Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie to forum...looking at a 2013 Can-AmŪ SpyderŪ ST Limited SE5...questions

Hi...name is Raprider (Rap or Rich will do)...I'm in NJ...riding 25 years or so, currently riding a 96 Virago 750 but lately have concluded I'm not getting appreciably taller (5-1), younger (53), or stronger (only better looking!), so I have been considering the Spyder for some time now.
    Most riding is 75-100 mile mostly country road days with dearest spouse on pillion.
    Would like to be able to do longer days/trips (with necessary highway jaunts) that just aren't comfortable on the v-twin.

I've demo'd both RT and ST and leaning toward the ST, mainly for the fact that I feel like I'm "inside" on the RT...leaning gently used not new, and thinking to pull the trig before the winter sets in, considering prices may be softer now than in spring.
    I seem to have found a 2013 ST Limited with about 7,500 miles on it, located at a dealer about 200 miles away, and wanted to run a few questions past you guys before contacting the dealer.

Maintenance - will the dealer be able to determine via VIN if the STL has had the necessary service/maintenance even if they did not do the service themselves, or do I need the VIN and to contact a local CanAm dealer?
    Having read thru several pages here, I'm thinking I need to know about:
    • 600 mile and 4600 mile oil changes
    • heat dissipation shields...can i tell just from pics?
    • brake reservoir heat shield
    • tire/brake status
    • brake code install (I read one thread here about this for someone "riding the brake")
    • is any kind of warranty available? probably not...maybe just a 7-day or 30-day???

Other questions I would have, based on the photos I am looking at:
    • this ST currently has an Ultimate seat w/driver and rider backrests...are these adjustable for depth and/or removable (particularly driver) if I don't like it?
    • how can I tell which Ultimate seat it is (short, reduced or mid)?
    • this ST currently had driver footpegs, not footboards...I thought boards were standard?
    • front fender lighting appears to be mod'd...almost look like spot lights and the 'over top" strip and lighting is different than others I have seen...aftermarket???
    • Heated Grips...in photos, I only see Parking brake switch and then blanks...and it looks like the far right blank was replaced with a Batt Tender USB connection...shouldn't one of these be a switch for heated grips???
    • Cruise control? Looks to have a throttle-rocker installed over the foam grips...though one pic of the dash panel lcd shows "CRUISE OFF" in the lower left corner

Okay...that's enough for this post!
    As you can see, I'm trying to figure out what I need to consider before considering a 200-mile trip!

Thanks for listening and looking forward to all your valuable input.
    Rap
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER MODEL

Something to consider .... BRP - No longer makes the V-twin engine for production models only for PARTS .... They realized the 1330 engine was the Future .......... and I've had both engines starting in 09 .... BRP made the right decision .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the ST is a great starting Spyder. If you can get a super super deal then go for it. What is the Dealer asking for it?

• 600 mile and 4600 mile oil changes - Yes the 998 engine requires more frequent expensive maintenance
    • heat dissipation shields...can i tell just from pics? Yes you can tell by looking at it. You can post a picture here and we can tell you.
    • brake reservoir heat shield - don't know about this one
    • tire/brake status - Not sure what your asking here
    • brake code install (I read one thread here about this for someone "riding the brake") - don't know about this one
    • is any kind of warranty available? probably not...maybe just a 7-day or 30-day??? You will not have standard BRP warranty and if it had Best Warranty it will be out. There may be other after market warranties available.

• this ST currently has an Ultimate seat w/driver and rider backrests...are these adjustable for depth and/or removable (particularly driver) if I don't like it? Yes there are many options here. Backrest are removable and there are other aftermarket seats available.
    • how can I tell which Ultimate seat it is (short, reduced or mid)? Unless you get measurements from Ultimate this might be a little hard.
    • this ST currently had driver footpegs, not footboards...I thought boards were standard? No boards are not standard unless you get a "limited version of the Spyder, not sure if the ST was ever offered as a limited.
    • front fender lighting appears to be mod'd...almost look like spot lights and the 'over top" strip and lighting is different than others I have seen...aftermarket??? Yes aftermarket
    • Heated Grips...in photos, I only see Parking brake switch and then blanks...and it looks like the far right blank was replaced with a Batt Tender USB connection...shouldn't one of these be a switch for heated grips??? Heated grips are not standard and they may have used the wiring for something else.
    • Cruise control? Looks to have a throttle-rocker installed over the foam grips...though one pic of the dash panel lcd shows "CRUISE OFF" in the lower left corner. I would be surprised if the ST did not have cruise control, throttle - rocker is proably just for comfort. I have one on my F3.

