Thread: hard starting

Spyder Garage

Default hard starting

I was having a problem with the bike starting. I replaced the battery with an agm battery and that seemed to fix the problem. The problem is back! When I try to start it it tries to turn over about 1/2 a turn. I checked the battery and I'm showing 13 volts. I put a jumper battery on it and it still doesn't start. I don't know what else it can be. Maybe a solenoid?
    It's been pretty cold lately, around 40 or less at night

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I was having a problem with the bike starting. I replaced the battery with an agm battery and that seemed to fix the problem. The problem is back! When I try to start it it tries to turn over about 1/2 a turn. I checked the battery and I'm showing 13 volts. I put a jumper battery on it and it still doesn't start. I don't know what else it can be. Maybe a solenoid?
    It's been pretty cold lately, around 40 or less at night
    What's the voltage when you try to start it? Do a load test on the battery and go from there.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Could be a bad starter. But it isn't going to be the solenoid because it is trying to start so the solenoid is doing its job.

Check for bad grounds. If the ground is not very good your Spyder can give you fits. All the voltage in the world will not overcome a bad ground.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    What's the voltage when you try to start it? Do a load test on the battery and go from there.
    Right after I try to start it I check the voltage and for a second it is squirly and then it shows around 13 volts

Spyder Garage

after trying to start it a few times it starts up. After a few minutes of riding if I shut it off it starts right back up

Spyder Garage

Right after I try to start it I check the voltage and for a second it is squirly and then it shows around 13 volts
    You need to check it as it's cranking. Double check the connectors.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

Seeing as you changed the battery I would start there then ground straps and starter connections...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Could be a bad starter. But it isn't going to be the solenoid because it is trying to start so the solenoid is doing its job.

Check for bad grounds. If the ground is not very good your Spyder can give you fits. All the voltage in the world will not overcome a bad ground.

check all you connections from the battery post to the starter , meaning 13vdc good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default possible

I was having a problem with the bike starting. I replaced the battery with an agm battery and that seemed to fix the problem. { quoted --- seems to have fixed the problem ? if you are getting it started maybe the cranking volts are not enough ? just enough to turn it over , when it is warm , but when it is cold from a day of not riding , needs more kick too the volts department ... kind of like the car battery you get 800 volts , but 1300 cranking or it might be the grounding ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    I was having a problem with the bike starting. I replaced the battery with an agm battery and that seemed to fix the problem. { quoted --- seems to have fixed the problem ? if you are getting it started maybe the cranking volts are not enough ? just enough to turn it over , when it is warm , but when it is cold from a day of not riding , needs more kick too the volts department ... kind of like the car battery you get 800 volts , but 1300 cranking or it might be the grounding ...
    I just replaced the battery a month ago with an AGM battery.
    Now that it is warmer the bike starts right up. Is there any way to test the battery on the bike to find out if the battery is bad?

Spyder Garage

Is there any way to test the battery on the bike to find out if the battery is bad?
    Take it out and go to an auto parts store like Kragen etc. They have a load test machine that will load it as if it were in your ride and being asked to start it. It's called a "load test". It will tell you immediately. I would suggest you do it under the same cold conditions that are giving you fits (i.e., pick a similar day (temp) and leave it out in the car until they are ready for you)....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic