Spyder Garage

Default Heated grip install on 2016 F3T

I have quotes from two different Can AM dealers for 2 1/2 - 3 hours for the install. The instructions state "easy install" 1 1/2 hours. The electrical connection part doesn't scare me but as far as removing the original grips there's no detail.
    1. Is it as simple as removing the allen screws at the end of the grip or does the throttle assembly and SE6 shifting assemblies have to come off?
    2. How hard is it to feed the wires through the handlebars?

Thanks, Rick

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry that I cannot help you. But I had heated grips installed on my F3T when I purchased it. I was charged 1 1/2 hour. Not sure why your dealer would charge you more. Good luck on installation.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    ... 1. Is it as simple as removing the allen screws at the end of the grip or does the throttle assembly and SE6 shifting assemblies have to come off?
    2. How hard is it to feed the wires through the handlebars?

Thanks, Rick
    I did mine and it took me 6 hours and I had to remove allot of panels, but that is just me.

You do have to remove the throttle and shifting assemblies.
    The wires go through the "braided sheaths" on each side, splits apart quite easily.

Good luck
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    I did mine and it took me 6 hours and I had to remove allot of panels, but that is just me.

You do have to remove the throttle and shifting assemblies.
    The wires go through the "braided sheaths" on each side, splits apart quite easily.

Good luck
    So when you unscrew and "split apart" the throttle and shift assemblies do parts fly everywhere or do the 2 halves stay intact?
    Thanks, Rick

Spyder Garage

I was quoted 1.5 hours for the grips. At the same time I’m having the 3000 mile service done and short reach handlebars installed😳

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    So when you unscrew and "split apart" the throttle and shift assemblies do parts fly everywhere or do the 2 halves stay intact?
    Thanks, Rick
    No the 2 halves stay intact unless you picked away at them which you wouldn't do.

If you are going to do this yourself make sure you have a service manual as well. As you found out the heated grip install instructions are rather "pictorial" in nature, few words. The service manual can supplement some of the procedures.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Default Heated grip install

I am not sure if this will help in your decision but I am a guy that hates to pay someone to do something that I think I can do. I went by what the directions say about an hour and a half install time and I started the install on a Sunday morning , the day before I was going in for major shoulder surgery ... I figured I had all day to get it done. I would say that I am not the most mechanically inclined but I am certainly not the worst. I ended up taking the bike over to the dealer all tore apart to have them finish up.. Part of the problem is I ran out of time and I couldn't do it one handed the second part is the throttle has a spring and a bushing that has to be installed the proper way or the throttle will not snap back. It would help if the directions were worth a crap. Part of it could be my lack of being a mechanical superstar. LOL So I will say this. If I had to do it over again I would have them installed for me... Hope this helps.... PS, if you decide to install the fog lights... Plan on a day for that too.... Pain in the @$$ but doable...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cobraswinger View Post
    I am not sure if this will help in your decision but I am a guy that hates to pay someone to do something that I think I can do. I went by what the directions say about an hour and a half install time and I started the install on a Sunday morning , the day before I was going in for major shoulder surgery ... I figured I had all day to get it done. I would say that I am not the most mechanically inclined but I am certainly not the worst. I ended up taking the bike over to the dealer all tore apart to have them finish up.. Part of the problem is I ran out of time and I couldn't do it one handed the second part is the throttle has a spring and a bushing that has to be installed the proper way or the throttle will not snap back. It would help if the directions were worth a crap. Part of it could be my lack of being a mechanical superstar. LOL So I will say this. If I had to do it over again I would have them installed for me... Hope this helps.... PS, if you decide to install the fog lights... Plan on a day for that too.... Pain in the @$$ but doable...
    I did my own on a 2015 F3's. Wasn't that difficult but I do remember the length of the throttle spring being a problem/ It was 2 yrs ago & I either removed a spacer or cut off one loop of the spring. I t's worked fine for 2 yrs. The 1st time I do anything takes twice as long.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Here is a solution that may have you done in a couple hours and under $50. You only need to like fat grips.

1. Get a set of Grip Puppies > $14 Foam Covers< I recommend these for just your stock unheated grips. Can be found cheaper else where but...

2. Get a Pulse Width Modulator >$ 9 PWM eBay< that can handle 10 amps (high just for the heck of it, any one will probably do) or >$8 Amazon<

3. You will need to get >$7 heater coils< and some wire.

With a little ingenuity you can do it. No cutting up the stock grips. Wrap the grips with the coils. Soap up the Foam covers and slide them on over. Run your wires and figure out where to hide the modulator (for an F3 under the inspection cover?) and mount the remote knob (extend the wires if necessary). The foam covers have an added bonus in that they eliminate any hot spots for nice even heat.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I have been toying with the idea of Heated grips on my F3 2015 Since my Now Sold 2012 RT Had them?
    My solution was even better- Warm and Safe Glove liners I bought From BajaRon. I plug them in under the rear seat and although you are wired I don't ride that Much in the winter BUT when I do My hands are Much More comfortable Than the RT Heated grips because you set the temp with the dial- Again they are wired?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grips Alternative.

Oxford Hot Hands (over the original grips heater.). These wrap around your original grips on bike or whateveryou ride. They have an on/off switch and draw about 3 amps. Wire direct to your battery for maximum performance . wow talk about being a doubter about things like this...I was totally wrong because these badboyz really work. They put out around 18.5 watts which I think equals to about 110 degrees in heat. The longer you ride with them the more you’ll feel the heat. I wear very thin leather golf gloves now instead of the heavy thick hard to maneuver in gloves... Amazon has these for $$69.95 and Iron Pony Motorsports sells them (in store)for $44.99. Online at IronPony.com it showed them for 69.99 (weird). Anyhow these things work great!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '15 F3S SE6 Pearly White (Hers)
    '16 F3S SE6 Special Series Triple Black (His)

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyDerSts View Post
    Oxford Hot Hands (over the original grips heater.). These wrap around your original grips on bike or whateveryou ride. They have an on/off switch and draw about 3 amps. Wire direct to your battery for maximum performance . wow talk about being a doubter about things like this...I was totally wrong because these badboyz really work. They put out around 18.5 watts which I think equals to about 110 degrees in heat. The longer you ride with them the more you’ll feel the heat. I wear very thin leather golf gloves now instead of the heavy thick hard to maneuver in gloves... Amazon has these for $$69.95 and Iron Pony Motorsports sells them (in store)for $44.99. Online at IronPony.com it showed them for 69.99 (weird). Anyhow these things work great!!!!
    Looked them up. They have only ON/OFF switch. Best to replace it with a PWM switch for infinite variable heat. You can also use a remote controlled LED strip controller. Cheap to do.

>heated-grips<

>Knob PWM<

>Remote switch LED<
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey