Spyder Garage

Default Is Nanny Retired?

Last night coming home on Spyder and it was raining....took a right turn and my front wheels slid but I didn't expect nanny to come on....once I got into my neighborhood, I gave it enough throttle for back tire to spin not once but on 3 different occasions. nanny didn't come on for all 3 occurrence

Maybe Nanny has retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Last night coming home on Spyder and it was raining....took a right turn and my front wheels slid but I didn't expect nanny to come on....once I got into my neighborhood, I gave it enough throttle for back tire to spin not once but on 3 different occasions. nanny didn't come on for all 3 occurrence

Maybe Nanny has retired
    What was your speed? Below about 35 MPH you can spin the rear tire all you want....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default What he said..

also not knowing your model and year some have a relaxed nanny that allow you to push her limits a bit...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    What was your speed? Below about 35 MPH you can spin the rear tire all you want....
    09RS
    good to know, I will go practice that right now but it wouldn't take 35mph to lose control once rear wheel loses traction.

Spyder Garage

When "nanny" actually comes on you will get a quick amber light that shows the skidding. Similar when you have an AWD vehicle and it kicks in.

Most of the time, your too busy trying to "fix" the situation to notice the light. My two nanny experiences were with hydroplaning.

Other advice about not coming on when you try to test it by spinning wheels is also right on.

During the boot up process you will get a preview of all the warning lights--and there are a lot of them. Look for "nanny" and that should let you know that she is waiting for you.
    Bottom line here IMO: "Nanny knows when and best."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-26-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    09RS
    good to know, I will go practice that right now but it wouldn't take 35mph to lose control once rear wheel loses traction.
    You can get rear wheel spin to about 35 mph. But the Nanny isn't sleeping. She has parameters (as they all do) which if you exceed, she will jump in. Just because she allows you to spin the rear wheel does not mean she will let you do anything you like. Regardless of speed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can get rear wheel spin to about 35 mph. But the Nanny isn't sleeping. She has parameters (as they all do) which if you exceed, she will jump in. Just because she allows you to spin the rear wheel does not mean she will let you do anything you like. Regardless of speed.
    Yes she is always there though she does let you have a bit of fun below 35mph.

She doesn't mind wheel spins below 35mph but a mix of traction and loss really upset her. For example if you go up a steep dirt track with banding that makes changes the traction of the rear tire then nanny will really cut the power even if your going well below 35mph and keeping the revs down.

Spyder Garage

another interesting thing; when I boot up I don't see the nanny light up and now thinking about it I haven't seen it in a while.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well Nanny was OLD even back in '09, it is possible that in your case, Nanny was moved on to her "great reward"!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to have to stick a camera pointing at my dash next ride. I've never seen the light come on but can feel the power loss and brakes applied when I am aggressive especially in the twisted. Because I am new i still grab the ghost brake handle and use a lot of engine braking normally so I know the brakes coming on aren't me and I know what power loss feels like when traction control kicks in or you bump the rev limiter from my go fast cars.

Because I am new to the Spyder it could be just me too.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach