Spyder Garage

Default Do NOT use on motorcycles ! - ---

---- Why ??
    Haven't washed the Spyder since June so I thought I'd treat her.

True to "Mother's" word the wheels and tires sparkled like they were new, after having looked like we'd been 3 wheeling in a swamp.

So, what's the deal with the warning label on the back of the product - "don't use on motorcycles" ??

Is this tire and wheel cleaner that much different than the Merlin's Blood that's been profiled on this forum ?

Anyone ?DSCF8252.jpgDSCF8253.jpg

Don't tell me the tires are going to implode and the Fobo is fubar'd
    Last edited by HayRog; 10-30-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends on what it does to tires

Some cleaners (perhaps this one) that say "tire" might leave a slick film on rubber tires. In the two wheeler world we avoid wheel and tire cleaners like the plague. Especially ones that leave the tire all shiny and slick - tends to reduce traction like ice.

But, a Spyder is a trike - so it won't fall over and you can use any cleaner to your heart's content. The manufacturer was just doing a CYA move I think.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some cleaners are caustic and will damaged certain wheels

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

It is because of the traction. Motorcylce tires are rather narrow on the road contact surface and are rounded at the sides for leaning and cornering...if that surface gets slick the rider will likely lose traction on a curve and even go down. Many companies, even if they don't make it slick, have this warning.....

spyders are safe...especially all you guys using car tires....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might give you ringworms...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From what i read it is not a ph nuetral cleaner so you want to use it on painted/powder coated wheels not chrome
    or perhaps not even on machined finished wheels. i would avoid it. i use min40 on all my wheels without a problem.

Spyder Garage

Does not make any difference on your Spyder (because it is NOT a motorcycle...)

But on 2 wheels, when you lean over onto the slick, treated area of the tire, down you go. So, not a good idea to use on a motorcycle. Hence the warning.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Even Lamont cautions using his "Black renew" product should not be applied to the tread!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Rog.......wash that pig 🐷 once in a while!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Doesn't that label say avoid use on polished aluminum, billet or anodized wheels? That pretty much covers most motorcycle wheels so it's a chemical thing.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its a wheel and tire cleaner. How would that make the tire slick?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Too many bad experiences using these chemicals on car/motorcycles over the years. I no longer use any chemicals for that reason. The worst of my experiences was using a bug remover on a new car I just purchased and it turned my front black plastic grill white. I painted my grill black and never looked back. The beauty of my F3s Special is that the owners manual states to NEVER use anything other then soapy water and it works like a charm. I cant even use a soap/wax combination.

Spyder Garage

Probably 15 years ago a PA motor cop went down while in a parade due to him applying Armor-All to his tires as part of his detailing for the parade.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    ---- Why ?? True to "Mother's" word the wheels and tires sparkled like they were new, after having looked like we'd been 3 wheeling in a swamp. So, what's the deal with the warning label on the back of the product - "don't use on motorcycles" ?? Is this tire and wheel cleaner that much different than the Merlin's Blood that's been profiled on this forum ? Anyone ? Don't tell me the tires are going to implode and the Fobo is fubar'd
    I've been using this product on my Spyder without problems. I guess I never saw the warning. I have no idea why they say that, unless maybe it leaves a slippery finish on the sidewalls which would be hazardous for a 2-wheeler.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think I like Bob's reply

I do know about cleaners/tires/2 wheels and the possible dangers. Never did use a spray cleaner on any of my 2 wheels except for bodywork.
    This spray cleaned the sidewalls without leaving a slick or shiny finish.
    The label states that it's safe on :-
    painted - clear coated - color coated - steel - modular - chrome - or factory coated wheels and hub caps.

I think I'm good to go.
    CYA and lawyers
    Last edited by HayRog; 10-31-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Hey Rog.......wash that pig 🐷 once in a while!
    -- I did
    Thing is -- I wash it then ride it, only to dirty it again. It's a vicious circle I tell ya . So I keep the washing to a minimum to save water for Kalifornia

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Doesn't that label say avoid use on polished aluminum, billet or anodized wheels? That pretty much covers most motorcycle wheels so it's a chemical thing.
    Correct.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    From what i read it is not a ph nuetral cleaner so you want to use it on painted/powder coated wheels not chrome
    or perhaps not even on machined finished wheels. i would avoid it. i use min40 on all my wheels without a problem.
    min40 ?

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=HayRog;1313422]
    The label states that it's safe on :-
    painted - clear coated - color coated - steel - modular - chrome - or factory coated wheels and hub caps.

Key words are painted and coated. Lots of motorcycle wheels are neither painted nor coated although painting is becoming more popular for motorcycle wheels these days. Some wheel cleaners will damage wheels that are not painted or clear coated. They will pit or darken bare aluminum or damage anodized aluminum. I keep two bottles of wheel cleaner on the shelf. One for the Spyder which has painted wheels and another for my motorcycles which are not painted, but anodized. The stuff I use on my Spyder will damage unprotected aluminum. I spent a week wet sanding and polishing the wheels on one of my vintage Hondas because of the wrong wheel cleaner. Know your wheels and read the labels.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It might give you ringworms...
    But that's fixable with (duct)tapeworms....😁
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

I hate cleaning my wheels and didn't for almost 3 years, than an idea popped into my head when my friend who was clay balling my car at his detail shop said, he was going to have a Bikini Bike Wash during the thunder beach motorcycle rally, I decided to let the girls clean them. So now will have them done during the Spring and Fall rally's from now on. For the rest of the Spyder, I use that F11 wax on it and do that every 3 to 4 months. I spray it on every thing, seats, windshield and all the body panels, but never the wheels and tires, being afraid of getting it on the brake discs.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.