Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ok so I have an oil question

So I am a real newbie to motorcycles and Spyders. My oil light came on on my RT. I have 3200 miles on it. I know I need to get the oil serviced but the dealer I got it from is an hour and a half away. I don't have a trailer to get it there. Would it be recommended to get it serviced at a non-Can Am shop? If the recommendation is to take it to my dealer, where do I add oil? The owner's manual just explains how to check the oil and then to add 50 mls at a time but doesn't say where. I figured I could funnel it into the same spot the dipstick is in but I don't want that NOT to be where I add it and then risk messing up the Spyder. Forgive my newbieness.
    Last edited by Richzim275; 10-31-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Rich
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT S
    Champagne on Black

Farkle so far:
    Lamonster RAM 1" Mount
    RAM X Mount x 2
    TricLED RT Multi-Mount RAM 1" Dash Mount
    Show Chrome Full-Size Brake Pedal
    Canamspyderaccessories rear trunk organizer
    Canamspyderaccessories rear trunk LED
    Canamspyderaccessories frunk LED
    Canamspyderaccessories Champagne Key Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket with Dually Trident Black footpegs
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff
    Lamonster RAM mount self-leveling cup holder
    BajaRon Sway bar

Spyder Garage

Default oil

First off - is the oil actually low?
    If you do need to add just use the same hole that the dipstick is in.
    Only way I know of.
    Congratulations on your new bike

Have fun and be safe,
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richzim275 View Post
    My oil light came on on my RT. I have 3200 miles on it.
    While it was running? If so, how long did you run it after the light came on? Loss of oil pressure is a SERIOUSLY SERIOUS problem that will quickly lead to total engine failure. The oil light should NOT have come on for any normal reason at 3200 miles other than during cluster boot up.

If I were you I would DO NOTHING to it but instead take it to the dealer right away. Something is BAD wrong. In this case even if it is a failed sensor and the oil level is OK, it is still bad wrong.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The oil light should go out within 5 seconds of starting the engine, if it doesn't go out you've got problems.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Beg, borrow, steal, or rent a trailer and get it to your dealer. Your new Spyder should not have that happen and nothing good can come from driving it. A non-CanAm dealer will most likely not know how to correctly check the oil level and can give you false information. I'd call my dealer and tell them what's happening, make an appointment and get it in..... Good luck and keep us posted
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I agree with the others, be safe vs. sorry. If you want to get a feel for your oil level without starting the bike, check the oil level with the dipstick. Take it out, wipe it, put it all the way in and screw it down. Take it out again and read the level. The oil level, with the oil cold, should be approximately at the low bubble level. Doing this will give you an idea if you are low on oil. You add through the dipstick hole.

Rob

So I am a real newbie to motorcycles and Spyders. My oil light came on on my RT. I have 3200 miles on it. I know I need to get the oil serviced but the dealer I got it from is an hour and a half away. I don't have a trailer to get it there. Would it be recommended to get it serviced at a non-Can Am shop? If the recommendation is to take it to my dealer, where do I add oil? The owner's manual just explains how to check the oil and then to add 500 mls at a time but doesn't say where. I figured I could funnel it into the same spot the dipstick is in but I don't want that NOT to be where I add it and then risk messing up the Spyder. Forgive my newbieness.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yea, what Ann said.................

If you run that spyder with the oil light on you risk voiding your warrantee. Rent a trailer and take that thing to a Can Am dealer. Better safe than sorry.

Spyder Garage

Ok, so when I was installing my 12 v power supply I checked the oil. It is at the second bubble like was mentioned. I started the Spyder and the oil light stayed on for a second then it went away. I am planning on taking it to the dealer and have them look it over, via a trailer. Thanks for all the advice and that is the reason why I love this Spyder clan!!
    Rich
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT S
    Champagne on Black

Farkle so far:
    Lamonster RAM 1" Mount
    RAM X Mount x 2
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff
    BajaRon Sway bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok, so when I was installing my 12 v power supply

I started the Spyder and the oil light stayed on for a second then it went away.
    If that is the ONLY time the light comes on, you do NOT have a problem. No need for a dealer visit.
    Waste of time and money.

And you did NOT mention what the level was when you checked it, at least not in this thread.

P.S. What exactly is a "12 V power suppy" .......on a vehicle that comes with one already built-in ??

Spyder Garage

Ok, so when I was installing my 12 v power supply I checked the oil. It is at the second bubble like was mentioned. I started the Spyder and the oil light stayed on for a second then it went away. I am planning on taking it to the dealer and have them look it over, via a trailer. Thanks for all the advice and that is the reason why I love this Spyder clan!!
    At 3200 miles and the mention that it came on for a second before going away when starting--I am thinking you are okay. That is normal start up procedure to check that the warning lights are working.

The 1330's usually do not use oil in between changes. The 998's used a bit and require topping off about every 500 miles or so.

The fill spout is where you take out the dipstick.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If that is the ONLY time the light comes on, you do NOT have a problem. No need for a dealer visit.
    Waste of time and money.

And you did NOT mention what the level was when you checked it, at least not in this thread.

