Spyder Garage

Default A Question for Pillion Passengers

Which is the most comfortable ride from a pillion's perspective, the RT Ltd or the F3 Ltd?

Also, which of these two spyders (in std seat trim) has the most pillion passenger room, the RT Ltd or the F3 Ltd?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Mrs Aawen here, no 2 ways about it - the RT Ltd pillion seat has more room than the F3 Ltd pillion seat!!

As to whether you can make yourself as comfortable in it as I am in the pillion seat of our RT Ltd, that's a whole 'nuther question! But for my 2 bob, the RT Ltd is quids ahead of the F3 Ltd when it comes to pillion passenger comfort on the standard seats!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can tell you when we both rode the RT I had some time as a passenger and the RT is very very very comfortable! Think nap Time!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Owning an RT and having test drove an F3 Limited with my wife, she says the RT wins hands down. Felt the F3 LImited's backrest was too low on her back.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

NavyMom here. We rode both models extensively before buying our RT. I have been making the pillion seats on our bikes beautiful for 40 years and for me the RT wins hands down. I am 5'2" with a short inseam so I have the boards adjusted high and a nice sheepskin cover on my seat. We have traveled several 500+ mile days and I was very comfy. We do stop around 100 miles for a stretch break which helps a great deal. We have always had sport touring style bikes so for me the RT is a huge leap forward in pillion comfort.
    Last edited by Navydad; 11-03-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

F3 does not seem to get many kudos for riding with a passenger aboard.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default RT back seat wins hands down

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    F3 does not seem to get many kudos for riding with a passenger aboard.
    I am on my 3 rd RT. Before I got the last one, a '16 Special edition, My wife and I tried out an F3 limited. No way for her on the F3. Period. If I was riding solo I may be ok with the F3 but it is just not a long distance 2 up machine. When I scooted back to the pillion seat I understood why she couldn't stand it. The RT is the best long distance 2 up machine. I love the looks and design of the F3 but that is as far as it goes for me.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Mrs Aawen here, no 2 ways about it - the RT Ltd pillion seat has more room than the F3 Ltd pillion seat!!

As to whether you can make yourself as comfortable in it as I am in the pillion seat of our RT Ltd, that's a whole 'nuther question! But for my 2 bob, the RT Ltd is quids ahead of the F3 Ltd when it comes to pillion passenger comfort on the standard seats!
    Thanks Sylvia

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Passenger

I am the other half of Abq Spyder so I am always the passenger. I am going to give you a totally different perspective and different opinion. We had an RT for 2.5 years and put about 22,000 miles on it, including long-distance rides (Albuquerque to San Diego). Now we have an F3 with 27,000 miles on it, including long-distance rides. I will ride on the back of the F3 more comfortably any day versus the RT. As for space, yes the RT has more "space". I was often uncomfortable as I am a petite 5'1" and actually had too much space. I often felt it was a detriment in that I "moved around" too easily or could "come off" the seat too easily. I love the back of the F3. I fit as I did on the rear of our R1100RT BMW. We rode, by the way, south of Tucson to St. George, Utah; and I was every bit as good as I was on the back of the RT in terms of comfort. I do have a gel pad under me. I totally disagree and it is unfair to say the F3 is a one rider bike. As a couple we are proof, and we would buy another F3 if we decided to change bikes. So ultimately it depends upon your goal and the experience you desire. More space? RT. Ride and feeling of a bike BUT still long-distance comfort? F3 with a back rest added.

Spyder Garage

All opinions are good. No two of us are built alike. What works for one--does not necessarily work for another. I too, like the looks of the F3--its the ergo's that don't work for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Owning an RT and having test drove an F3 Limited with my wife, she says the RT wins hands down. Felt the F3 LImited's backrest was too low on her back.
    Thanks for your comments. Re the F3 Ltd's backrest being too low, I should have qualified by initial post by saying that the F3 Ltd would have a topbox which incorporates the pillion's backrest.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

Apples and oranges...as the question applies to the driver as well. Know several ryders that have both but use the F3 for the short runs zipping around and when it comes to the road trip hop on the RT. Bagging the F3 is like intoducing the ST. You end up with a mid range ryde. If you start out on the F3 ltd and or came from the RS type your passenger will be happy but if been on both and given a choice...well here's your answer. Your passenger does not do the driving....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default evening up the balance ..... slightly

Always a 'challenging' question, and never dull or uninteresting reading the responses. Usually the divide is fairly passionate; somewhat resembling politics. I'll have to chime in similarly to Mrs. ABQSpyder, although I am the male driver, and am responding with my missus' perspective. We test rode both the RTL and F3L, 2017 models. Before starting out, I was fairly sure we would probably take home the RTL. However, we wound up buying the F3L. I just could not get comfortable in the RT seat; still can't - the RT ergos bother my hips. The F3 ergos work for me. My wife completely surprised me when she, too, voted for the F3L. She liked the "smaller" size and feel. She liked that she seemed to sit a bit more above me and look over my head, rather than around my ears. She found/still finds the stock pillion seat very comfortable. I do not like the BRP stock driver seat, and have just bought a new Ultimate, which will replace both seats; I hope she'll be as happy. It is important to state that we ride two-up 95% of the time, and usually do day trips of anywhere from 2 to 6 hours, usually with a couple of rest stops or a lunch break. Using an Airhawk pad until now, I have been able to go 3 hours at a stretch; before the pad, 90 minutes was tops for me, but my wife never had an issue with her rear seat. I sometimes feel the new F3L gets a bit of a bad rap from some owners of RT's who really are thinking more of older F3 models. You really need to consider that the 2017 F3L has automatically adjusted rear suspension that wasn't present before. But, most of all, you really need to find the answer to your question by doing your own test ride comparisons. Go out on both models, together; ride for as long as you can on the same roads, then compare notes. Make a choice based on the feeling in your own butts, not in the experiences of others. Just be aware that opinions on the merits are divided. I am only speaking up here to redress the balance slightly on behalf of the F3 lovers. I respect those who favour the RT. Both opinions are valid; the truly right one is what you decide for yourself after an honest, comparative assessment. Go ride; let your butts give you the best answer.
    Last edited by bushrat; 11-16-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Always a 'challenging' question, and never dull or uninteresting reading the responses. Usually the divide is fairly passionate; somewhat resembling politics. I'll have to chime in similarly to Mrs. ABQSpyder, although I am the male driver, and am responding with my missus' perspective. We test rode both the RTL and F3L, 2017 models. Before starting out, I was fairly sure we would probably take home the RTL. However, we wound up buying the F3L. I just could not get comfortable in the RT seat; still can't - the RT ergos bother my hips. The F3 ergos work for me. My wife completely surprised me when she, too, voted for the F3L. She liked the "smaller" size and feel. She liked that she seemed to sit a bit more above me and look over my head, rather than around my ears. She found/still finds the stock pillion seat very comfortable. I do not like the BRP stock driver seat, and have just bought a new Ultimate, which will replace both seats; I hope she'll be as happy. It is important to state that we ride two-up 95% of the time, and usually do day trips of anywhere from 2 to 6 hours, usually with a couple of rest stops or a lunch break. Using an Airhawk pad until now, I have been able to go 3 hours at a stretch; before the pad, 90 minutes was tops for me, but my wife never had an issue with her rear seat. I sometimes feel the new F3L gets a bit of a bad rap from some owners of RT's who really are thinking more of older F3 models. You really need to consider that the 2017 F3L has automatically adjusted rear suspension that wasn't present before. But, most of all, you really need to find the answer to your question by doing your own test ride comparisons. Go out on both models, together; ride for as long as you can on the same roads, then compare notes. Make a choice based on the feeling in your own butts, not in the experiences of others. Just be aware that opinions on the merits are divided. I am only speaking up here to redress the balance slightly on behalf of the F3 lovers. I respect those who favour the RT. Both opinions are valid; the truly right one is what you decide for yourself after an honest, comparative assessment. Go ride; let your butts give you the best answer.
    Thanks bushrat, good advice.