Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT-L question...

This has been bugging me for a while, and I haven't been able to find a solid answer...
    Will I need to purchase a Smart-Phone in order to use any GPS functions on the new bike?
    I don't own one, and I'd rather not have to: we have NO cell service, and NO Wi-Fi available up here.
    It all seems that if a phone is needed: BRP should provide a device with the necessary "connectability".
    Or will the bike show up with a GPS in it that I can already use?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

From my understanding of how it works. You will need a smart device. Typically a smartphone, but a small cheap tablet should work as well. The app runs on the device not on the Spyder. It is just displayed on the Spyder screen and commands are sent to the device. So for your example of a gps app. You need a device that is gps capable. There is no need for a cell connection or any data for most gps apps. Maps can and should be preloaded on the device. Some side functions of a gps like traffic need a data connection but if you are in an area with no cell service. You won't need traffic info either.

So buy a cheap smartphone or small cheap tablet. Even many old used ones will likely work. If it's a smartphone do not buy any cell service. Plug it into your Spyder and leave it there. Just like you would do with an ipod now.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tanks A Bunch.jpg
    I think that I almost understand what you said...
    Do you think that an IPad Mini would work?

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't worry Bob

Even if you need a smart phone for navigation, you can still use your AAA maps to get where you are going!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Tanks A Bunch.jpg
    I think that I almost understand what you said...
    Do you think that an IPad Mini would work?
    I would think a ipad mini would work. I did a quick spec check it should have a gps chip. You would need to check the specific model you are thinking about.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Missus is throwing me a curve right now...
    Does anyone have the list of "Smart Stuff" that will work with the BRP system?

Spyder Garage

I do not believe that you will need anything such as an iphone for the GPS feature to work. I will have a 2018 demo as soon as it hits one of our stores and will be able to better answer questions at that time but my initial understanding is the GPS feature is complete on the new Spyders that have the digital screen.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Joe,
    That would be OUTSTANDING!!
    Please let me know what you find out...
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I talked to the BRP rep at the Spyder in the Hills Rally in Boerne a couple weeks ago, and ask him about that. He said that the 2018 Spyder has no GPS on board and, it depends on getting it from your smart phone, so I don’t think it can navigate on its own. And it doesn’t work with all map apps either. I don’t even think google maps was one that would work. More could be added in the future though. Sorry Bob, I think you’ll have to get a smartphone for that feature to work on the Spyder.
    Last edited by george123; 11-09-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not hook up a 665 or 660 like the older models for GPS? I know the new fancy integrated system would be nice too for GPS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's an option; but it ain't a cheap one!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you keep the GPS off your old bike by chance?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I do not believe that you will need anything such as an iphone for the GPS feature to work. I will have a 2018 demo as soon as it hits one of our stores and will be able to better answer questions at that time but my initial understanding is the GPS feature is complete on the new Spyders that have the digital screen.

Cruzr Joe
    Well that does not match what BRP is telling us in the promotional materials that I have seen. Please direct me to where you got this info from. Thanks.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Well that does not match what BRP is telling us in the promotional materials that I have seen. Please direct me to where you got this info from. Thanks.

Billy:

I know that does not match up with the promotional materials and I may be completely wrong, as soon as i get my hands on one (hopefully, next week) i will let everyone know, i was told by a BRP person that you need apps for everything except GPS because the app (or technology) was being supplied by Garmin, but this BRP person was not positive, that is why i am not sure one way or the other.

standing by till I actually get one in hand.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Waiting to hear...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    .... He said that the 2018 Spyder has no GPS on board and, it depends on getting it from your smart phone, so I don’t think it can navigate on its own. ....
    It doesn't have its own on-board GPS? Well, that's kinda cheesy! A little while back, my wife bought me a Garmin GPS unit for my truck from one of those TV shopping channels, and it cost less than $100, with lifetime maps. So, for 2018, BRP dropped the $700-ish Garmin from the Limited edition, and replaced it with ... what exactly? A smart phone repeater?

I don't have a smart phone -- I have a cell phone, and I only use it for emergency purposes. I don't need or want the level of complexity (and frustration) in my life that comes with managing a smart phone. I've watched others fiddle with theirs, and it strikes me as a useless time sink.

