Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    OK....... but it mentions where on the dash the lights are and which come on during initial startup. The other multiple oil threads and DIY section videos here address every aspect of oil change/adding, etc.

Really, IMHO the best way to become a new Spyder owner is to read the manual front to back(repeat often), use this site's resources to learn as much about your bike as possible as there's likely no basic issue that hasn't been addressed already, then perhaps focus on farkles. The time spent here reading and learning has saved me hundreds of dollars and I've only had my Spyder 4 months.

It's real hard for most guys to read the instruction manual 1st. + most instruction manuals are copied from other model manuals that are full of errors. The specification sheet is usually accurate-- but he instructions---not so hot :-(
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-04-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Does that $50 include installation labor... Shop Amazon.com I bought mine-i installed it & everything works. Sometime one wants more than a 12 V aux power that under the passenger seat.
    Darrell

https://www.amazon.com/Powseed-Motor...r+a+motorcycle
    Ugh, maybe that little doomaflahtchey that connects it to the dash bar is what drove the cost up. Oh well, I am sure we have all made purchases that we didn't truly research. It's all good.
    Rich
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT S
    Champagne on Black

Farkle so far:
    Lamonster RAM 1" Mount
    RAM X Mount x 2
    TricLED RT Multi-Mount RAM 1" Dash Mount
    Show Chrome Full-Size Brake Pedal
    Canamspyderaccessories rear trunk organizer
    Canamspyderaccessories rear trunk LED
    Canamspyderaccessories frunk LED
    Canamspyderaccessories Champagne Key Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket with Dually Trident Black footpegs
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff
    Lamonster RAM mount self-leveling cup holder
    BajaRon Sway bar

Spyder Garage

Default Tones are very important !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    And I could say the same thing about your last two posts too.

We ALL would be better off not trying to interpret the "tone" of text communications and instead trying to focus on and address the CONTENT.
    That is, stick to the facts of the matter and sincere opinions about those facts......and NOT get derailed off on a discussion of personalities or communication styles.

But then you probably won't like the "tone" of that comment either.
    If we can't get our correct tone's I'll never be able to get my plan for a singing quartet on the road. We can't have everyone singing baritone--someone needs to sing soprano---I don't sing--I have trouble tuning in an analog radio--thus I'll just be the music director. Remember--I'm here to help.
    Darrell

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If we can't get our correct tone's I'll never be able to get my plan for a singing quartet on the road. We can't have everyone singing baritone--someone needs to sing soprano---I don't sing--I have trouble tuning in an analog radio--thus I'll just be the music director. Remember--I'm here to help.
    Darrell
    I'm sure you've heard of the fisherman's quartet. One sang bass, one sang tuna, and the other two sang for the halibut!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Pull the Oil dip stick out, add oil the same place where the oil dip stick was. Add oil to the "Full" line on oil dip stick.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Pull the Oil dip stick out, add oil the same place where the oil dip stick was. Add oil to the "Full" line on oil dip stick.

Deanna

I blames Mike the Blueknight911 for this entire thread ever since he gave the idea to tip the Spyder upside down to drain the oil. We need to have keyboards licenced
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

I blames Mike the Blueknight911 for this entire thread ever since he gave the idea to tip the Spyder upside down to drain the oil. We need to have keyboards licenced
    Darrell
    Sent Pm. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default My humble Apology

Originally Posted by Deanna777

Deanna

QUOTE=Wildrice;1317488]I blames Mike the Blueknight911 for this entire thread ever since he gave the idea to tip the Spyder upside down to drain the oil. We need to have keyboards licenced
    Darrell[/QUOTE]

It appears that my attempt of twisted humor has made several people feel I was insulting Deanna. That was not my intention & I humbly apologize to Deanna. My sense of humor was directed toward my friend Mike who on occasion shares a similar sense of humor. On the bad side it will probably happen again to someone--please don't take me serious if any form of humor is involved.
    Darrell

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ever since he gave the idea to tip the Spyder upside down to drain the oil.
    You mean you don't do that ??

Spyder Garage

And you did NOT mention what the level was when you checked it, at least not in this thread.
    see post number 8, the one just above your #9

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default i have a question to

when i change my oil do i only use brp oil or is there a better alternative this will be my first diy change on my spyder 2015 rt-s the mrs and i like our bike i dont want to hurt anything

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harry1025 View Post
    when i change my oil do i only use brp oil or is there a better alternative this will be my first diy change on my spyder 2015 rt-s the mrs and i like our bike i dont want to hurt anything
    That is a sometimes hotly debated question with opinions on both sides. Your best bet is to copy the following into a Google search box: synthetic oil site:spyderlovers.com. The reason for using Google search is because the forum search won't search on 3 letter words. You'll get about 400 hits so you can read until your eyes are rolling around in your head.

There is no one best answer except read the posts and make up your own mind. I use Amsoil 10-40W motorcycle oil.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harry1025 View Post
    ANY name brand synthetic or semi-synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil will be just fine. There really isn't that much difference.

