Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Had an Accident; Advice on New Spyder

So, I was returning from having breakfast/lunch at the chinese buffet. Ryding at the speed limit - 35mph. A car pulls into the street, perpendicular to me. About 15 or 20 feet away. AND STOPS! As soon as the thought - "I can't avoid him" - went halfway through my mind, boom. Came to in the ambulance, as the EMTs were holding my head steady; I was on a back board. Suggested to them they could tape the helmet to the board. They responded "that's disgusting".

At the hospital, they cut off my clothes: MY FAVORITE JEANS!!! and stuck me into a CT scanner. The back pain I had was not my spine, but 9 broken ribs. Ugh. 4 days in the hospital. First 2 spent vomiting, because oxy and norco make me sick. Home now, relaxing and healing.

Sent my son to retrieve my belongings from byke. Explained how to open the Frunk, he reported back to me that the frunk cover was no where to be found. He did figure out how to get my stuff, mostly.

Byke was totalled out. It was paid for; that had to be why the accident happened. The financial settlement will give me a good head start on a new Spyder.

So, has anyone installed machine guns in front of their byke to handle situations like the one I faced? The cop who did the investigation stopped by my hospital room to tell me it was not my fault, the car driver was at fault. Debated giving up riding, but I guess I just can't.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Wow! Sorry about your accident, and glad that it wasn't a worse outcome. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are on the mend. Hope you heal quickly. I have seen lots of cagers do crazy stuff. Guess you have to do the best you can. Hang in there.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

So glad your home recooping, hopefully comfortably.. perhaps this should be your next....

4ac6de2f4b32b97db12200e42e6cb4f3.jpg... laughter is the best medicine....except when you have broken ribs....heal well..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    Wow! Sorry about your accident, and glad that it wasn't a worse outcome. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!
    Thanks, Stumpy. What do you think about the machine guns? Would they be legal if I only used them in self-defence?
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    So glad your home recooping, hopefully comfortably.. perhaps this should be your next....

4ac6de2f4b32b97db12200e42e6cb4f3.jpg... laughter is the best medicine....except when you have broken ribs....heal well..
    Do you think I could get it in yellow? How's the gas mileage on it?

Thanks for the well wishes.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Guard - will I need one?

I got the "missing" belt guard for my now deceased 2010 Spyder RT. Will I need one on a newer model - 2014 or newer?
    And - are the windshield risers still that fragile part that broke twice on my 2010?

Are yellow spyders still the fastest?

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that Sandee. Good to see you are on the mend

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Mounts for mgun

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    So, I was returning from having breakfast/lunch at the chinese buffet. Ryding at the speed limit - 35mph. A car pulls into the street, perpendicular to me. About 15 or 20 feet away. AND STOPS! As soon as the thought - "I can't avoid him" - went halfway through my mind, boom. Came to in the ambulance, as the EMTs were holding my head steady; I was on a back board. Suggested to them they could tape the helmet to the board. They responded "that's disgusting".

At the hospital, they cut off my clothes: MY FAVORITE JEANS!!! and stuck me into a CT scanner. The back pain I had was not my spine, but 9 broken ribs. Ugh. 4 days in the hospital. First 2 spent vomiting, because oxy and norco make me sick. Home now, relaxing and healing.

Sent my son to retrieve my belongings from byke. Explained how to open the Frunk, he reported back to me that the frunk cover was no where to be found. He did figure out how to get my stuff, mostly.

Byke was totalled out. It was paid for; that had to be why the accident happened. The financial settlement will give me a good head start on a new Spyder.

So, has anyone installed machine guns in front of their byke to handle situations like the one I faced? The cop who did the investigation stopped by my hospital room to tell me it was not my fault, the car driver was at fault. Debated giving up riding, but I guess I just can't.

~Sandee~
    You may have just given LaMonster an idea for a new product

Does anyone have a list of states that allow riders to carry a gun Legally. I know AZ does(of course I have been reminded by many that we can do it because we are in the Wild West) but CA does not. So if AZ ryders want to feel safer in the far part of the state on I-8 near the border that is fine but when they get to CA what happens to the gun

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you’re okay Sandee. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I’d recommend buying some training materials for “everyone riding” out there. Whether videos or books, such as Ride Like A Pro. Make it a habit of covering your brake before intersections and scanning constantly looking for an escape route when a car attacks. An airbag jacket or vest is a very worthwhile investment. I don’t mean to preach, but i hate to hear this kind of news. Ride safe!!
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Default ice is your friend

~Sandee~
    ice often 25 mins one hour off.
    get some massage every 10 days or so
    stretch to keep your fascia open
    start swimming as soon as you can - in an indoor pool of course.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

"I’d recommend buying some training materials for “everyone riding” out there. Whether videos or books, such as Ride Like A Pro. Make it a habit of covering your brake before intersections and scanning constantly looking for an escape route when a car attacks. An airbag jacket or vest is a very worthwhile investment. I don’t mean to preach, but i hate to hear this kind of news. "

That is such nonsense, there are times when the other guy is just so stupid, there is nothing one can do. That is why they call them accidents.