Offloading the navigation technology onto the user is, IMO, (and I repeat myself) cheesy. I can understand the technical ability of interfacing with an on-board GPS via a smart phone, but I personally have no need for that, right now. My life ain't that complicated.

Maybe I should have bought that Ural rig after all........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This has been bugging me for a while, and I haven't been able to find a solid answer...
    Will I need to purchase a Smart-Phone in order to use any GPS functions on the new bike?
    I don't own one, and I'd rather not have to: we have NO cell service, and NO Wi-Fi available up here.
    It all seems that if a phone is needed: BRP should provide a device with the necessary "connectability".
    Or will the bike show up with a GPS in it that I can already use?
    Bob,
    Are you sure your 10th Anniversary Spyder is going to have the new digital dash????? I didn't see it on the pictures that were released at the time of their unveiling. That would have been bigger news that the black-n-gold paint scheme which garnered all the attention.
    My '15 is still under warranty, so I'm going to wait & see how this new dash gets sorted out in 2018. Plus, I'm waiting to see if there's a redesigned RT in '19/'20, not that the Misses/CFO will approve a new Spyder purchase.
    Winter weather temps have arrived in central IN. First hard freeze temps(low 20s) arrived this morning. Won't get out of the mid 30s today and tomorrow. Not liking the La Nina predictions for for this winter. My RT-L was serviced at the end of October and is tucked away for the winter.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Bob,
    Are you sure your 10th Anniversary Spyder is going to have the new digital dash????? I didn't see it on the pictures that were released at the time of their unveiling. That would have been bigger news that the black-n-gold paint scheme which garnered all the attention.
    My '15 is still under warranty, so I'm going to wait & see how this new dash gets sorted out in 2018. Plus, I'm waiting to see if there's a redesigned RT in '19/'20, not that the Misses/CFO will approve a new Spyder purchase.
    Winter weather temps have arrived in central IN. First hard freeze temps(low 20s) arrived this morning. Won't get out of the mid 30s today and tomorrow. Not liking the La Nina predictions for for this winter. My RT-L was serviced at the end of October and is tucked away for the winter.
    Mike
    Yes it is!!! Absolutely. The models they used for the unveiling in Valcourt were prototypes. I was with the SR VP of design for the unveiling and while they looked pretty, they were far from complete. The RTL version didn't even have an emergency brake on it for the unveiling!
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 11-10-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Billy:

I know that does not match up with the promotional materials and I may be completely wrong, as soon as i get my hands on one (hopefully, next week) i will let everyone know, i was told by a BRP person that you need apps for everything except GPS because the app (or technology) was being supplied by Garmin, but this BRP person was not positive, that is why i am not sure one way or the other.

standing by till I actually get one in hand.

Cruzr Joe
    Joe:

When you get your hands on one. If it has separate set of instructions for the gauge display. That are not part of the owners manual. Like the some of the previous model years. I would like to see that. If you could scan it and post a link to it. That would be great.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Joe:

When you get your hands on one. If it has separate set of instructions for the gauge display. That are not part of the owners manual. Like the some of the previous model years. I would like to see that. If you could scan it and post a link to it. That would be great.

I will do that, Hopefully it will be a great new experience and not a flat out dud.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry Bob, I think you’ll have to get a smartphone for that feature to work on the Spyder.
    AND......given what he said earlier, he might have to ride to where there IS cell service periodically to get the internal maps updated.

If this new system has bluetooth, wouldn't a "standard" GPS work and just communicate audio to the builtin system ??

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I talked to the BRP rep at the Spyder in the Hills Rally in Boerne a couple weeks ago, and ask him about that. He said that the 2018 Spyder has no GPS on board and, it depends on getting it from your smart phone, so I don’t think it can navigate on its own. And it doesn’t work with all map apps either. I don’t even think google maps was one that would work. More could be added in the future though. Sorry Bob, I think you’ll have to get a smartphone for that feature to work on the Spyder.
    I'm inclined to think that is the way it is. But then again, how much can we trust BRP promotional material? The website for the RT has a footnote that Genius Maps is a trademark of Genius Media Group. Wrong company! It belongs to Mireo, Inc. Genius Media publishes song lyrics.