If it is convenient to get the BRP product, use that.
    If not, the use something else and don't worry about it.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default " ANY " synthetic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY name brand synthetic or semi-synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil will be just fine. There really isn't that much difference.

If it is convenient to get the BRP product, use that.
    If not, the use something else and don't worry about it.
    Sorry but this is FALSE .... The requirements of the V-twin and the 1330 engines are .... " Different " ...so using " ANY " oil could actually damage your Spyder ....... Everybody likes to get their opinion heard and chime in etc., but you should Fact Check the opinions you post first ...... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

At the risk of being accused of packing another shovel of sawdust up the dead horse's backside, one cannot go wrong in following the manufacturer's instructions for the type and grade of oil listed in the owner's manual. If one really wants to know how the oil one uses performs one must have it analyzed. Attempting to prove one oil is better than another without analysis is an exercise in futility.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sorry but this is FALSE .... The requirements of the V-twin and the 1330 engines are .... " Different " ...so using " ANY " oil could actually damage your Spyder ....... Everybody likes to get their opinion heard and chime in etc., but you should Fact Check the opinions you post first ...... jmho .... Mike
    So for the 998 engine should one use Amsoil's Metric motorcycle oil or the V-Twin motorcycle oil? The motor fits both categories!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default YEP ..... THIS IS HYSTERICAL

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    So for the 998 engine should one use Amsoil's Metric motorcycle oil or the V-Twin motorcycle oil? The motor fits both categories!
    I thought you knew better - are you saying you can Safely use .....an SM oil in the V-twin ???? ....... maybe you and " Easy Rider " do, but I wouldn't ....... you have a penchant for ridiculing and complaining about my posts, maybe you should spend more time FACT checking .....or ask " Billy Bovine "...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-30-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry but this is FALSE .... The requirements of the V-twin and the 1330 engines are .... " Different " ...so using " ANY " oil could actually damage your Spyder .......
    SIGH. I did NOT say to just use "any" oil.

And now you need to back up your assertion that the requirements are somehow "different".

Just exactly HOW is it different........and exactly what kind of "damage" do you think might occur if you don't use EXACTLY the right oil ???

NOTE: Just to be perfectly clear: I think YOUR assertion is false, at least the way you have stated it, and I stand by my original post that any name brand synthetic or semi-synthetic MOTORCYCLE OIL will be just fine..........for both engines; indeed, for most any motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

Default DIFFERENT OIL ?????

And now you need to back up your assertion that the requirements are somehow "different".

Just exactly HOW is it different........and exactly what kind of "damage" do you think might occur if you don't use EXACTLY the right oil ???

NOTE: Just to be perfectly clear: I think YOUR assertion is false, at least the way you have stated it, and I stand by my original post that any name brand synthetic or semi-synthetic MOTORCYCLE OIL will be just fine..........for both engines; indeed, for most any motorcycle.
    This post/reply is a perfect example of some of the folks here that give opinions !!!! ... they don't read some/most /all other posts on Thread they are commenting on . !!!! ... as an example I answered this question in the post above yours, but you didn't read it ............ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-30-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is a different requirement for the 998 because of the clutch. The 1330 can use pretty much any motorcycle oil that is rated JASO/MA.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I thought you knew better - are you saying you can Safely use .....an SM oil in the V-twin ???? ....... maybe you and " Easy Rider " do, but I wouldn't ....... you have a penchant for ridiculing and complaining about my posts, maybe you should spend more time FACT checking .....or ask " Billy Bovine "...... Mike
    Don't be so sensitive!! Actually I just wanted to bolster your argument by pointing out that Amsoil differentiates between the two!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There is a different requirement for the 998 because of the clutch.
    If that is true, THAT is what he should have posted.....instead of the broad, general, misleading statement that he did make.
    Details are important. Lack of details makes for misunderstandings.

Does anybody actually sell an oil labeled for motorcycles that is SM and not MA ??
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 11-30-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default DIFFERENT OIL ?????

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Don't be so sensitive!! Actually I just wanted to bolster your argument by pointing out that Amsoil differentiates between the two!
    ...... so why didn't you SAY that !!!!!! ....... I can only form an opinion on WHAT WAS SAID .....not what was a vague reference ............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...... so why didn't you SAY that !!!!!! ....... I can only form an opinion on WHAT WAS SAID .....not what was a vague reference ............Mike
    Maybe because he was replying "in kind".

YOU need to work on your "vague references" too.

But I am obviously wrong about that ........because you are perfect and above reproach.

Back to the original subject:
    Does anybody actually sell an oil labeled for motorcycles that is SM and not MA ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There is a different requirement for the 998 because of the clutch. The 1330 can use pretty much any motorcycle oil that is rated JASO/MA.

Does anybody actually sell an oil labeled for motorcycles that is SM and not MA (correction below) ??
    In amongst the smoke in this thread, is a detail that might be important to owners of 998 engines.

So I repeat the question, re-worded slightly:

Does an oil actually exist that is synthetic or semi-synthetic that is labeled "motorcycle" that is rated MA but NOT SM (corrected from first post) ??

I think not but don't know for sure.

Those who stated that the difference is important should FINISH the story with this information.