can't afford to have go wrong) just to be able to lean. It does not appeal to me. But who knows. It might if I rode one.

i am sure there is a niche group that it will attract. How big that group will be is anybody's guess at this point. I am sure Yamaha has done market surveys. But those don't always pan out either.

By the way. It is a Yamaha Niken (not Nikon). Though several places refer to it as a Nikon for some reason.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I look at it from a completely different perspective. The Niken would likely be much more nimble than a Spyder, and more stable than a normal two wheeler. I like it, and it will probably end up in my garage depending on reviews. Either as a replacement to my Spyder, or an addition to it.

Hank

Spyder Garage

So it does not have the stability of a Spyder and it does not have the speed of a sport bike.

So what is it that its actually supposed to do better than either one of those? Just do not see any advantage to this unless it was self stabilizing and could hold itself upright at low or zero speed. Without that, its just a fat slow bike with an extra wheel.

I truly do no think BRP is at all concerned with it. There is very little market for BRP in the sport bike area. The RSS did not sell and is why its gone.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Niken not Nikon

Sorry about misspelling the name must be my French Canadian spelling getting in the way! As a Snowmobiler first What drew me to the spider stability is a similar stance on the ground when stopping although I do spend a day every year my local Yamaha dealer by the end of day I am secure on two wheelers! My 2012 RSS is getting long in the tooth mileage is getting way up there so I am looking for a new one highly considering of F3 S could do the trick! A Thorough test ride of the niken Would make it or break it!!! so anyway it doesn’tlook like a very good cross country ride as their bikes are pretty naked!! Right after test ride I will give a full report I have my impressions!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Three Wheeler???

I'm surprised that YAMAHA would come out with something so ugly! That front end has to weigh a ton! But beauty being in the eye of the beholder, it doesn't fit mine.

Spyder Garage

Total wet wait with anti-freeze and gas and oil is only 578 pounds where the RSS dry weight is 700+++ also wait is balanced 50-50 when Ryder is on it front to back

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    Sorry about misspelling the name must be my French Canadian spelling getting in the way! As a Snowmobiler first What drew me to the spider stability is a similar stance on the ground when stopping although I do spend a day every year my local Yamaha dealer by the end of day I am secure on two wheelers! My 2012 RSS is getting long in the tooth mileage is getting way up there so I am looking for a new one highly considering of F3 S could do the trick! A Thorough test ride of the niken Would make it or break it!!! so anyway it doesn’tlook like a very good cross country ride as their bikes are pretty naked!! Right after test ride I will give a full report I have my impressions!!
    Not your fault. Several places on Google list it (erroneously) as a Nikon. At least you have a lot of company in this 'error'!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    By the way. It is a Yamaha Niken (not Nikon). Though several places refer to it as a Nikon for some reason.
    Maybe because spell checkers know about the camera?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yup! Caught the spelling glitch. "Niken." Had to search it on line.

Two things come to mind. As Highwayman said--"Ugly."

x 2.

Looks like a Piaggio on steroids. I am guessing this is an entry level test. If it takes off, Spyder could have some competition. I am not in the market for this one though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

From what I understand the Piaggio MP3 is very popular in Europe and other places around the world where scooters are a mode of daily transportation, due to its superior cornering traction, especially on those slippery wet cobblestone streets. Seems that two wheels up front are better than one, even if they are rather close together. Sorry, but the Spyder only has pretty well only one wheel up front when cornering hard.

We don't buy as many MP3's in the US and the reason is "just because". You know how we are about something different or something we didn't come up with. Like how long it has taken the over-the-road truckers in the US to begin to accept automatic/autoshift transmissions vs. the rest of the world. Or motorcyclist for that matter.

I suspect the Yamaha Niken will be a screamer in the twisties!

They say the MP3 does nicely.
    MP3 Cobblestone.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I find beauty is what you get used to. Anyone remember when the F3 first came out?
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I find beauty is what you get used to. Anyone remember when the F3 first came out?
    Yup! Nobody wanted that Dodge Pickup. Surprise, surprise--now it seems to be the one everyone likes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Niken can "Nick off"!! lol

The Niken was ugly as a prototype and they didnt change it for production. The claim some sports bike heritage to it but suspension like that isnt sportsbike handling but you CAN make sportbike handling suspension.

They should have waited til the had the OR2T as a 3 and 4 wheeler (shame USA and Australia are the only 2 significant markets where you cant have 4 wheelers (some spots in US yes)) put the production finishes and gone with that although I'd like to see how it corners with its slab sided front end that close together.

If the Niken succeeds it will possibly take 3 years to take off and possibly thats why they are going with a bike they can easily trump themselves.

The big thing I think for Spyder product will be if Honda put the Neowing in the market, but they rarely do things first where-as Yamaha do (1980 GTS 1000 monoside front end). If Honda does put in the Neowing it will be to win that category not come second.

Be safe on the roads coming to Winter you Nthner's!!

Spyder Garage

Default now 4 threads on this Niken

the Niken gets more press here than in the papers

a. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...65#post1312465
    b. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...09063-YAMAHA-3
    c. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...84#post1312584
    d. this one

read 'em all
    many opinions for sure
    I think a slow start and then they'll sell the heck out of them

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I think a slow start and then they'll sell the heck out of them
    Its a starter bike but they make the wrong claims....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    Its a starter bike but they make the wrong claims....

I meant slow sales to begin and then it would catch on and sell well.
    I don't know any claims they make to be wrong since I haven't seen or ridden one.
    It hardly seems like a starter bike to me, that would be a Honda rebel 300 or TU250 or the like.
    My guess is that Honda will be along with their Neowing in a couple years after Yamaha tests the market.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Hi WA5VHU,

Re: From what I understand the Piaggio MP3 is very popular in Europe

1 1/2 yrs ago I spent about two weeks in France, mostly in Paris. They were EVERYWHERE; very popular.

Your attached photo looks like it could have been taken in Paris,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5