Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thumbs down on Factory Luggage Rack - Any suggestions?

I didn't ask enough questions when I ordered a luggage rackwith my new F3-T. I am asking for suggestions as to what to do. Are there goodsized bags that would work here, or an aftermarket luggage rack that will workwith the antennae, or...?
    I have two major complaints:
    1. Very little room. Not only is it the smallest luggagerack I have ever had, the antennae reduces the effective size.
    2. It slopes down. Just seems like a bad idea.
    I have attached pictures.
    Thanks for the responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gnorthern; 11-09-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I do.

This only works if you ride solo. If you don't, put her on her own Spyder and then it'll work.

Dowco - 50156-00 - Motorcycle Luggage System, Large Roll Bag
    Last edited by Copperman; 11-09-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default I do ride solo

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    This only works if you ride solo. If you don't, put her on her own Spyder and then it'll work.
    I do ride solo. I was actually planning on carrying two dry bags.

I am simply wondering if I should ask for a refund on the rack since it seems pretty. I have always had two good sized side cases, and top case, and a dry bag. The front truck F3-T is smaller than my the top cases I always purchased, and the side cases are smaller than the Givi side cases that went through three motorcycles. It looks like I will have less room, and that does not thrill me.

Spyder Garage

I've always viewed luggage racks as bling. Not very functional, but looks nice. And not all look nice, but the BRP luggage rack for the F3 is one that does. If you like the way it looks, keep it. If not, return it. Just know it's only bling.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

D93230B8-AA09-4832-B8DF-9462E839E4E3.jpgHere's mine I use a top box and a dry bag on the passenger seat, no antenna problem at all.http://www.bakerbuiltairwings.com/pr...?prod=SPYF3TLR
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

It works well for me when travelling solo. BUT...... I have a Touratech/Ortleib 75litre drybag that is around 14” wide and 25” long. I run it front to back, rack and passenger seat, rather than across, and the antennae is up against the bag but doesn’t interfere. Being a drybag it bends slightly to follow the rack angle. I can strap another dry bag on top of it if needed. But that is the only configuration I have found that works, so it is indeed limited in what you can carry.

i can’t post picture unfortunately as I have the adjustable passenger backrest on at the moment.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Can you describe it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It works well for me when travelling solo. BUT...... I have a Touratech/Ortleib 75litre drybag that is around 14” wide and 25” long. I run it front to back, rack and passenger seat, rather than across, and the antennae is up against the bag but doesn’t interfere. Being a drybag it bends slightly to follow the rack angle. I can strap another dry bag on top of it if needed. But that is the only configuration I have found that works, so it is indeed limited in what you can carry.

i can’t post picture unfortunately as I have the adjustable passenger backrest on at the moment.

Pete
    Two questions:
    1. Exactly how do you prevent the second bag from rolling from one side to another when going around corners? Just cinch it down really hard?
    2. How big is the bag you put on top?

Spyder Garage

Default Straps

That rack makes handy places to strap to.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    Two questions:
    1. Exactly how do you prevent the second bag from rolling from one side to another when going around corners? Just cinch it down really hard?
    2. How big is the bag you put on top?
    The Touratech has a wonderful attachment system that allows you to cinch the top bag onto the lower bag very firmly. I was thinking of my previous Ortleib when I said 70 litres. The large Touratech is 50 litres, which is around 14” wide by 25” long as per my first post. The top bag is 31 litres. I would imagine that cinching down tight would give a similar stability, depending on the bag, but I’m only guessing.....sorry.

Looks like this -

https://touratech.com.au/home/news/3...rcycle-luggage

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built Luggage Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    D93230B8-AA09-4832-B8DF-9462E839E4E3.jpgHere's mine I use a top box and a dry bag on the passenger seat, no antenna problem at all.http://www.bakerbuiltairwings.com/pr...?prod=SPYF3TLR

Thanks for the post. The Luggage Rack for the Spyder F3T is simple and easy to install and holds alot! great way to mount a box to which does not effect the antenna at all. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us. (1-800-451-9464 or info@bakerbuilt.com) These can also be found online at the above mentioned link. Thanks for your time.

Spyder Garage

Question Theft of Strapped down Bag

My apologies for changing the topic, but the wife and I are planning on doing some long rides next year and the question came up do you folks UN-strap your stuff and take it with you into the restaurant to eat or just take your chances that somebody does not relieve you of the dry bags attached to your spyders.

Spyder Garage

No unstrapping to go to eat, it does take a while to remove when going to the hotel room.439C8ACD-9671-4D75-B54D-7D78C76EA270.jpg
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

We have traveled all over the place with a dry bag strapped across my back seat. I have never had anyone try to steal it.

Spyder Garage

If you are going to mount a top box or large duffle behind the passenger seat on this rack, you need to move the antenna just like BRP does for the top box.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If you are going to mount a top box or large duffle behind the passenger seat on this rack, you need to move the antenna just like BRP does for the top box.
    I didn’t have to, it bends.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

vcm_s_kf_repr_882x588.jpgI strap a bag between the driver and passenger back rests. It has a large Velcro strap that wraps around passenger back rest, and straps that wrap around hand grips. This added enough space to go cross country.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Happy ending

The dealer agreed to give me store credit for my rack. I will be purchasing an aftermarket rack.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    No unstrapping to go to eat, it does take a while to remove when going to the hotel room.439C8ACD-9671-4D75-B54D-7D78C76EA270.jpg
    Can you post exactly what that top box is?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

A friend of Mine makes this rack for the F3 and it's one tough strong rack

Spyder Garage

There's no luggage rack that I know of that works with the Can Am adjustable passenger backrest installed.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Default rear carrier

Check out mlbinnovations@gmail.com Heavy flat carrier. I have a givi top case mounted.

Spyder Garage

Default can-am spyder f3 luggage rack

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    Does he make a rack without using the passenger seat? If so, how much are the luggage racks (over the real tire)?

Daryl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h100250 View Post
    My apologies for changing the topic, but the wife and I are planning on doing some long rides next year and the question came up do you folks UN-strap your stuff and take it with you into the restaurant to eat or just take your chances that somebody does not relieve you of the dry bags attached to your spyders.
    Never done the unstrapping thing for restaurants. I do try to keep the bike parked where it is visible to me. Don't like people taking "test sits."

Overnight stays in the hotel--don't leave anything you don't want stolen. I mistakenly left the key in the ignition overnight in Fairbanks AK. After an hour of looking for the &^%$ key in the morning, went out to the parking lot--the 's were there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    Questio asked already, but I am also keen to know availability and price. Mine is for the F3Ltd.
    2016 F3Ltd , Red