Thread: Leaking Fluid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Leaking Fluid

I have a 2012 RS that I've ridden a lot this season. I rode it about 300 miles yesterday and now today I've noticed some fluid on the floor beneath it. The fluid is between the front tires. There is a small rubber tube that hangs below the plastic block off panels under the engine area. The fluid was leaking from there since its directly underneath it. It's not leaking now. It appears that it leaked last night after the ride and is semi dry now.

The fluid is semi dry now and kind of greasy between the fingers. I wouldn't say its oil but I wouldn't say its anitfreeze either. Because its sort of a dry leak spot on the floor I lean more toward antifreeze (has to be either oil or antifreeze). Either way I've never seen it before and I'm sure its probably not supposed to be doing this. Riding season is about finished here but I'd like to get this taken care of before the warranty runs out in early spring (before the riding season starts up again).

18,000 miles on this bike.

Anyone know what leaks from this tube?

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had a coolant leak and went to OHG (UK Spyder dealer) last week for them to investigate it
    It turned out to be a split in the expansion bottle, they have fitted a new one
    I knew they had a problem with some on the earlier models but mine is a 2015 RT and I did not expect it to happen
    I have just under 13,000 miles on it
    Thanks to all at OHG for fitting me in at short notice as I did not know where the leak was coming from and although it was only showing as a small amount ( See Photos) I did not want to chance using the Spyder in case it got worse or caused a major problem

Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking

check your fluid levels...oil does not dry out but can be absorbed by the ground depending . Leaks are tricky if it is coming from that hose follow it and see where it goes. I have a 2012 RS and I just removed the center panel and that hose come from the top of the evap canister....would probably be a mixture of road film and gasoline.... let it evaporate a bit more and don't overfill the fuel tank and you will be fine....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies people.

I wiggled the coolant bottle pretty good and no fluid leaking from it. The level was good as well so I don't think that is it.

The evap canister makes sense actually. Last fuel up of the day I wasn't paying attention and the gas was full over the vent holes. I typically don't fill that full. I bet the excess gas got into the canister and then on cool down a mixture leaked out. I'll still pull some panels and check it over but I think you nailed it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pulled panels and you're correct, that hose goes to the evap canister. There is definitely no coolant leaking, no signs of that anywhere and I don't see any signs of oil leaking either. In fact everything is really pretty clean except for belt dust/grime around the pulley area. I put a piece of paper on the floor under the hose last night and no leakage today so I would say its done leaking out. Started up the bike and it started fine (normally) and ran perfect. I'll take it for a ride after the rain stops but all seems to be good.

One question. On another thread about the evap canister is was said that once fuel is in there is doesn't really dry out and it stops working. Should I replace the canister? Looks like they cost about $70 and the install is easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Pulled panels and you're correct, that hose goes to the evap canister. There is definitely no coolant leaking, no signs of that anywhere and I don't see any signs of oil leaking either. In fact everything is really pretty clean except for belt dust/grime around the pulley area. I put a piece of paper on the floor under the hose last night and no leakage today so I would say its done leaking out. Started up the bike and it started fine (normally) and ran perfect. I'll take it for a ride after the rain stops but all seems to be good.

One question. On another thread about the evap canister is was said that once fuel is in there is doesn't really dry out and it stops working. Should I replace the canister? Looks like they cost about $70 and the install is easy.
    Another option is to remove to evap canister completely, this was a common mod on the earlier model Spyders as the canisters often caused problems, gas smells etc. Searching for Canisterectomy should come up with lots of threads but from memory there's a couple of good ones that explain the process with photos etc.

Spyder Garage
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black