Spyder Garage

Default 1330 f3 vs 998 gs/rs speed

My dealer says the new spyders are a lot faster then the older ones.
    1. Is that true?
    2. How much faster are they?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    1. Is that true?
    I don't have a problem keeping up with my buddies 1330.
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Zero to 60

Nope, the RS has been documented to do 0-60 in 4.5 or 4.6 seconds. The F3... 4.8 seconds.
    Guessing the RS is lighter, and more aerodynamic than the F3, and the 998 motor more rev happy.

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/

Maybe in the 1/4mi the 1330's larger displacement would take the win, but I can't seem to find any times to compare
    Last edited by asp125; 10-30-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I am thinking that when you get to about 112 mph on either version that's going to be about the max. The second or two that got there first is no big deal--IMO.

I would not buy one or the other because I thought it was the "fastest." But, I am one of the lucky ones by having one of each basic powerplant.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having ridden them both I think they feel about the same in terms of power delivery. I suspect but don't know that the 1330 has a little better legs on top? I do know my RS tops out at 117 mph on the speedo (not sure what actual speed is). 0-100 is pretty quick on the RS (998), I doubt its much different on the F3 (1330)

I have only ridden these 2 engines in the bare bones so called "sport and sport cruiser" models. Not sure how much difference there is between the all decked out touring versions (F3T, RTS, RT, etc.)?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Speeding tickets are the evidence that mine is faster than anybody else.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see....

One thing to remember is starting in 2013 all the 998 engines were dropped to 100Hp. all prior years were 106Hp. Guess the big difference is the change in the powerband. 1330 has low end torque but the the 998 just keeps up with the high RPM's in the end I think the rev limiters or top speed is set in the same place for both. I have come close to the 120 mph mark so I know it will go that fast and knowing is good enough for me.... The 1330 to me is like the guy that hit the NO2 too early....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

When the Dealer or Seller says "It's Faster" then s/he is just doing their job. That is such a load of crap because 99.5% of the people on Spyders will have no idea what 100hp vs 106hp vs 115hp because there is such a small difference int he even the PWR. All those HP numbers come in at or near max RPM. How many ride or constantly bang of the rev limiter to achieve that? I would say not many. What you will notice is the TQ and how it is delivered. That will make it feel "Faster". The end result will be the time slips at 60ft, 1/8, 1/4mile, 0-60 etc. As you can see from asp125 post there is not much difference and only a rpm or shift point away form being even. Just my $.01
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree that they are so close that there is very little difference.
    With that being said, I believe that my 2012 RSS was faster than my 2016 F3T.
    For one, the 2012 was not only the last year of the 106 hp VTwin, but it was also 100 pounds lighter than the later years. I think the 100 pounds means a lot more than the additional 6 hp. As for tq., there was no lack of tq. in my V-Twin and It would still beat my F3T in a straight line. Never rode but one F3. It seemed fast, but I still think not quite as fast as the 2012 RSS.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Had my RS to 116
    Than started adding farkle after farkle after farkle
    Now only get 85 with all the extra weight lol

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I've seen 127 MPH on my sppedometer

As to how fast I was actually travelling, I'm not sure how accurate the speedometer is at those speeds.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

When the F3 first came out I got a demonstrator from a dealer and did a test circuit against my RS 2011.

The circuit was normal roads, mainly quite twisty but with the odd longer straight. I did one test lap on my RS and then several on the F3.

I don't have the times to hand (I have published them here before) but the F3, despite my best efforts, was slower around the course.

As mentioned I can't remember the exact figures now but a lap took around 11 minutes the best time on the F3 was around 30 seconds slower.

The main issue was in the corners and the problems seemed to be:
    • I'm long limbed and so had to have the footpegs in their forward most position. I found the sitting position meant I couldn't move around on the corners like I can on the RS to keep nanny happy.
    • The pickup speeds out of corners wasn't great. I heard afterwards that BRP Australia had identified an issue with 2nd gear on Spyders sold here and were looking for a fix so that may explain the problem.
    • The rear seemed to slide too easily on tight corners. Obviously the F3 was fitted with a Kenda so that wouldn't have helped, my RS would have had a Toyo Proxie T1R.

On a personal note I also preferred the way the RS engine delivers its power. I have one of the older RS's which has its max power high in the rev range and that gives a more sports bike feel. Obviously that's not good for fuel efficiency, but if I wanted fuel efficiency I would have bought a moped:-)

I do have a JT Air Filter, iridium spark plugs, and decent HT leads but otherwise my engine is stock.

No doubt BRP have tweaked the F3 a bit since then but I doubt it would have made a significant difference.

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 rs topped out at 108 mph

Hello Everyone,

It was my mid life crisis that drove me to purchase my RS. I think it was the better choice than finding a younger woman.
    I truly love my Spyder and understand why we own them. I have just over 850 miles on my RS its the most fun you can have with your cloths on. Winding roads are a blast and I love how easy it is to chirp the back tire.

Back on topic.

108 mph on a long straight section of Highway 5 in Norcal near Redding. Traffic was very light so it was easy to go fast without passing anyone. Had my wife following behind in case.... Well you know. I love how you can jump from 75 to 100 in a blink. Trike stayed true with no wobbles for odd shimmies. Topped out at 108 red lined. Probably could have gotten 110 downhill. Did I say I loved my Spyder???

I am looking for a way to extend my mirrors out more so I dont look at my arm without changing position. Any Thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're diggin' the ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 rs topped out at 108 mph

Hello Everyone,

It was my mid life crisis that drove me to purchase my RS. I think it was the better choice than finding a younger woman.
    I truly love my Spyder and understand why we own them. I have just over 850 miles on my RS its the most fun you can have with your cloths on. Winding roads are a blast and I love how easy it is to chirp the back tire.

Back on topic.

108 mph on a long straight section of Highway 5 in Norcal near Redding. Traffic was very light so it was easy to go fast without passing anyone. Had my wife following behind in case.... Well you know. I love how you can jump from 75 to 100 in a blink. Trike stayed true with no wobbles for odd shimmies. Topped out at 108 red lined. Probably could have gotten 110 downhill. Did I say I loved my Spyder???

I am looking for a way to extend my mirrors out more so I dont look at my arm without changing position. Any Thoughts?

Spyder Garage
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    1. Is that true?
    If you buy mine at list sticker price I will include my Sister in the deal--she was plenty fast--so I've heard
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I agree that they are so close that there is very little difference.
    With that being said, I believe that my 2012 RSS was faster than my 2016 F3T.
    For one, the 2012 was not only the last year of the 106 hp VTwin, but it was also 100 pounds lighter than the later years. I think the 100 pounds means a lot more than the additional 6 hp. As for tq., there was no lack of tq. in my V-Twin and It would still beat my F3T in a straight line. Never rode but one F3. It seemed fast, but I still think not quite as fast as the 2012 RSS.
    Well, I must recant my previous statement. I got a chance to take my F3T to the Virginia International Raceway. I let a friend of mine go ahead of me on his 2015 RSS. To my surprise, he could not leave me in the straights or the curves. In fact, I actually had to brake in some spots. We were pretty much even. Now, if I had been on a F3, with the lighter weight, I think I would have walked away for sure.
    I tend to think the raw untamed power of my RSS gave me the illusion that it was faster, while in fact, it really wasn't.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white