Spyder Garage

Default Longest Day Rally

Well that's another endurance rally done, one of shorter ones but still 1,230kms (764 miles) in 12hrs 15 minutes.

This one was along some of the best roads available in South Island NZ. From Christchurch headed west through Arthurs Pass, down the West Coast past the glaciers, through Haast pass. Unfortunately the weather decided to show why there's rain forests on the west coast and ended up riding through heavy rain for about 4 hours. My new jacket was fantastic, unfortunately my old trousers and boots less so and I was thoroughly soaked from my waist down.

From near Wanaka it was back across and up through Lindis Pass, past Lake Pukaki with Mount Cook/Aoraki sitting at the other end looking magnificent and then Lake Tekapo. By this time it was bright sunshine and warm but there was a gale blowing (85kmph according to the met service). Still it was a hot Norwester so it helped dry out my wet trousers and boots, it's a ill wind...;-)

From there is was across the Canterbury plains and back to Christchurch for the finishers BBQ. All in all a great ride that even the weather couldn't dampen.

Spyder never missed a beat the whole trip and nanny kept everything safe through the very wet roads of Haast Pass. This was also my first proper long run with the newly fitted SmoothSpyder belt tensioner and Dave's Gel insert in the seat. Was surprised just how much smoother the RS was with the belt tensioner, wish I'd fitted one years ago. The gel insert also made a big difference, didn't once have to stand on the pegs and no discomfort in the nether regions today.

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds awesome

Well without the rain... my daughter was there last year and loved it so she is going again next week. Great pictures from her travels. Congrats on making it to the BBQ..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well Done!

Congratulations on taking up and completing that kind of challenge! I love long rydes!!! NZ is on my bucket list and to see from the saddle of a Spyder would make it just that much better!
    Glad you had such a great time!
    Bud~
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover