Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default After-market speakers on Spyder sound system

Originally Posted by robhowen
    Blueknight911, what speakers did you get to replace the factory speakers? Front and rear? Any modifications required?

Rob[/ ....JBL's FRONT & REAR IN 5.25" size ..... they are 2 ohm & that makes them sound better than 4 ohm .... you would need to En-large the rear cut-out to 4 5/8th in ..... and change the mounting holes to suit ... others here have done this & loved them ..... I used GTO 528's & GTO 508c models which can only be found now on E-bay or Amazon because they were up-graded by new models ( that aren't 2 ohm ) .... look at " Beadaholics " Mod page , She posted pics & a video on this swap .... Mike

Just be aware that with the lower resistance the current draw on the amp is higher.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CURRANT DRAW ???

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Originally Posted by robhowen
    Blueknight911, what speakers did you get to replace the factory speakers? Front and rear? Any modifications required?

Rob[/ ....JBL's FRONT & REAR IN 5.25" size ..... they are 2 ohm & that makes them sound better than 4 ohm .... you would need to En-large the rear cut-out to 4 5/8th in ..... and change the mounting holes to suit ... others here have done this & loved them ..... I used GTO 528's & GTO 508c models which can only be found now on E-bay or Amazon because they were up-graded by new models ( that aren't 2 ohm ) .... look at " Beadaholics " Mod page , She posted pics & a video on this swap .... Mike

Just be aware that with the lower resistance the current draw on the amp is higher.
    Is this a FACT or just a GUESS ??? ............ I have run these speakers for over 3 years now, some of which was @ 80% volume .... They still work great ..... JBL has been selling 2 ohm speakers for DECADES .... I haven't heard of Stereo failures due to this, but I'm open to Genuine info .......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Is this a FACT or just a GUESS ??? ............ I have run these speakers for over 3 years now, some of which was @ 80% volume .... They still work great ..... JBL has been selling 2 ohm speakers for DECADES .... I haven't heard of Stereo failures due to this, but I'm open to Genuine info .......... Mike
    Stereophiles may remember when the standard system speaker was 8 ohms, and power amps were designed for that impedance. Then, someone (AR? KLH?) came out with 4 ohm speakers (probably for the same reason you mentioned - cleaner sound) and the better amps had outputs for both 4 ohm and 8 ohm. That was in the days of tubes and transistors. People who hooked up 4 ohm speakers to 8 ohm amps sometimes had a problem with overheating and / or burnt output transistors because they couldn't handle the higher current. I honestly haven't heard of any problems in modern systems with impedance mismatches, perhaps because they have better circuitry to accommodate a varying current nowadays.

So, most likely it's not a problem for the system to handle different impedance speakers, but if someone does experience a problem that would be a likely cause.

Unfortunately BRP doesn't publish specs on their head units (at least I haven't been able to find any), so I can't tell for sure. My electronics knowledge comes from 10 years as a Navy electronics tech and 20 years playing around with computers, so I'm probably not the best source for info on current tech.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Stereophiles may remember when the standard system speaker was 8 ohms, and power amps were designed for that impedance. Then, someone (AR? KLH?) came out with 4 ohm speakers (probably for the same reason you mentioned - cleaner sound) and the better amps had outputs for both 4 ohm and 8 ohm. That was in the days of tubes and transistors. People who hooked up 4 ohm speakers to 8 ohm amps sometimes had a problem with overheating and / or burnt output transistors because they couldn't handle the higher current. I honestly haven't heard of any problems in modern systems with impedance mismatches, perhaps because they have better circuitry to accommodate a varying current nowadays.

So, most likely it's not a problem for the system to handle different impedance speakers, but if someone does experience a problem that would be a likely cause.

Unfortunately BRP doesn't publish specs on their head units (at least I haven't been able to find any), so I can't tell for sure. My electronics knowledge comes from 10 years as a Navy electronics tech and 20 years playing around with computers, so I'm probably not the best source for info on current tech.
    Great explanation. When I was into stereos, matching speaker impedance with the stereo was a function of sound quality more that potential damage to equipment.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White