P.S. What exactly is a "12 V power suppy" .......on a vehicle that comes with one already built-in ??
    It is a power supply that has a plug for a cigarette lighter and two USB ports. For charging electronics.

http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=68
    Rich
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT S
    Champagne on Black

Farkle so far:
    Lamonster RAM 1" Mount
    RAM X Mount x 2
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff
    BajaRon Sway bar

Spyder Garage

I may be the Debbie Downer here but this is a case of where reading the Owners Manual first or at least referring to it, would have been best......
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    I may be the Debbie Downer here but this is a case of where reading the Owners Manual first or at least referring to it, would have been best......
    Col. I completely appreciate your advice but I did refer to the manual as I originally posted and saw no mention of where to add oil. Just the mention of the 50mL increments. Thanks for the help.
    Rich
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT S
    Champagne on Black

Farkle so far:
    Lamonster RAM 1" Mount
    RAM X Mount x 2
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff
    BajaRon Sway bar

Spyder Garage

I misunderstood your original post. Oil light flashing on for a second when starting is normal. Check your level following the procedure exactly as described in your manual. If your level is OK, do not worry. You have no problem...
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Col. I completely appreciate your advice but I did refer to the manual as I originally posted and saw no mention of where to add oil. Just the mention of the 50mL increments. Thanks for the help.
    OK....... but it mentions where on the dash the lights are and which come on during initial startup. The other multiple oil threads and DIY section videos here address every aspect of oil change/adding, etc.

Really, IMHO the best way to become a new Spyder owner is to read the manual front to back(repeat often), use this site's resources to learn as much about your bike as possible as there's likely no basic issue that hasn't been addressed already, then perhaps focus on farkles. The time spent here reading and learning has saved me hundreds of dollars and I've only had my Spyder 4 months.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Default oil and the owners manual

Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    OK....... but it mentions where on the dash the lights are and which come on during initial startup. The other multiple oil threads and DIY section videos here address every aspect of oil change/adding, etc.

Really, IMHO the best way to become a new Spyder owner is to read the manual front to back(repeat often), use this site's resources to learn as much about your bike as possible as there's likely no basic issue that hasn't been addressed already, then perhaps focus on farkles. The time spent here reading and learning has saved me hundreds of dollars and I've only had my Spyder 4 months.
    --------------------------------

About the owners manual, and a few things that BRP doesn't seem to care about. I read my owners manual often, and recently had to have the ACS replaced on my 2014RTL. First point the 2014 BPR RTL manual is incorrect in the picture of what "up" and "down" is for the actual control. It show stiff (harder) ride as the lowest position on the bar chart and soft ride as the highest position on the bar chart.

Secondly.....after a dealer oil change this week (4th since new), and noting at home that for the first time the dip stick was only up to the "MIN" mark, I was ready to tear into the dealer.......only to check here and find a "HUGE" history of emails dating back to late 2014 wherein it is noted that BRP made significant changes to the oil level requirements......but didn't bother sending notices out to anyone except apparently dealers - some of which apparently ignored it because my oil changes at other dealers until now had always shown the oil at the "MAX" mark !!!

So.....reading any info from BRP now is always suspicious in my mind - especially for a $30,000 machine !!

Their flat rate book is another issue, but I discussed that under the ACS threads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    --------------------------------

About the owners manual, and a few things that BRP doesn't seem to care about. I read my owners manual often, and recently had to have the ACS replaced on my 2014RTL. First point the 2014 BPR RTL manual is incorrect in the picture of what "up" and "down" is for the actual control. It show stiff (harder) ride as the lowest position on the bar chart and soft ride as the highest position on the bar chart.

Secondly.....after a dealer oil change this week (4th since new), and noting at home that for the first time the dip stick was only up to the "MIN" mark, I was ready to tear into the dealer.......only to check here and find a "HUGE" history of emails dating back to late 2014 wherein it is noted that BRP made significant changes to the oil level requirements......but didn't bother sending notices out to anyone except apparently dealers - some of which apparently ignored it because my oil changes at other dealers until now had always shown the oil at the "MAX" mark !!!

So.....reading any info from BRP now is always suspicious in my mind - especially for a $30,000 machine !!

Their flat rate book is another issue, but I discussed that under the ACS threads.
    RE: Manuals

Over the years, the manuals have always been "not" perfect. Little glitches have appeared. As new models come out, it appears that there is a lot of copy/paste going on. Proofreading seems to be an issue also.

One would think that as "issues" appear, they get noted and corrected as they happen--so that the "next" iteration of the manual is improved. It appears that this does not always happen.

Since I have always got the "new" bikes in early spring--I got a manual off line and that was some of my winter reading in the early years.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site. So if there is a question because something is not clear--just fire away, and help is not far. We sometimes get it figured out without technical help from the mother ship.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Over the years, the manuals have always been "not" perfect. Little glitches have appeared. As new models come out, it appears that there is a lot of copy/paste going on. Proofreading seems to be an issue also.

One would think that as "issues" appear, they get noted and corrected as they happen--so that the "next" iteration of the manual is improved. It appears that this does not always happen.

