Spyder Garage

Default Shakes when first accelerating

2012 RT A&C. Spyder starts fine and idles nicely. Put it in gear and give it some gas and the whole thing shakes and groans while it gets going. Both forward and reverse. Immediately starts running fine. Stop at a stop sign and it does the same thing when accelerate. After two miles the problem is gone and is fine the rest of the ride. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
    2015 Spyder RT-S Special Edition. Two Brothers Racing exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Normal. It is smoother after it warms up right?

Spyder Garage

Question

Oil level may have A LOT to do with clutch operation.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Oil level may have A LOT to do with clutch operation.
    Oil level is fine. 5000 miles since last oil change. This hasn't happened before. I may do a oil change now reather than wait.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHUDDER

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Oil level is fine. 5000 miles since last oil change. This hasn't happened before. I may do a oil change now reather than wait.
    IMHO, this isn't " NORMAL " ....How many miles on your bike ???? ....If you bought it used and the other owner/s didn't use the correct RPM shift points you may now be experiencing clutch issues ..... The dealer can actually bring up a GRAPH ( using BUDS ) that shows the past shifting / rpm habits for this Spyder ( I read a THREAD about this many years ago here ) .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

this should not be happening. More information would be nice but it does sound like there is a clutch issue perhaps with the springs. Oil can also be an issue if you changed it 5000 miles ago and never added any since then as these twins use oil. As Mike asked how many miles are on the spyder and how many are your miles. Hope its just an oil change that will get you running smoothly...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Guys, If it were a clutch problem, then why does it only happen in the first two miles of riding?

I've seen this phenomena mentioned on the forum before and AFAIK, no definitive answer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

clutch plates sticking together when cold. jmho.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COLD CLUTCH PLATES

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    clutch plates sticking together when cold. jmho.
    99.99999999999 % of owners start their Spyders with a cold clutch prior to a Riding event ...... Sooooo why haven't there been more complaints ????? .....jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Guys, If it were a clutch problem, then why does it only happen in the first two miles of riding?

I've seen this phenomena mentioned on the forum before and AFAIK, no definitive answer.
    The 2013s had/have a problem with clutch shuddering on take off when cold. It is due to a clutch plate material change for 2013. BRPs recommendation is either let the bike warm up for a bit before shifting into gear, or shift and take off quickly to avoid clutch slipping. After the engine is warm there's no shuddering.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since you have a 2012, and it had an oil change 5,000 miles prior, you are past the oil change interval, not by far but just enough.

I am not saying that this is the issue, but it could contribute to it. Like Chupaca stated, with the V-twin they almost always lose oil between changes.

As others have suggested, and I most always do, just let it warm up, even for a minute or two minutes and you will notice a difference.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input, everyone. Spyder has 26,700 miles. All mine except the first 5450. I religiously check the oil level. Always give it some time to warm up. Maintain higher rpm's like are recommended on here. I changed the oil today. No sign of trash on the plugs. The oil didn't look real bad. I did a short run around my neighborhood. Did not have the shaking. I go on a 200 mile trip tomorrow so will know better. I will post an update tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Default Shakes when first accelerating

Took my ride yesterday and there was no shaking. The first time out of the garage I could feel a very little of it but after that nothing. I recalculated the mileage between oil changes to be 2763 miles. So, still concerned. Thanks again for the input.