Many of these questions should be answered by the dealer. The heat shields are replaceable under warranty, this should be done before you pick it up. I have ridden all the models of the Spyder including the ST. Its a great little Spyder and if you can get it at a smoking price then go for it. Remember it has no warranty, it has the smaller engine, it sounds like you have not seen the bike or know how well it was maintained. Is the Dealer a spyder dealer? I have seen spyders at non spyder dealerships and they could not even figure out how to pop the frunk. Not saying not to buy but these are all negotiating points to make. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Default Caution

From the description, this almost certainly is not a Limited. The STL should have footboards, heated grips, cruise control, rear side cases, chrome front wheels, and stereo system. Also, in addition to the heat issue, there was a suspension change between 13 and 14. The 14 has Fox shocks with adjustable preload. It is also worth keeping in mind that shop work on any model is very expensive, so I would strongly consider looking for something that is within the two year factory warranty period that would allow you to purchase an additional three years of BEST warranty. Keep in mind that the clock on the factory 24 months starts when the machine is put in service. I picked up a 2014 STL that hadn't been put in service until late in 2015, so my original 24 months just recently ran out. Before it expired, I purchased three additional years of the BEST warranty. I just had a bad clutch solenoid replaced under the extened warranty which likely paid for all three years. Prior to that I had a front shock, a piece of broken body work, and a different clutch solenoid all replaced under warranty. without the warranty, that was thousands of dollars of potential shop expense that cost me nothing. It's very likely that you could find a 2015 and possibly a 14 that would still be within the 24 month original warranty and allow you to purchase the extended three years. While the 13 may seem cheaper, it could save money in the long run to buy something newer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I think the ST is a great starting Spyder. If you can get a super super deal then go for it. What is the Dealer asking for it?
    Dealer is asking $12,997...but I wouldn't offer that...probably would try to start around 10.5

• 600 mile and 4600 mile oil changes - Yes the 998 engine requires more frequent expensive maintenance
    • heat dissipation shields...can i tell just from pics? Yes you can tell by looking at it. You can post a picture here and we can tell you.
    • brake reservoir heat shield - don't know about this one
    • tire/brake status - Not sure what your asking here I meant to ask...what's the "typical" mileage before replacement rubber...I know, YMMV...
    • brake code install (I read one thread here about this for someone "riding the brake") - don't know about this one
    • is any kind of warranty available? probably not...maybe just a 7-day or 30-day??? You will not have standard BRP warranty and if it had Best Warranty it will be out. There may be other after market warranties available.

• this ST currently has an Ultimate seat w/driver and rider backrests...are these adjustable for depth and/or removable (particularly driver) if I don't like it? Yes there are many options here. Backrest are removable and there are other aftermarket seats available.
    • how can I tell which Ultimate seat it is (short, reduced or mid)? Unless you get measurements from Ultimate this might be a little hard.
    • this ST currently had driver footpegs, not footboards...I thought boards were standard? No boards are not standard unless you get a "limited version of the Spyder, not sure if the ST was ever offered as a limited...yes, and this is "supposed" to be a Limited...
    • front fender lighting appears to be mod'd...almost look like spot lights and the 'over top" strip and lighting is different than others I have seen...aftermarket??? Yes aftermarket
    • Heated Grips...in photos, I only see Parking brake switch and then blanks...and it looks like the far right blank was replaced with a Batt Tender USB connection...shouldn't one of these be a switch for heated grips??? Heated grips are not standard and they may have used the wiring for something else...also, supposed to be standard on Limited...
    • Cruise control? Looks to have a throttle-rocker installed over the foam grips...though one pic of the dash panel lcd shows "CRUISE OFF" in the lower left corner. I would be surprised if the ST did not have cruise control, throttle - rocker is proably just for comfort. I have one on my F3...also, supposed to be standard on Limited...

Many of these questions should be answered by the dealer. The heat shields are replaceable under warranty, this should be done before you pick it up. I have ridden all the models of the Spyder including the ST. Its a great little Spyder and if you can get it at a smoking price then go for it. Remember it has no warranty, it has the smaller engine, it sounds like you have not seen the bike or know how well it was maintained. Is the Dealer a spyder dealer? I have seen spyders at non spyder dealerships and they could not even figure out how to pop the frunk. Not saying not to buy but these are all negotiating points to make. Good luck
    Thanks, Tazzel! I inserted some comments above...and no, I haven't seen the bike other than on CycleTrader...from MotoMember down in Leesburg VA...was mainly trying to get arms around things to consider/ask before contacting dealer.

