Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    So just what are the heat and maintenance issues? So far I haven't run across them and I did read the stickys and look through the maintenance forum.

I would love a newer machine except for the price. Both of these RT's that I'm seeing are asking 13K. I'm looking to pay cash, and quite frankly for me, 13g's is quite a bit of money for what is essentially a big boy toy. From what I can tell, folks have gotten good service and mileage out the 2 cyl engine. If anything scares me a bit, its the semi automatic transmission. Not sure if I should stick with a manual, if for nothing more than the simplicity.
    RE: Heat & Maintenance issues?

Heat: Some complain of getting hot feet from the engine. The 2013 RT's had heat issues that BRP fixed by adding air scoops to remediate.

Maintenance: The 990/998 twins required more maintenance than the 1330. 600 mile break in service, 4,500 mile intervals for oil changes, and 14,000 mile valve checks. The 1330's, 3,000 break in service, 9,300 oil change intervals OR once a year, and NO valve check services.

The semi auto is pretty much fool proof these days. Cost about $1,500 more to get it--but after that, you get your money back on trade. Manuals, although a lot like them, do not sell as well used.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-28-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also had a Silver Wing, and loved it except I tended to fall over at stop lights (two wheel issues). I loved the room for my feet to move. I even made crude Hwy. pegs for it. My first Spyder was an '09 RS SE5. Loved it but designed the first Seal Floorboard to ease my riding position. From that I went to an '11 RT SE5 and now own a 2014 RT SE5. Ive loved them all, but always buy the base model. Much less expensive and don't need all the "shiney stuff". A set of Seals on any Spyder will greatly improve your sitting position and comfort level. Good luck on your choice. I still love my silver 2011, but the 1330 is awesome.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    I also had a Silver Wing, and loved it except I tended to fall over at stop lights (two wheel issues). I loved the room for my feet to move. I even made crude Hwy. pegs for it. My first Spyder was an '09 RS SE5. Loved it but designed the first Seal Floorboard to ease my riding position. From that I went to an '11 RT SE5 and now own a 2014 RT SE5. Ive loved them all, but always buy the base model. Much less expensive and don't need all the "shiney stuff". A set of Seals on any Spyder will greatly improve your sitting position and comfort level. Good luck on your choice. I still love my silver 2011, but the 1330 is awesome.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

I will seriously consider a set of these boards. I like to be able to move my feet around a bit and these look well made.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: Heat & Maintenance issues?

Heat: Some complain of getting hot feet from the engine. The 2013 RT's had heat issues that BRP fixed by adding air scoops to remediate.

Maintenance: The 990/998 twins required more maintenance than the 1330. 600 mile break in service, 4,500 mile intervals for oil changes, and 14,000 valve checks. The 1330's, 3,000 break in service, 9,300 oil change intervals OR once a year, and NO valve check services.

The semi auto is pretty much fool proof these days. Cost about $1,500 more to get it--but after that, you get your money back on trade. Manuals, although a lot like them, do not sell as well used.
    Thanks, that was what I was wondering about. From all that I could find online and from the responses here, I figured that I could live with the 2 cyl over the 3 as long as I could get the bike for a good price to start.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 1330 has a lot of advantages for sure, but do not be afraid of the V Twins, this is a great platform, it has an awesome record.

I really like the high reving 998 engine, it performs well, I think that it sounds better than the 1330 and the low end is great.

There are a lot of older models out there available if you look for them. Just make sure that you get the serial number and check with your dealer to insure that the recalls or updates have been done.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Red face We shook hands

I had called the owner of the black 2010 RTS and made arrangements to come back out today with my wife to see the bike again. Unfortunately she came down with some sort of bug last night and wasn't going anywhere. So I went without her to see if we could agree on a price less than his asking of 13,000. Nada had the price of the bike between 10,500 and 13,800 and KBB wasn't much different. Unlike cars and trucks, they dont seem to take into account details like overall condition and mileage. I guess thats why the give you a range.

So I came in low and he stayed up high and we danced around a bit but eventually we came to a price that was a bit higher than what I wanted and lower than he wanted; 11,700. Given the condition of the bike (pretty enough to be sitting in a dealer showroom), the low miles and the fact that I had confidence that he kept up with the maintenance and care of the bike, I'm happy with the deal. We shook hands and I'll get the bike in about a week after he gets back from a road trip. I have to order a cover for it since it won't be going into the garage till I can make some room for it. Here are some pics:

IMG_20171025_163445401.jpgIMG_20171025_163456631.jpgIMG_20171025_163421194_HDR.jpgIMG_20171025_163435939.jpgIMG_20171025_163714833.jpg
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyder experience and here's to you and your wife's new adventures.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You are going to have fun!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I had called the owner of the black 2010 RTS and made arrangements to come back out today with my wife to see the bike again. Unfortunately she came down with some sort of bug last night and wasn't going anywhere. So I went without her to see if we could agree on a price less than his asking of 13,000. Nada had the price of the bike between 10,500 and 13,800 and KBB wasn't much different. Unlike cars and trucks, they dont seem to take into account details like overall condition and mileage. I guess thats why the give you a range.