Just yesterday, in my SUV, too very life experienced ladies, pulled out in front of me at an intersection. They did not look my way before coming out and when they did, thier bumper was already across the center stripe. What did they do? They stepped on the brakes and came to a screeching halt with my grill stairing right into the driver door.

There are so many things wrong here, fortunately, I saw that they did not check traffic my way, so I was prepared and all is well, but I am sure they are shook up. The point is, if they had done the same thing one or two seconds later, I would not have been able to assist and avoid.

This happened because someone was mentally somewhere else.

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 11-08-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Sandee

So sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are still in one piece. Advice from a former Rehab nurse, try and stand or move as much as you can tolerate, it will keep things moving down south if you catch my drift. Hopefully you are doing PT, follow their recommendations and do whatever exercises they prescribe. Good luck in your recovery.

Bob
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But the most important part: you're going to be okay!
    I'm glad to see that you haven't given up on riding.
    Heal quickly and completely; there'll be time for shopping, soon enough!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your accident. Heal quickly.

Shopping for your next Spyder will be good therapy. It'll get you up and about; meets all the requirements of OT/PT.
    Last edited by wyliec; 11-08-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

so i was right, chinese food is bad for your health

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Stumpy. What do you think about the machine guns? Would they be legal if I only used them in self-defence?
    ~Sandee~
    to be really effective, your machine gun should be a laser guided 20mm Vulcan mini gun. The small pieces left over should not be large enough to even make a mark on your windscreen.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

You just made my case, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    "I’d recommend buying some training materials for “everyone riding” out there. Whether videos or books, such as Ride Like A Pro. Make it a habit of covering your brake before intersections and scanning constantly looking for an escape route when a car attacks. An airbag jacket or vest is a very worthwhile investment. I don’t mean to preach, but i hate to hear this kind of news. "

That is such nonsense, there are times when the other guy is just so stupid, there is nothing one can do. That is why they call them accidents.

Just yesterday, in my SUV, too very life experienced ladies, pulled out in front of me at an intersection. They did not look my way before coming out and when they did, thier bumper was already across the center stripe. What did they do? They stepped on the brakes and came to a screeching halt with my grill stairing right into the driver door.

There are so many things wrong here, fortunately, I saw that they did not check traffic my way, so I was prepared and all is well, but I am sure they are shook up. The point is, if they had done the same thing one or two seconds later, I would not have been able to assist and avoid.

This happened because someone was mentally somewhere else.

Joe
    Last edited by papanorm; 11-08-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post

Joe
    Agree with you Joe. Sometimes you are doing everything you can to stay safe and the other guy is just so good and experienced at being unable to think and drive at the same time.

BTW- For many years there's been a move to eliminate the word accident and replace it with crash, which I wholeheartedly support. "Accident" gives the impression that it was just one of those things that just happen and it's no one's fault.

Spyder Garage

Wow! Glad your on the mend and best wishes for a swift and complete recovery.

Gene has the best solution but make sure you have a GAU-8 30mm cannon that fires depleted uranium projectiles. That will eliminate the cage and cager!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Wow! Glad your on the mend and best wishes for a swift and complete recovery.

Gene has the best solution but make sure you have a GAU-8 30mm cannon that fires depleted uranium projectiles. That will eliminate the cage and cager!
    oooooooooooh, even better than the 20mm -- I LIKE IT!
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Glad you came out OK, I got hit by a drunk driver on my 2 wheeler back in 1970. I was stopped at a light and he rear ended me, pushing me out into the intersection where a young guy hit me going the other way and bent the frame of my bike with my leg. It takes a while to recover, but there the joy of riding will overcome your fears. Get well and don't let this accident define your life.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Been in one of those accidents. Speedy recovery to you. Hope you don't loose the will to ride.
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. But glad your here to tell us. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Sandee, been there, done that, in 2002. Crashed bad, quit riding for a year and a half, couldn't stand it, bought an old used bike, took the rider course to see what I could have done different (yes it did help, brought back knowledge and safety points that I had forgotten over my years of riding), and I am back in the saddle for the duration. You hang in there and it will get better! If you had been in the car/truck, it could have still happened, if you had the guns on the front, it would have happened for sure (panic from the driver pulling out in front of you!). Best solution is to get back on that horse and ride it, while watching for more idiots out there to get us..........ride safe young lady, and we hope to see you on 3 in the future!

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)