Rap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edmarble View Post
    From the description, this almost certainly is not a Limited. The STL should have footboards, heated grips, cruise control, rear side cases, chrome front wheels, and stereo system. Also, in addition to the heat issue, there was a suspension change between 13 and 14. The 14 has Fox shocks with adjustable preload. It is also worth keeping in mind that shop work on any model is very expensive, so I would strongly consider looking for something that is within the two year factory warranty period that would allow you to purchase an additional three years of BEST warranty. Keep in mind that the clock on the factory 24 months starts when the machine is put in service. I picked up a 2014 STL that hadn't been put in service until late in 2015, so my original 24 months just recently ran out. Before it expired, I purchased three additional years of the BEST warranty. I just had a bad clutch solenoid replaced under the extened warranty which likely paid for all three years. Prior to that I had a front shock, a piece of broken body work, and a different clutch solenoid all replaced under warranty. without the warranty, that was thousands of dollars of potential shop expense that cost me nothing. It's very likely that you could find a 2015 and possibly a 14 that would still be within the 24 month original warranty and allow you to purchase the extended three years. While the 13 may seem cheaper, it could save money in the long run to buy something newer.
    Thanks, edmarble! I agree...The STL should have footboards, heated grips, cruise control, rear side cases, chrome front wheels, and stereo system...that's why I was questioning a couple "missing" items Thanks for the info on the suspension change and warranty tips.

Rap

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Hi...name is Raprider (Rap or Rich will do)...I'm in NJ...riding 25 years or so, currently riding a 96 Virago 750 but lately have concluded I'm not getting appreciably taller (5-1), younger (53), or stronger (only better looking!), so I have been considering the Spyder for some time now. Most riding is 75-100 mile mostly country road days with dearest spouse on pillion. Would like to be able to do longer days/trips (with necessary highway jaunts) that just aren't comfortable on the v-twin. I've demo'd both RT and ST and leaning toward the ST, mainly for the fact that I feel like I'm "inside" on the RT...leaning gently used not new, and thinking to pull the trig before the winter sets in, considering prices may be softer now than in spring. I seem to have found a 2013 ST Limited with about 7,500 miles on it, located at a dealer about 200 miles away, and wanted to run a few questions past you guys before contacting the dealer. Maintenance - will the dealer be able to determine via VIN if the STL has had the necessary service/maintenance even if they did not do the service themselves, or do I need the VIN and to contact a local CanAm dealer?
    Having read thru several pages here, I'm thinking I need to know about:
    • 600 mile and 4600 mile oil changes
    • heat dissipation shields...can i tell just from pics?
    • brake reservoir heat shield
    • tire/brake status
    • brake code install (I read one thread here about this for someone "riding the brake")
    • is any kind of warranty available? probably not...maybe just a 7-day or 30-day???

• this ST currently has an Ultimate seat w/driver and rider backrests...are these adjustable for depth and/or removable (particularly driver) if I don't like it?
    • how can I tell which Ultimate seat it is (short, reduced or mid)?
    • this ST currently had driver footpegs, not footboards...I thought boards were standard?
    • front fender lighting appears to be mod'd...almost look like spot lights and the 'over top" strip and lighting is different than others I have seen...aftermarket???
    • Heated Grips...in photos, I only see Parking brake switch and then blanks...and it looks like the far right blank was replaced with a Batt Tender USB connection...shouldn't one of these be a switch for heated grips???
    • Cruise control? Looks to have a throttle-rocker installed over the foam grips...though one pic of the dash panel lcd shows "CRUISE OFF" in the lower left corner

Okay...that's enough for this post! As you can see, I'm trying to figure out what I need to consider before considering a 200-mile trip! Thanks for listening and looking forward to all your valuable input. Rap

I have a 2014 ST Limited (purchased new in 2015) and will answer only these particular questions:

