Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Video of BRP idler "grenade" with 4,000 miles on it.

Here is a short video I shot at Maggie Valley while installing one of our Vibration Dampers in place of the BRP one. This one was installed by a BRP tech, so it was not incorrectly installed. Roll what you want, but we will stay away from these "grenades".

Spyder Garage

Probably should have led with this video first. This is where we first find the roller like that on the byke.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

That one was not going too much longer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

belt damage maggie.jpgroller gone maggie.jpg
    First job at Maggie. When we pulled the covers and found this I had the ryder immediately call his dealer. Otherwise, he would have had to eat the belt. We sold him a kit, removed the other one and he headed back to his dealer for a new belt and to put our Damper on.

Spyder Garage

Default upper or lower ?

I was thinking the idler would be on the bottom of the belt , where the belt is getting vibration on the down side ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    I was thinking the idler would be on the bottom of the belt , where the belt is getting vibration on the down side ?
    That is what everyone else thought, too. It actually vibrates on the top, so the damper is like putting your finger on a guitar string to stop it from vibrating.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Doc. I’ve been hoping that it has just been incorrect home installation that has been causing these problems, but it doesn’t look that way. My BRP tensioner only has 6000km on it and it is pretty tight, but I think discretion may be the better part of valour here, and since I already have your tensioner I will do the swapover in the next couple of days.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I still don't understand why BRP didn't engineer a better part to begin with. Doc, your product works great and I'm sure it will last for many 1000's of miles. I am glad I put yours on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I still don't understand why BRP didn't engineer a better part to begin with. Doc, your product works great and I'm sure it will last for many 1000's of miles. I am glad I put yours on.
    BRP probably thought they DID engineer a suitable part, Samson. I know they had a few Spyder riders testing them for quite a while before release with no issues. It would be good if BRP would comment on exactly why some of their tensioners are failing (they must know by now). Unfortunately, if there was a fix, I’m sure they would have released it by now, which makes you wonder.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc designed his to work right: it seems that BRP let the accountants design theirs!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What is failing the bearing or the bearing spinning in the plastic?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    What is failing the bearing or the bearing spinning in the plastic?
    Back in November last year, I predicted that the bearing would start to fail, heat up and melt the roller away. Being only one bearing with the belt movement it has too much side load, which causes wear, which causes friction, which causes wear, which causes more friction, which causes the metal to expand, which eventually melts the roller off, and in some cases melts part of the plastic arm. (see red rag still picture above)

Spyder Garage

My question would be - If my New adjusted tension is 100Pds_ How much is your tensioner going to increase the tension while the vehicle is Moving down the road? Its putting tension on the belt So how much of an offset is needed to include in the real tension with the Idler?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    My question would be - If my New adjusted tension is 100Pds_ How much is your tensioner going to increase the tension while the vehicle is Moving down the road? Its putting tension on the belt So how much of an offset is needed to include in the real tension with the Idler?
    Not really the way it works, Sarge. You can lift the arm up with one finger very easily. It isn't the pressure as much as the contact. All the Vibration Damper does is sit gently on the belt and stops it from quivering.
    Also, when checking the tension with the wheel off of the ground it will even further reduce even the normal light pressure. I don't even worry about blocking up the VD when I check the tension. Not necessary.
    The BRP unit actually has more tension then ours. Might be part of the problem with them grenading.

Spyder Garage

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Buy your add ons from the vendors.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer

I was fortunate enough to hear Lamonster at the "Spyders in the Hills Rally." He said that F3 ryders "should not" install the BRP belt tensioner. When I got home I took mine off. After 1600+ miles the bushing inside the roller was well on the way to being shot. Well poop!

On the upside, MAJOR kudos to the folks that put on the rally in Boerne, and Coyote Powersports. It was a great weekend.
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F650624 View Post
    I was fortunate enough to hear Lamonster at the "Spyders in the Hills Rally." He said that F3 ryders "should not" install the BRP belt tensioner. When I got home I took mine off. After 1600+ miles the bushing inside the roller was well on the way to being shot. Well poop!

On the upside, MAJOR kudos to the folks that put on the rally in Boerne, and Coyote Powersports. It was a great weekend.
    Our kits will not do that. We have yet to have a pulley fail. Coming up on a year in a few weeks.

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS

for the heads up Doc!!!! Your video made me check my BRP idler and at 2000 miles it was in worse shape than the one in your video!!!!

I do not think mine would have lasted another 100 miles, I just removed it and tossed it in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Probably should have led with this video first. This is where we first find the roller like that on the byke.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the vids. Eye opener for sure.

when you make one for the RS I'll be on the buy list for sure.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    Thanks for the vids. Eye opener for sure.

when you make one for the RS I'll be on the buy list for sure.
    Trying to find someone close to me that I can experiment on!!! (MUHAAHHAHHAAHA)

J/K

I'll find a close one that has the parking pawl on that side and then we will have an adapter that will work for them also!!