Anyway here is what is on the RT website. https://www.brp.ca/content/canam-spy...hnologies.html

Be the first rider on the open road to access different vehicle-optimized smartphone apps with Can-Am Spyder. Get directions with Genius Map†, listen to your favorite songs with Music, check the weather with Accuweather †, share experiences with your community with Rever†, and more — all while enjoying your ride.
    Here is what the RT brochure has. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7TCZebeRGlNSOK
    Large panoramic 7.8” wide LCD color display
    with BRP Connect™: allowing the integration
    of vehicle-optimized smartphone apps such
    as media, navigation and many others
    controlled through the handlebars.
    The key phrases above are "vehicle-optimized" and "controlled through the handlebars". Rever is a route planning and sharing app with with what reads on their web site like a rudimentary GPS navigation program. Genius Maps is a free GPS navigation program with offline maps. Additional features are available in a paid version. A data connection is not needed to use Genius Maps while riding. Rever requires a data connection to download maps in real time while riding but not if you just want to log your trip. Neither of the two documents above mention Garmin at all.

What isn't discussed is if BRP Connect is a proprietary control and display communication protocol for which the mentioned apps have a version that conforms, or if there is some Android industry "standard" that apps are adopting that allows communication between the vehicle control buttons and the app to control the app, and to mirror the smartphone or tablet screen on the cluster screen. Whatever communication Apple uses you can be sure it is proprietary to Apple! The Android world is so fractured I don't think any sort of a closed or proprietary protocol would be widely adopted nor survive long.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After looking at the info below it looks like I have to back off of the proprietary comment. Looks like there are several systems in existence. Note especially the bit about "decide which apps can be used on the head units in their cars" that is in the info from Bosch. BRP Connect may very well be proprietary and the only apps we'll see that can use it are the ones BRP wants us to see. Also, a big difference is all the systems I read about use the touch screen of the vehicle to control the smartphone. With the Spyder it'll be the handlebar buttons. So, unless an app developer believes there are going to be enough Spyder users who want to use their app, or unless BRP pays for the additional development, don't hold your breath for a slew of apps being available. BRP may not be such a hot feature after all if not many developers tailor their app for it.

Here's some more info about vehicle optimized apps. This is a quote from Jaguar website. https://www.jaguarusa.com/owners/inc...trol-apps.html

Once connected to your smartphone, InControl Apps can be controlled from your vehicle’s touchscreen. To find out how to install InControl Apps and search for compatible apps, please click the link below. Once your chosen apps are downloaded, connect your smartphone via the USB port within the vehicle to use them through the vehicle’s touchscreen.7
    Here's a Google developer web page. https://developer.android.com/auto/index.html

Here's a discussion from Bosch about their mySpin system.

Interface

A streamlined interface presents only essential content to the driver. It displays the information that’s relevant to driving, with nothing distracting or unnecessary. mySPIN is compatible with a wide range of smartphone apps, including music, navigation, news and information, travel assistance, and communication applications. The apps retain their original look and feel, as intended by their publishers. It’s the same user experience, just transferred to the vehicle’s touchscreen in a special car mode.

Benefits

For consumers:

• Smartphone can be easily and safely used inside the vehicle
    • More than music: some apps can be optimized for automotive use and cross-linked to vehicle data
    • More than 45 apps are currently available for mySPIN, with more to come
    • With mySPIN, smartphone apps maintain their original look and feel
    • Works with the top brands in third-party navigation (including real-time traffic and offline usage)
    • Integrates closely with the head unit, e.g. by sending information from the Parkopedia Parking app to IVI navigation

For vehicle manufacturers:

• The mySPIN whitelist lets vehicle manufacturers in each region decide which apps can be used on the head units in their cars
    • Available in many regions (e.g. China) and customized for local requirements
    • Supports Android and iOS smartphones. Support for other operating systems (e.g. Windows) is also possible
    • Bosch is an established automotive supplier with decades of experience in automotive lifecycles and procedures
    • mySPIN can work with very basic systems, even radios with older-generation displays, which lowers costs.
    • Additional cloud services for product optimization (e.g. access to vehicle data) and cus-tomer relationship management (e.g. news channel) are available
    • Vehicle manufacturers can rebrand and design the launcher app according to their own needs

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)