• 600 mile and 4600 mile oil changes ..... With 7500 miles now on the bike, you'll just need to follow the Operator's Manual ... 4600 mile changes
    • is any kind of warranty available? probably not; maybe just a 7-day or 30-day??? .... Highly unlikely, but see what others here have to say
    • this ST currently has an Ultimate seat w/driver and rider backrests; are these adjustable for depth and/or removable (particularly driver) if I don't like it? ... Ultimate seats are among the BEST out there. The backrest is adjustable fore/aft.
    • this ST currently had driver footpegs, not footboards; I thought boards were standard? .... OEM floorboards were standard in 2014, assumedly also in 2013. Foot pegs are OK, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing, like floorboards.
    • Heated Grips...in photos, I only see Parking brake switch and then blanks; and it looks like the far right blank was replaced with a Batt Tender USB connection...shouldn't one of these be a switch for heated grips??? ..... Yes, the second from left is the heated grip switch. Hi and Lo as well as Off.
    • Cruise control? Looks to have a throttle-rocker installed over the foam grips...though one pic of the dash panel lcd shows "CRUISE OFF" in the lower left corner ..... Do you have any photos to share? There should be a cruise control, not a throttle "locker".

Check the VIN number and have a BRP dealer advise whether it really is an ST or not.
    2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't help you find an ST, so I'll just say. . .
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

RE: 600 and 4500 mile oil changes. The six hundred applied to break-in service. Long gone here. 4500 mile intervals are for continued oil change/filter services. You will hear or read about the 14,000 mile valve check service. Add $800 or so. Not needed or done by many. Not required on the 1330's.

Advice about 1330's is right on. The model you are looking at is discontinued. Unless your price reflects that, I would look for a 1330 engine machine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome Rich! While my RT-S is my first Spyder and first bike after a long layoff to raise my kids, I think you'd be crazier than hen s**t not to test ride an F3. If you are not specifically planning on long touring rides, a pillion partner for 50-100 milers on an F3 will give you all the benefits of a great, reliable three cylinder engine with six speed trans, reduced maintenance and plenty of fun factor if you want to wring out the fun handle. Don't waste your shekels on good but OLD technology. JMO. Good luck and be safe!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don’t believe that floorboards cane out until 14. Here is the parts page I can’t see the exploded view too well on my phone but pretty sure it shows pegs. shttps://cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts...-accessories-g
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Their website doesn't appear to have been updated anytime recently. See that Cognac 2014 ST-S listed? That's the one I bought back in March, same stock number. That 2013 may not be there anymore.
    Besides, as others have said, it is missing some things on a Limited.

Besides, the rear decal only says 'Spyder ST'.

If it isn't raining tomorrow, I may swing by and see if it is even on their lot.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I don’t believe that floorboards cane out until 14. Here is the parts page I can’t see the exploded view too well on my phone but pretty sure it shows pegs. shttps://cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts...-accessories-g
    Umm. Sry Ann but yes they are on my 13 & make a difference in riding the longer trips, I can adjust quite a bit & usually prop my heals on the passenger boards.
    Got my '13 in May of '14 for a good deal.
    Hope you can do the same & proceed with the farkles
    I'm close to 40k miles now 12states visited, & more to come. Still on non updated panels,
    See farkles listed in signature below, but as mentioned above the STL should have:
    saddlebags,
    Ggarmin 660 GPS, with a travel pouch & a weather boot cover
    electric parking brake,(far left switch)
    heated grips(2ndswitch)
    the far right switch slot is pre wired for a future fog light, battery tender should be wired in frunk on the jumper post,more out of way & protected
    Floorboards, driver & passenger,
    windshield (manual adjust)
    cruise control (is switch on Rh grip)
    radio (Am,Fm,Weather, cords for IPod & Aux)
    tool kit (special tool for removing bag brackets)
    frunk liner, 12VDC port in frunk,
    chrome 12spoke rims
    most of the small stuff will be in a small white box with the owners manual & the spare key (Don't loose it)
    the GPS does not have to be lifetime maps,
    (double check the serial number will have LM if so)
    but should have a car dock kit included & the necessary software.
    Saddlebag keys taped on inside of each bag.
    Yes the 998 will eat some oil (keep a qt handy) the dealer will not be able to look up any DIY service work, but very well should be able to give it a check up & clean bill of health.

Hope to see you at Spyderfest!
    Last edited by Bfromla; 11-01-2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: stuff

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Don't know anything about the ST, but I'm also in Jersey - welcome!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Thanks, SpyderAnn01...actually shows both boards and pegs...assume to reflect interchangeability...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Something to consider .... BRP - No longer makes the V-twin engine for production models only for PARTS .... They realized the 1330 engine was the Future .......... and I've had both engines starting in 09 .... BRP made the right decision .... Mike

Appreciate the feedback, Mike, but...what does one say when BRP bumps to a 1400? Sell YOUR out-of-date ? Isn't that what HOG folks say?
    Not trying to be combative, but not seeing the point of your comment...are there specific issues with the v-twin/998 that you can elaborate on, or is this just a bigger-is better point of view?

