Thread: Black hills

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Black hills

Has anyone rode the black hills in South Dakota before. That is one of my bucket list of things to do. Just don't want to go when Sturgis is going on. What is the best time to go out there? End of summer or around the first part of fall after school starts back.
    Last edited by trucker1; 10-23-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Rode spelled wrong

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

we went left Sept 5th 2016 and was perfect riding weather. Those open areas can get pretty windy too.

Spyder Garage

Default Black Hills

WE went early June and we there for a week. Stayed in Hill City and did day trips out of there. Then off the Devils tower and Cody, WY. Over 2500 miles and the 2014 RTS never skipped a beat.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could go to this:http://d3wr.com/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's plenty of threads and posts on Black Hills riding. There's a 3-wheeler rally there each September I believe.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Black Hills

I think a great time would be for the 3 wheel Rally in Deadwood in July of 2018. There are a ton of places to stay in and around Deadwood and campgrounds if you like camping.
    I was lucky enough to spend 5 months in Gillette WY. building a restaurant and rode most every weekend . We may make the Deadwood Rally this coming summer.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Well since I live here most of the year, my favorite time is after Labor Day, warm days cool nights ad lots less traffic. The only downside to that is they restart the road construction that they put on hold during the Rally.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

I went the week after Sturgis and it was a wonderful experience. Sturgis, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands it ws a blast.

Life is GOOD...............
    2015 F3S
    SmoothSpyder backrest
    lidloxs
    Gloryder F3 Logo Lights
    Lamonster mirror relocations and turn signals
    Lamonster fog light kit
    Lamonster Power Plate
    X Grip
    Ram mount

Spyder Garage

I like going into the Black Hills late May/early June and after Labor Day. You miss most of the tourist crowds at that time--however--not everything is open.

We encountered snow in the Rapid City area on our last trip. It was not bad, but a bit on the cool side. Glad we decided not to rent the Spyders that we were intending to.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-23-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We were there for a weekend in early mid June. Weather was perfect wonderful ryding. We did not really have much traffic even going to Mt Rushmore on a Saturday Morning.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I have actually just gotten back from a 4000 mile trip to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington. Two places that you should not miss are the loop through Badlands National Park and 16A (aka Needles Hwy) from Rushmore to Custer State Park. In fact, I rode 16A once and had such a great time that I turned around and rode it twice more! Just watch out for the mule deer, they will jump out right in front of you.

Spyder Garage

We spent 4 days there this past summer, the week before the Sturgis Rally. We stayed in Custer, so we were right in the middle of the touristy stuff. It was my first trip there so we went to all the touristy stuff, but didn't really spend any time at any of them due to crowds and heat. We saw Deadwood, Crazy Horse, Rushmore, Devils Tower, some of The Badlands, and a portion of the Wildlife Loop, and Needles Hwy. It was in the upper 90's when we were there. We wanna go back and spend more time at everything. Most anywhere you stop out there you'll be able to find a map of the main attractions and a lot of the awesome roads to ride. The Neeedles Hwy is pretty awesome, and make sure you take the southern route as well...(can't think of the name of it offhand) but I thought it was as good as if not better than Needles Hwy. Any road that has the word "Canyon" in it is a must to ride too.....Go!!!! You will not regret it.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone. It is a lot of help. Maybe we can plan a trip to the three wheel rally. Sounds like a lot of fun. Driving a truck all your life you don't get to see much except what's out the front window. I turned 61 yesterday and I figure its time to Enjoy life more. Thanks again guys and gals. Happy Trails.

Spyder Garage

Parked the camper in a campground near Custer and did day trips from there. Spent 5 days riding the area. Found that Sturgis was pretty dead after the rally so we tended to go to Deadwood to eat at night.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sturgis is always dead.....except for the Rally! In fact it barely has a pulse!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

We already made some reservations for the 3 wheel Rally for a few days at the Host Hotel, most of the time we camp out as I pull a Aspen pop up and the wife pulls a dog trailer. There is much to see in the Black Hills including the Badlands. Custer State Park and the Needles Hwy. is one of our favorite places in the area. If you have enough time try to go west across the Big Horns and drop down to Cody then up over Bear-tooth Hwy. into Red-lodge. Once you ride this country you can understand why the Indians fought so hard to hold on to it.
    Big Hairpins.jpg Beartooth Pass Ride 033.jpg Beartooth Pass Ride 049.jpg close fit.jpg Too close for comfort.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up motorcycle muesum

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Sturgis is always dead.....except for the Rally! In fact it barely has a pulse!

BUT------ Sturgis does have a good motorcycle museum

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    BUT------ Sturgis does have a good motorcycle museum

Kaos
    We encountered that. Loved not having to fight the rally crowd. We ate at one of the biker bars on the main drag--had a great time and enjoyed the ambiance. Spent a lot of time checking out the souvenier shops that were open also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    ...... If you have enough time try to go west across the Big Horns and drop down to Cody then up over Bear-tooth Hwy. into Red-lodge. Once you ride this country you can understand why the Indians fought so hard to hold on to it.
    Easy Super, Since it sounds like you've done it, are you talking about taking 120 North out of Cody, to 296 west up to Beartooth Hwy, then back east to Red Lodge? I'm making a bucket list of routes to Spyder on.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Another Yup! Any of those mountain pass rides are beautiful in the Black Hills area.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Easy Super, Since it sounds like you've done it, are you talking about taking 120 North out of Cody, to 296 west up to Beartooth Hwy, then back east to Red Lodge? I'm making a bucket list of routes to Spyder on.
    That is correct, north on 120 out of Cody, then west on 296, then 212 over to Red Lodge, Bear-Tooth Pass is close to 11,000 feet and one of my all time favorite rides in the Lower 48, we are planing on doing it this coming summer again on our way to Deadwood 3 wheel Rally. There are some great places to stay in Cody and some great museums.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trucker1 View Post
    Has anyone rode the black hills in South Dakota before. That is one of my bucket list of things to do. Just don't want to go when Sturgis is going on. What is the best time to go out there? End of summer or around the first part of fall after school starts back.
    we have been going to the Black Hills every summer for the past 5 summers. some of the greatest riding in America!! Our NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) club caught the 3-wheel rally in Deadwood the past two summers -usually about mid July. We always go about a week or two ahead of the Sturgis crowd and find some of the vendors for Sturgis are already open.
    Don't miss Iron Mountain Road and Devil's Highway along with Spearfish Canyon and a host of other super rides.
    BIG F