Since I have always got the "new" bikes in early spring--I got a manual off line and that was some of my winter reading in the early years.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site. So if there is a question because something is not clear--just fire away, and help is not far. We sometimes get it figured out without technical help from the mother ship.
    I agree there's many, many knowledgeable people here most of whom have addressed the basic issues that us new owners stumble upon. Here's a suggestion for other newbies that's worked well for me. Read through the forums and bookmark what one may anticipate as important sooner or later. Saves a lot of time and effort when one needs info. I spent most of my first 3 months here gathering bookmarked threads into a reference library of sorts. If I have a question about oil, brakes, tires, specific issues, DIY projects/videos, poor owners manual instructions, Farkle recommendations, etc., the discussion and answers are just a click away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Docster; 11-01-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Missing the point??

--------------------
    as you say you are a consumer advocate, I am a little disappointed in the tone of your response to me. Maybe I'm taking it wrong. If I am I apologize and I am sure everyone will let me know.

I have in the past and even now had many things in my life that take up precious time and frankly I don't have the reading inclination to spend a lot of my time scanning 100s or 1,000s of posts and reading about everything that: could go wrong, may go wrong, didn't go wrong, and why they didn't, wouldn't, couldn't, shouldn't, can't fix it. - before it happens. Having to discover that the recommended oil level - as stated in the owners manual of a vehicle I purchased in 2014 - has gone thru major revisions since then without me being notified somehow by the manufacturer, goes well beyond my responsibility to know as a buyer. BRP's handling of the issue (including not being willing to simply make and send out new dipsticks or a correction sticker for next to the oil fill hole) has proven since this was first noted that they don't really have a "Customer Care" attitude.

When I have the time - and I am curious - or I REALLY need to know something, I agree that I have found MANY usable or interesting pieces of information on this forum and on youtube.
    From reading what I do read in here, there is much to be learned about your issues from the issues of others. There are also many very helpful hints and procedure discussions - for when you have an issue and want insight or help.

I think your flavor about reading all the subjects and posts because I can learn a lot from other people who did or didn't go to the mother ship, while true, is not a consumer advocate posture. If the "Mother Ship" really cared.....They would read these posts about issues and respond with fixes and benefits for ALL. At that point, THEY, would be the Consumer Advocates :-))

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    --------------------
    , I am a little disappointed in the tone of your response to me.
    And I could say the same thing about your last two posts too.

We ALL would be better off not trying to interpret the "tone" of text communications and instead trying to focus on and address the CONTENT.
    That is, stick to the facts of the matter and sincere opinions about those facts......and NOT get derailed off on a discussion of personalities or communication styles.

But then you probably won't like the "tone" of that comment either.

Spyder Garage

Default Attitudes ?

We ALL would be better off not trying to interpret the "tone" of text communications and instead trying to focus on and address the CONTENT.
    That is, stick to the facts of the matter and sincere opinions about those facts......and NOT get derailed off on a discussion of personalities or communication styles.

Have a nice day :-))

Spyder Garage

Partial quote from teninospyder: "as you say you are a consumer advocate, I am a little disappointed in the tone of your response to me. Maybe I'm taking it wrong. If I am I apologize and I am sure everyone will let me know."

I am sorry you did not like the tone. My information was meant in a generic manner and not directly a criticism or trying to imply anything specific to you. Just telling it like it is--IMO--without trying to offend the Mother ship this go around.

Bottom line--it could be better and there is room for improvement. It appears we are stuck with what we have for the present. When "they" are not helping--we go around them most of the time.

I respect all others opinions--regardless.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-03-2017 at 02:27 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default appreciate your response

Partial quote from teninospyder: "as you say you are a consumer advocate, I am a little disappointed in the tone of your response to me. Maybe I'm taking it wrong. If I am I apologize and I am sure everyone will let me know."

I am sorry you did not like the tone. My information was meant in a generic manner and not directly a criticism or trying to imply anything specific to you. Just telling it like it is--IMO--without trying to offend the Mother ship this go around.

Bottom line--it could be better and there is room for improvement. It appears we are stuck with what we have for the present. When "they" are not helping--we go around them most of the time.
    I respect all others opinions--regardless.
    ------------------------------------
    AKSPYDERMAN.
    I thank you and appreciate your response. I totally agree with what you said about "When "they" are not helping--we go around them most of the time."
    In reality, so do I. But it is seriously ridiculous and frustrating to have to do it on (from what I do read in here) such simple issues with these machines and not see a valid factory response.
    You always hope you don't have the issue yourself, but when you do................................
    Anyway.....thanks again and happy riding !!.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TONE ????

SERIOUSLY ... You are a Major contributor with your comments..... talk about calling the Kettle Black ... jmho .....Mike

Spyder Garage

It is a power supply that has a plug for a cigarette lighter and two USB ports. For charging electronics.

http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=68
    Does that $50 include installation labor... Shop Amazon.com I bought mine-i installed it & everything works. Sometime one wants more than a 12 V aux power that under the passenger seat.
    Darrell

https://www.amazon.com/Powseed-Motor...r+a+motorcycle
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black