Rap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

RE: 600 and 4500 mile oil changes. The six hundred applied to break-in service. Long gone here. 4500 mile intervals are for continued oil change/filter services. You will hear or read about the 14,000 mile valve check service. Add $800 or so. Not needed or done by many. Not required on the 1330's.

Advice about 1330's is right on. The model you are looking at is discontinued. Unless your price reflects that, I would look for a 1330 engine machine.

Thanks, Akspyderman...that's pricey for the valve check service...is that EVERY 14,000 miles? And what determines if it is "not needed or done"?
    As far as advice on 1330's, I'm not sure a model's being discontinued truly qualifies, IMHO. Is/are/were there specific issues with the 998 you can reference or point me to that were eliminated by the 1330?? And if yes, why do you still have your 2011 RT? Wasn't that the same v-twin engine?

Rap

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Akspyderman...that's pricey for the valve check service...is that EVERY 14,000 miles? And what determines if it is "not needed or done"?
    As far as advice on 1330's, I'm not sure a model's being discontinued truly qualifies, IMHO. Is/are/were there specific issues with the 998 you can reference or point me to that were eliminated by the 1330?? And if yes, why do you still have your 2011 RT? Wasn't that the same v-twin engine?

Rap
    Okay, you asked.

: Valve checks--yes--recommended at every 14K miles. I have been one of the site beta testers. I faithfully did the checks at 14K on my 2008 and 28K on my 2010. In both cases, neither machine required any adjustments. The dealer got $800 extra both times. I am going to let the 2011 go to at least 50K since I am now at 28K with no issues. IMO--if its not broke--don't fix it. Talk is that BRP did this early on to CYA in case of issues--which have not come up. It's going to be your call to valve check or not. It's in the service manual--but I have not heard of any issues with valves--or BRP claiming that someone has voided the warranty over it. My warranties are expired--so it's a moot point for me.

The 998 is a GOOD machine. The complaints I mentioned are pretty much it. Lower mileage (about 29-31) and much more expensive service requirements. I have had four and put over 100K on them collectively. No major issues for me. That is why I am still driving one of them. Price for a 998 should still reflect the fact that the unit is discontinued.

Me--I just like the 1330 a bit better. An extra gear, more torque, a bit quieter, less maintenance (3000 break in service, oil changes/filters 9,500 OR once a year), and about 10 mpg better. Most get 39- 41--and all the current 's are now powered by the 1330.

I am also at 28K on the 1330. As originally mentioned, I like the 1330 a bit better, and for the reasons above and in the other post. It's a hard choice. And--I have had no mechanical issues with the 1330 either.

Hope this information helps.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-01-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I can't help you find an ST, so I'll just say. . .
    Thanks, PrairieSpyder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Their website doesn't appear to have been updated anytime recently. See that Cognac 2014 ST-S listed? That's the one I bought back in March, same stock number. That 2013 may not be there anymore.
    Besides, as others have said, it is missing some things on a Limited.

Besides, the rear decal only says 'Spyder ST'.

If it isn't raining tomorrow, I may swing by and see if it is even on their lot.
    Thanks, ARNIE R! I did notice the decal and was trying to see a better view...I will be giving them a call this evening to talk...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Okay, you asked.

: Valve checks--yes--recommended at every 14K miles. I have been one of the site beta testers. I faithfully did the checks at 14K on my 2008 and 28K on my 2010. In both cases, neither machine required any adjustments. The dealer got $800 extra both times. I am going to let the 2011 go to at least 50K since I am now at 28K with no issues. IMO--if its not broke--don't fix it. Talk is that BRP did this early on to CYA in case of issues--which have not come up. It's going to be your call to valve check or not. It's in the service manual--but I have not heard of any issues with valves--or BRP claiming that someone has voided the warranty over it. My warranties are expired--so it's a moot point for me.

The 998 is a GOOD machine. The complaints I mentioned are pretty much it. Lower mileage (about 29-31) and much more expensive service requirements. I have had four and put over 100K on them collectively. No major issues for me. That is why I am still driving one of them. Price for a 998 should still reflect the fact that the unit is discontinued.

