Spyder Garage

Default Rt 2012 hard to start after parked for 2 weeks

Our 2012 RT has been hard to start if left sitting for 2 weeks , almost acts like gas has ran out and needs to prime up to start. Any one had this before? Thanks Jim

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default hard to start

Quote Originally Posted by redrt View Post
    Our 2012 RT has been hard to start if left sitting for 2 weeks , almost acts like gas has ran out and needs to prime up to start. Any one had this before? Thanks Jim
    Nope that's not likely to be the cause .... All Rt's have a large PARASITIC elec. loss ....more so the V-twin . ... So if you don't keep it on a BATTERY MAINTAINER ( NOT A CHARGER ) the battery can and usually does lose juice ..... If it has been on a maintainer then check the batt terminals they may be loose , if so take out the bolts and put a STAR washer ( teeth in type ) on then clean and tighten .... it won't come loose by itself now .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Nope that's not likely to be the cause .... All Rt's have a large PARASITIC elec. loss ....more so the V-twin . ... So if you don't keep it on a BATTERY MAINTAINER ( NOT A CHARGER ) the battery can and usually does lose juice ..... If it has been on a maintainer then check the batt terminals they may be loose , if so take out the bolts and put a STAR washer ( teeth in type ) on then clean and tighten .... it won't come loose by itself now .... Mike
    I'm still trying to figure out how to maintain the battery during non-use when there is no 120V source nearby. I'm thinking maybe I need to just disconnect the negative terminal?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how to maintain the battery during non-use when there is no 120V source nearby. I'm thinking maybe I need to just disconnect the negative terminal?
    Disconnecting the negative terminal might work, but it might also bring a few other issues with it - it seems that there are a few things that rely on that power being there all the time that could object or make starting just as troublesome....

Have you considered/tried a small solar panel charger?? If there's regular access to daylight wherever you park your Spyder, then that may well work - it can be made to work admirably for many much bigger batteries &/or higher power demands, sometimes just with an A4 sized panel & light-duty un-regulated charging system...

And I do agree that redrt's problem is most likely going to be power related.... possibly even just an aging battery! Is it the original battery?? Had it load tested recently, or replaced it with a new battery?? Maybe it's time?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Disconnecting the negative terminal might work, but it might also bring a few other issues with it - it seems that there are a few things that rely on that power being there all the time that could object or make starting just as troublesome....

Have you considered/tried a small solar panel charger?? If there's regular access to daylight wherever you park your Spyder, then that may well work - it can be made to work admirably for many much bigger batteries &/or higher power demands, sometimes just with an A4 sized panel & light-duty un-regulated charging system...
    That's been my concern, Pete.

I store one of the Spyders in a rental storage shed with no access to power or sunlight, so still trying to figure it out!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

I store one of the Spyders in a rental storage shed with no access to power or sunlight, so still trying to figure it out!
    If there is a light bulb in there you can screw in a " receptacle " socket and get juice from that .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If the battery is in good condition and fully charged it should survive the winter OK if you disconnect the cable so there is no load at all on it. But then in that case you might just as well take it out and bring it home to put it on a maintainer. I don't think there will be any negative consequence to disconnecting and/or removing the battery, contrary to Peter's concern. Many or most or all of the settings in the preferences screen will go back to default, but I think radio settings will stay.

How many months do you think it'll be between parking and using again? If it's only about four then disconnect a cable and don't worry. If around six or more bring the battery home. Looking at climate data for your area it looks like you will have many days of sunshine and lows only drop to about +10°, so I don't think your battery will be subjected to killer cold temps enough to hurt it. Most likely on sunny days the temp inside the storage shed will be above freezing even when it's below freezing inside.

At least the above is what I would do!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)