Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Are people that stupid? Yes ok I said it.

Anyone with a clue knows that a leaning trike could be made to handle better then a sport bike and be more stable upright and braking. With technology being as advanced as it is. Modem leaning trike could be made stiffer while upright and at a stop stand by itself, and when cornering adjust to leaning into the corners. Some people are just simple minded and thick headed dolts.
    I bet a good percentage of spyder owners, when first seeing the spyder when it was introduced probably shat all over it too.

Spyder Garage

Default Who was first?

Too bad Harley is stuck and doesn't take chances.

Here's something a bit different from the Motor Company, it's a patent application from Harley Davidson for a leaning trike. It's looks like a cross between the*Can-Am Spyder*and the*Brudeli 625*but it is distinctively Harley with the big twin power plant in there. Whether they are thinking of producing this or something similar, they probably wanted to get the paperwork in to make sure they were covered. Filed on either September 27, 2006 or April 5, 2007, I can't figure out which dates apply, reading patent paperwork can be a bit confusing.

From the application:

The present invention relates to a suspension system for a three-wheeled vehicle. The suspension system permits the vehicle to lean while cornering, much like a motorcycle. This is accomplished via hydraulic actuators that force the bike into a leaning position while turning, and back to an upright position while tracking a straight line. A transverse beam is coupled to the hydraulic actuators and to spring dampers to allow the suspension to operate independently, even while the vehicle is cornering.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leonml View Post
    Too bad Harley is stuck and doesn't take chances.

Here's something a bit different from the Motor Company, it's a patent application from Harley Davidson for a leaning trike. It's looks like a cross between the*Can-Am Spyder*and the*Brudeli 625*but it is distinctively Harley with the big twin power plant in there. Whether they are thinking of producing this or something similar, they probably wanted to get the paperwork in to make sure they were covered. Filed on either September 27, 2006 or April 5, 2007, I can't figure out which dates apply, reading patent paperwork can be a bit confusing.

From the application:

The present invention relates to a suspension system for a three-wheeled vehicle. The suspension system permits the vehicle to lean while cornering, much like a motorcycle. This is accomplished via hydraulic actuators that force the bike into a leaning position while turning, and back to an upright position while tracking a straight line. A transverse beam is coupled to the hydraulic actuators and to spring dampers to allow the suspension to operate independently, even while the vehicle is cornering.

Harley made it but couldnt make the electronics package work is the reason I have heard. I dont think a trike will ever truly reach the ultimate lean angle on a two wheeler you just cannot achieve the offsets mechanically.

10fa25b47d89fd6b279e749ce7affe65--racing-motorcycles-racing-bike.jpg

But a leaning trike will make everyone but a boy racer a better rider with more control and have a better experience if they are open to that. I mean the kind of riding that would beat a trike properly is only performed on a track.

The one thing we do have now that Harley didnt have is the chance to use far superior electronics even in just a 10 year period, the complete system for a 3 wheeler could be likely run off just a Raspberry Pi or Arduino PC Im writing a Business Concept document for an electronic box and its outputs now across a range of vehicles.

Spyder Garage

Default Yamaha Accessories

I have a friend that has worked on Trikes for many years and he says he will get a look at the Yamaha net week hopefully, If Ive got some feedback I'll pass it on, but also interestingly he said he may buy one just to look at designing and selling aftermarket improvements. So already there is moves in the industry to make whatever it is better if thats possible.

See what turns up to report.

Spyder Garage

Default Now we're talking

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    I just want to see a review and know how much $$. I saw the Honda at 0.46 and i like that one too.

if the Honda reverse trike becomes reality we will be first in line. I will be watching for this with baited breath...

Spyder Garage

Wow! The Honda reverse trike is VERY NICE looking. And--it's a real Honda. Now if they would get them over here for sale?

I am guessing that a lot of people would jump on that one.

Did you catch the windshield wiper on the GW? That would be a great feature if they figure out how to not scratch the plastic.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I like the idea, but it's butt ugly...like fugly
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Revisit performance 3 wheeling

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    I dont think a trike will ever truly reach the ultimate lean angle on a two wheeler you just cannot achieve the offsets mechanically.
    The Tilting Motor Works reverse trike conversion for the Goldwing will lean as far as the two wheeler will. Pegs, engine guard, etc., are what limit the lean.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Did you catch the windshield wiper on the GW? That would be a great feature if they figure out how to not scratch the plastic.
    Wipers are required in Japan.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

better yet, figure out how to keep water off the inside of the windshield.
    A second wiper?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The Tilting Motor Works reverse trike conversion for the Goldwing will lean as far as the two wheeler will. Pegs, engine guard, etc., are what limit the lean.
    Its also the system you put on it that can limit the lean and with the Goldwing Im not sure anyone really tries to go to 45 let alone 60 degree lean angles and a video on their facebook page seems to confirm that ride example didnt exceed 45deg but I doubt that people are doing that on two wheels much at all either.