Me--I just like the 1330 a bit better. An extra gear, more torque, a bit quieter, less maintenance (3000 break in service, oil changes/filters 9,500 OR once a year), and about 10 mpg better. Most get 39- 41--and all the current 's are now powered by the 1330.

I am also at 28K on the 1330. As originally mentioned, I like the 1330 a bit better, and for the reasons above and in the other post. It's a hard choice. And--I have had no mechanical issues with the 1330 either.

Hope this information helps.
    VERY helpful additional info, akspyderman Thanks for this!
    I'd probably anticipate first $800 investment as a gimme and consider on future...
    As far as my current experience, I'm only tracking about 2000 miles per year...though hoping a new ride would lead to LOTS more.

I am a very short guy and just felt even smaller, almost "inside" the RT...and just don't like the look of the F3 (to each his/her own)...so my choices are limited.
    As far as I've seen, many of the ST-S and ST-L SE5's that I have seen are in the $10k-14k ballpark, with variations for specific models, miles and farkles and such...and this seems to be reasonably inline with KBB and NADA.

Rap

Spyder Garage

VERY helpful additional info, akspyderman Thanks for this!
    I'd probably anticipate first $800 investment as a gimme and consider on future...
    As far as my current experience, I'm only tracking about 2000 miles per year...though hoping a new ride would lead to LOTS more.

I am a very short guy and just felt even smaller, almost "inside" the RT...and just don't like the look of the F3 (to each his/her own)...so my choices are limited.
    As far as I've seen, many of the ST-S and ST-L SE5's that I have seen are in the $10k-14k ballpark, with variations for specific models, miles and farkles and such...and this seems to be reasonably inline with KBB and NADA.

Rap
    I am also a bit short. 5'5". Do your due diligence and pick a deal that you are most comfortable with. I do recommend having a dealer go over and run the VIN for servicing information. I used to post a "what to look for list" on purchases--but don't any more. It can be searched and is still in the archives if interested.

One item: Farkles: they are worth 50% to nothing. They make the original owners bike--theirs. You might not like them. Many make the mistake of trying to get their money back on farkles--the ads get 500 to 1000 looks and no takers--and they wonder why its not selling.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks, ARNIE R! I did notice the decal and was trying to see a better view...I will be giving them a call this evening to talk...
    I did swing by this morning. No ST’s of any kind. When I did my shopping back in March, they had just recently acquired new unsold units still in crates from defunct dealers. They went fast. Everything today was all within the last years only, new or used. But, doesn’t hurt to call just because you never know.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Umm. Sry Ann but yes they are on my 13 & make a difference in riding the longer trips, I can adjust quite a bit & usually prop my heals on the passenger boards.
    Got my '13 in May of '14 for a good deal.
    Hope you can do the same & proceed with the farkles
    I'm close to 40k miles now 12states visited, & more to come. Still on non updated panels,
    See farkles listed in signature below, but as mentioned above the STL should have:
    saddlebags,
    Ggarmin 660 GPS, with a travel pouch & a weather boot cover
    electric parking brake,(far left switch)
    heated grips(2ndswitch)
    the far right switch slot is pre wired for a future fog light, battery tender should be wired in frunk on the jumper post,more out of way & protected
    Floorboards, driver & passenger,
    windshield (manual adjust)
    cruise control (is switch on Rh grip)
    radio (Am,Fm,Weather, cords for IPod & Aux)
    tool kit (special tool for removing bag brackets)
    frunk liner, 12VDC port in frunk,
    chrome 12spoke rims
    most of the small stuff will be in a small white box with the owners manual & the spare key (Don't loose it)
    the GPS does not have to be lifetime maps,
    (double check the serial number will have LM if so)
    but should have a car dock kit included & the necessary software.
    Saddlebag keys taped on inside of each bag.
    Yes the 998 will eat some oil (keep a qt handy) the dealer will not be able to look up any DIY service work, but very well should be able to give it a check up & clean bill of health.

Hope to see you at Spyderfest!

Thanks for ALL these deets, Bfromla!!! Very helpful.

Rap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    I did swing by this morning. No ST’s of any kind. When I did my shopping back in March, they had just recently acquired new unsold units still in crates from defunct dealers. They went fast. Everything today was all within the last years only, new or used. But, doesn’t hurt to call just because you never know.
    Thanks for checking, ARNIE!
    I am sending you a PM...