Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Want to sell my 2012 RT-S

Good Morning everyone,
    unfortunately I finally realized that I am never going to ride my 2012 Spyder RT-S with under 4000miles like it deserves to be ridden. So I am looking for some advice. When I look up the kbb value of a trade in it is around $11000 I paid around $23000 when it had 300 miles on it. So as a community what is the general consensus on the going rate for a hardly rode like new condition 2012. I know I won’t get close to what I originally paid and if I trade it in (on a truck) to dealership definitely will be hopeful to get the trade in price. Positive comments only please I’m just looking to get some friendly advice here.

Thanks
    Spyderfitter
    Last edited by Spyderfitter; 11-04-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We got $9500 for trade in on a 2012 RTL with 32,000 miles in January.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRIENDLY .... & ...HONEST ADVICE

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderfitter View Post
    Good Morning everyone,
    unfortunately I finally realized that I am never going to ride my 2012 Spyder RT-S with under 4000miles like it deserves to be ridden. So I am looking for some advice. When I look up the kbb value of a trade in it is around $11000 I paid around $23000 when it had 300 miles on it. So as a community what is the general consensus on the going rate for a hardly rode like new condition 2012. I know I won’t get close to what I originally paid and if I trade it in to dealership definitely will be hopeful to get the trade in price. Positive comments only please I’m just looking to get some friendly advice here.

Thanks
    Spyderfitter
    I'm confused ...if you aren't riding your Spyder to justify owning it !!! ...Then what are you getting with a DEALER TRADE in. ??? .... and someone I know traded Her 2012 RT-S in 2014 and only got $12,000 ...KBB & NADA are only SWAG as far as Value goes ..... good luck, but I think you will have to wait a long time @ $11,000, and imho you won't get it ............ A member here has a 2015 F-3s for sale for $10,900 recently and it wasn't jumped on by anyone ... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm confused ...if you aren't riding your Spyder to justify owning it !!! ...Then what are you getting with a DEALER TRADE in. ??? .... and someone I know traded Her 2012 RT-S in 2014 and only got $12,000 ...KBB & NADA are only SWAG as far as Value goes ..... good luck, but I think you will have to wait a long time @ $11,000, and imho you won't get it ............ A member here has a 2015 F-3s for sale for $10,900 recently and it wasn't jumped on by anyone ... Mike
    I am looking to trade at a truck dealership if they will even do it. Thanks for the response.

Spyder Garage

Highwayman is right on about trade in. Here, the "other" dealers don't even want to see a Spyder trade.

There is a bit of a gap between trade and private sale value. Your ballpark of $12K or so is on the money.

Dealer is going to sell my 2011 on consignment come spring. We will be happy with $11K to $12K. Time will tell.

Lots of ads with people asking for more than that. They are still for sale in most cases.

Motorcycles in general are a tough market right now. I bought a new 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD this spring. Dealer asking $9,300. I took it out the door with no trade for $7K.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Main objection get it sold

It is going to go down in price the longer you have it.
    The object is to get it sold as fast as possible and move on. Since you do not use it price it low to get people interested and when they make an a lower offer just say thanks for your interest and offer but I all ready priced it below valuve to give someone a good deal, so not going any lower.
    Sorry but I would either go $9,750. Weird numbers work best in sales.
    I believe the very top price is 10,500 so you can sell quick and feel like you only gave up 750. Instead of focussing on the 23 you paid.
    Great luck Kenn.
    Ps if someone asks why the low price is there something wrong. Tell them the truth. Bike is perfect just you need a truck so need a fast sale.

Spyder Garage

Default Ignore sunk costs

Easier said than done, but ignore your sunk cost ($23K) and base your decision upon the alternatives available to you in selling/trading your Spyder. For example:

Option 1 - Sell privately and put the money in the bank and earn X% interest.
    Option 2 - Sell privately and put the money into a truck for a net investment of Sales price less your Spyder proceeds. This results in $Y1 investment in a truck.
    Option 3 - Trade in the Spyder for the truck for a next investment of $Y2.
    Option 4 - Do nothing. You likely don't ride and the Spyder continues to go down in value.

Compare the proceeds and benefits to you from the above and make your decision.

Good luck!
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderfitter View Post
    Good Morning everyone,
    unfortunately I finally realized that I am never going to ride my 2012 Spyder RT-S with under 4000miles like it deserves to be ridden. So I am looking for some advice. When I look up the kbb value of a trade in it is around $11000 I paid around $23000 when it had 300 miles on it. So as a community what is the general consensus on the going rate for a hardly rode like new condition 2012. I know I won’t get close to what I originally paid and if I trade it in (on a truck) to dealership definitely will be hopeful to get the trade in price. Positive comments only please I’m just looking to get some friendly advice here.

Thanks
    Spyderfitter
    I picked up mine with around 900 miles on it 2 summers ago. its a 2012 blue RT semi auto. garage kept. not a scratch on it.. glad to say she has some scratches now due to use. No extras like luggage or any mods. It was in Staten Island, NY for 15k it was a decent deal I felt at time. Other dealers in area were selling beat up looking ones for 13-14k some were manual. craigslist in area had one that started at 16k but dropped to 13k after sitting on market plus it had some wear and tear and was not my favorite color...and the guy was very difficult to deal with.

Spyder Garage

I believe that $12,000 is probably the right price. However I'm not looking to buy a 2012.
    I just traded my 2012 RTS in on my new 2018 and they gave me 9500.
    They told me they would give me more if they didn't have to pick it up and ship it across the country

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I have been looking a several used RT, RT-s. and RT-Limited models. Mostly in the Southeast USA. Looking at 2012 up to 2017 left over models.

I think now your 2012 is probably worth 11-12k in a private sale. Less, of course, for a trade in. That is based on my area.

Bring it to me

Good luck,
    Glenn