Two things bother me about the TMW.

One is subjectively, the looks, Its not for me. I'd have a product design engineer go over it and make it like the Neowing rather than a steam locomotive.

The second more importantly. There was a lot of commentary in the Jay Leno's garage you tube that has just been deleted that went through the mechanical attributes of the bike suspension design and telling people who didnt have an idea about the mechanical forces and suspension dynamics of the bike and instead of addressing those comments they have just been deleted without people having the opportunity to grow from that, They thought that people wouldnt revisit the old thread and read what was going on but they are still trying to put Jay Leno's review out there as promotional material and now they have fresh negative comments on it just not as educated and not how to turn it round.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

do you know where we could see pics of that?
    it'd be great wallpaper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    Its also the system you put on it that can limit the lean and with the Goldwing Im not sure anyone really tries to go to 45 let alone 60 degree lean angles and a video on their facebook page seems to confirm that ride example didnt exceed 45deg but I doubt that people are doing that on two wheels much at all either.

Two things bother me about the TMW.

One is subjectively, the looks, Its not for me. I'd have a product design engineer go over it and make it like the Neowing rather than a steam locomotive.

The second more importantly. There was a lot of commentary in the Jay Leno's garage you tube that has just been deleted that went through the mechanical attributes of the bike suspension design and telling people who didnt have an idea about the mechanical forces and suspension dynamics of the bike and instead of addressing those comments they have just been deleted without people having the opportunity to grow from that, They thought that people wouldnt revisit the old thread and read what was going on but they are still trying to put Jay Leno's review out there as promotional material and now they have fresh negative comments on it just not as educated and not how to turn it round.
    I didn't see the comments on Jay Leno Garage that you're referring to, but I'm wondering if they got too much into design details and choices that Bob Mighell wants to keep proprietary.

I listened to him talk about his TMW conversion at Wing Ding last fall. He had a GL1800 and F6B both there with the conversions. He specifically mentioned that he wanted to let the bike tilt as much with the conversion as without it. His discussion about the design process implied there was not much analytical engineering involved. It was mostly build, test, revamp, test, revamp again, and test, until it handled the way he wanted it to.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    do you know where we could see pics of that?
    it'd be great wallpaper
    Start here: www.tiltingmotorworks.com. Otherwise you'll just have to Google for some.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start here: www.tiltingmotorworks.com. Otherwise you'll just have to Google for some.

their emphasis seems to be on Harley
    saw one Wing video but no peg scraping.
    the tilt aspect is interesting, lean but not countersteer?
    Not in my future because it's not in my wallet

anyone here actually ride one? tell us about it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    their emphasis seems to be on Harley
    saw one Wing video but no peg scraping.
    the tilt aspect is interesting, lean but not countersteer?
    Not in my future because it's not in my wallet

anyone here actually ride one? tell us about it
    He claimed you still have counter steer, but not double that a single wheel, IIRC.

It's not so much his emphasis being on HD, but that's who most of the buyers are. He did have the HD conversion in production first. He was working on the 'wing version in 2012 when I first started looking at going with 3 wheels. When I got serious in late summer 2013 he still didn't have it ready for prime time so I went with the Spyder. If it had been available in 2013 I may, or may not, have gone that route. But I'm not going to change now. His conversion is about the same cost as a conventional trike conversion.

In a phone conversation I had with Bob in 2013 he said something about meeting with California Side Car. I got the impression he was fishing for investor support or a partnership. I guess nothing ever came of that as CSC has their own non-leaning RT conversion now.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Test Ride

FYI, you can sign up for a test ride. https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...the-revolution I did more out of curiosity. I would be in so much trouble with my wife if I bought one after buying a new Spyder.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Leaning 3 Wheeler

YES VERY INTERESTING RIDE SPYDER RIDE, Little Blue
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Same dealer

My local Spyder dealer is also listed as a Yamaha dealer. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the two competing products! I just might take a test ride the next time I have my Spyder in there this summer.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just signed up. I'm itching to buy a new bike but Can am is leaving us RSS riders on an island so this might be the product to move on to?