So I came in low and he stayed up high and we danced around a bit but eventually we came to a price that was a bit higher than what I wanted and lower than he wanted; 11,700. Given the condition of the bike (pretty enough to be sitting in a dealer showroom), the low miles and the fact that I had confidence that he kept up with the maintenance and care of the bike, I'm happy with the deal. We shook hands and I'll get the bike in about a week after he gets back from a road trip. I have to order a cover for it since it won't be going into the garage till I can make some room for it. Here are some pics:

IMG_20171025_163445401.jpgIMG_20171025_163456631.jpgIMG_20171025_163421194_HDR.jpgIMG_20171025_163435939.jpgIMG_20171025_163714833.jpg
    get the bajaron swaybar with links for cross wind and highway with being passed by big trucks and you passing them. set the front shocks on the hard side. Adjust thing to how you like to ride.

Spyder Garage

Default enjoy

I put 25,000 on my first spyder. A 2010 RTS .
    The V twin runs great, keep the rpm's in the right the right range and it's plenty fast.
    Rear factory tires ware fast due to the rubber compound being soft. 8,000 miles or so life is normal. Don't worry about adding aftermarket
    items till you put a few thousand miles under
    your belt. You may find that it handles fine for the way you ride. Of course if you have the money load it up anyway you like. The Spyder looks very good in the pics. take care and enjoy.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry if you mentioned this higher up in the thread:
    I REALLY hope you didn't make this deal without a test ride or two.
    And if you did NOT get a test ride, now is not too late.
    SERIOUSLY.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I am sorry if you mentioned this higher up in the thread:
    I REALLY hope you didn't make this deal without a test ride or two.
    And if you did NOT get a test ride, now is not too late.
    SERIOUSLY.
    Yes, I took it for a ride, got it up to about 60. Handled well, seat position comfortable. This was the third Spyder I have ridden including an RS-S and a F3S.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

I will seriously consider a set of these boards. I like to be able to move my feet around a bit and these look well made.
    Best of luck Eviltwin, Which ever model you choose, I have it in stock.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Eviltwin;1312859]I had called the owner of the black 2010 RTS and made arrangements to come back out today with my wife to see the bike again. Unfortunately she came down with some sort of bug last night and wasn't going anywhere. So I went without her to see if we could agree on a price less than his asking of 13,000. Nada had the price of the bike between 10,500 and 13,800 and KBB wasn't much different. Unlike cars and trucks, they dont seem to take into account details like overall condition and mileage. I guess thats why the give you a range.

IMG_20171025_163445401.jpgIMG_20171025_163456631.jpgIMG_20171025_163421194_HDR.jpgIMG_20171025_163435939.jpgIMG_20171025_163714833.jpg[/QU

OTE]
    Great looking Spyder. You will love it. Like the price, good job.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 for sale

Howdy. I don't yet have a Spyder, but am actively looking. I had a motorcycle endorsement from 30 years ago and recently started riding again after taking the MSC with my wife. My current ride is a Honda Silverwing, which I really like, but above 60 on the highway, It gets a bit tense. I'm no spring chicken, and I like the idea of a bike that I can't drop. Most of my riding is local, around 30-40 miles on the weekends. If I go with a Spyder, I hope to take some longer trips as well as hopefully ride my wife on the back.

I want an upright position, somewhere between touring and cruiser. The Silverwing has some large floorboards and it's nice being able to move your feet from one spot to another. So far I've rode 3 and sat on new models at the dealer. I'm just not up for paying the price on a new machine, so used is the only way I'll go. The first one was an 2012 RS_S, then a 2015 F3S and last a 2010 RT. Only the F3 was a manual shift. I didn't care for the RS-S, the sitting position was all wrong and shifting of the gears was rough, though that may have been partly me as I didn't know what to expect with it.

A guy near my house is selling the F3S and I liked the way I sat on it, as well as the way it rode, but his price is a bit high for me and it doesn't have much storage space. Lastly I rode the RT and while the seating position wasn't quite what the F3 was, it wasn't bad at all and I thought it drove pretty well. I kept the revs up over 4K and the shifting seemed much smoother, though I don't think I really figured out the smoothest downshift technique yet.

This particular RT (2010) has about 1400 miles on it and has been garage kept it's whole life. Bike looks like new and the only thing I found wrong with it was that the rear tire was down to the wear bars right in the center. I mentioned that to the owner and it took him by surprise. I like this bike well enough that I'm hoping to take my wife to see it tomorrow. Price is very good, considering the condition and mileage. And there is another RT (2011) about 150 miles north with about 3K on the clock for the same asking price, and it's in my favorite color, Blue.

I'm open to any thoughts and collective wisdom of the group. Anything in particular I should look out for? How hard is routine maintenance like oil changes and flushing brakes? I tend to do my own maintenance if at all possible and would probably tackle the rear tire to save a few bucks. FYI, the Silverwing needed a new rear tire as well to pass inspection and I took the wheels off and on that bike after watching a couple of Youtube videos.

Bob
    Check out the Spyder cruzrjoe has posted. Low mileage and nice price. I think it was his brothers laws.

Spyder Garage

In 2015 I bought a basic 14 RT at a good price. Have since upgraded it quite a lot. Some serious upgrades. I've kept track and have a list of every single expenditure on the bike, adding up to about 10K$. It's not for sale. I'm very happy with it and actually proud of the things I did to make the bike safer look and perform better than factory but some day I'll sell and a potential buyer will want to not pay more than the 'blue book price he read on the internet'. I don't get it. That 'blue book' bike does not have 10K$ upgrades listed. Realisticaly, some of the upgrades are my expense, warranty, tires, but the hardware stays on the bike. So I'm guessing I'd be giving a total stranger a lot of money. Perhaps, that's how things are in real life. Maybe I need to find another way to look at the process. Just sayin'

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    I would question why with only 1400 miles the rear tire is bad. I had 160000 on mine which I just changed. I'd be alittle suspicious of that mileage. Also go with the 1330 engine.
    I am highly suspicious of the fact that you claim to have gotten 160,000 miles on a rear tire!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    In 2015 I bought a basic 14 RT at a good price. Have since upgraded it quite a lot. Some serious upgrades. I've kept track and have a list of every single expenditure on the bike, adding up to about 10K$. It's not for sale. I'm very happy with it and actually proud of the things I did to make the bike safer look and perform better than factory but some day I'll sell and a potential buyer will want to not pay more than the 'blue book price he read on the internet'. I don't get it. That 'blue book' bike does not have 10K$ upgrades listed. Realisticaly, some of the upgrades are my expense, warranty, tires, but the hardware stays on the bike. So I'm guessing I'd be giving a total stranger a lot of money. Perhaps, that's how things are in real life. Maybe I need to find another way to look at the process. Just sayin'
    I think that unless the market is really tight, most of the upgrades added to vehicles that aren't appreciated by the potential owner are discounted to basically zero. In other words, they have to really want and like your upgrades. Otherwise, its the blue book price or maybe pennies on the dollars spent to customize the vehicle. Or it could deflate the price like a custom airbrush paint job that you love but nobody else does.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Perhaps, that's how things are in real life.
    It is!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I think that unless the market is really tight, most of the upgrades added to vehicles that aren't appreciated by the potential owner are discounted to basically zero. In other words, they have to really want and like your upgrades. Otherwise, its the blue book price or maybe pennies on the dollars spent to customize the vehicle. Or it could deflate the price like a custom airbrush paint job that you love but nobody else does.
    Agree. Most people want to be able to farlkeize their ride the way they want it. And a LOT want to start with a mostly stock example, a fresh canvas if you will, and ride it for 500 miles or so before deciding what to add. Heck, with a bike with $10K in extras, they may want to remove items to make it their own, which is one reason they won't pay extra for extras.

Another thought that has given me pause when seeing a bike for sale with many added doo dads is that I wonder if the owner did all the installs correctly? Did he take any shortcuts? Did he start a project in the fall and finish it in the spring? I don't know his mechanical aptitude. Especially with lights and electrics/electronics that aren't plug n play. Problems with those can show up later and really drive you nuts and to the poor house chasing fixes.

Spyder Garage

Default Whoops

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I am highly suspicious of the fact that you claim to have gotten 160,000 miles on a rear tire!
    16000 miles is more like it. You are the first to pick that up. Good catch.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Default It's Mine Now

Met with the owner today and paid for the bike. Will hopefully pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Should be in the 70's tomorrow afternoon, back to the mesh jacket. Nice.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Met with the owner today and paid for the bike. Will hopefully pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Should be in the 70's tomorrow afternoon, back to the mesh jacket. Nice.
    I wish you the best of luck.
    Please keep us posted with your experiences going forward.

Spyder Garage

on your new purchase. A picture or two would be great.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I wish you the best of luck.
    Please keep us posted with your experiences going forward.
    Picked it up this afternoon, rode it back, about 36 miles on a combination of back roads and highway. Got it up to about 68 and it was pretty stable, much more so than my little Silverwing.

I managed to figure out how to open most of the compartments except for getting the seat to open. As much as I tried, I couldn't get it to unlatch. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, since the PO had the seat open when he had it in the garage on a battery tender.

When my dear bride came home, she had me back it out so she take it up a couple hundred feet into a cul de sac and turn around. So I sat behind her, thats a first.

I ordered a new cover for it, that should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I took the Silverwings cover and draped it over the front and seats.

IMG_20171102_174542215_HDR.jpgIMG_20171102_174614217_HDR.jpgIMG_20171102_174650544_HDR.jpg
    2010 RT SE5 , Black