Spyder Garage

Default Show Chrome Driver Backrest for RT.....any thoughts?

I'm looking at buying this because I really need a driver backrest:

https://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-A..._ob_title_auto

Anyone else using this? Thoughts on installation and comfort? It's waaaaay cheaper than the BRP OEM backrest and looks to be somewhat adjustable.
    I have a 2017 RT-S

Thanks!

Hank

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS BACKREST ???

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I'm looking at buying this because I really need a driver backrest:

https://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-A..._ob_title_auto

Anyone else using this? Thoughts on installation and comfort? It's waaaaay cheaper than the BRP OEM backrest and looks to be somewhat adjustable.
    I have a 2017 RT-S

Thanks!

Hank
    Hank , I have built the bracket that fits the 14 & up seat pans ( for a Utopia unit ) .... I have examined the PIC of this one very closely, and I don't believe it will work on the 17 RTS - Pan ...... It looks more like the one for 10 to 12 Pans !!! ......... make sure it's returnable at No cost to you ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I don't believe it will work on the 17 RTS - Pan ......
    We have one on our 15 RTS for two seasons now. Its great and has quite a bit of adjustment. They are easily removable too.

I believe the RT seat pans are all the same since they introduced their backrests in 2014. I don't think the 2017 is any different.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    We have one on our 15 RTS for two seasons now. Its great and has quite a bit of adjustment. They are easily removable too.

I believe the RT seat pans are all the same since they introduced their backrests in 2014. I don't think the 2017 is any different.
    nhoj, a couple of questions:

1. How was the installation? I have the stock seat with the plastic cutout for a backrest already in it, I assume you did too. Was there a lot of cutting or drilling involved, or was it pretty much bolt on?

2. Did you have to completely remove the seat to install, or just unbolt the seat shock to get more room to work?

Thanks,
    Hank

Spyder Garage

nhoj, a couple of questions:

1. How was the installation? I have the stock seat with the plastic cutout for a backrest already in it, I assume you did too. Was there a lot of cutting or drilling involved, or was it pretty much bolt on?

2. Did you have to completely remove the seat to install, or just unbolt the seat shock to get more room to work?

Thanks,
    Hank
    I had it on my RT and loved it. Installation was very easy, and they have a video on youtube that walks you through the whole thing. To answer your questions:

1. Very little cutting required, although you do have to cut the plastic plug a bit. The rest is bolt on.

2. Yes, completely remove. In fact the only difficult part with that is trying not to lose the sleeves on the bolts at the rear of the seat. I lost one forever in the dark caverns of the Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Default RT SEAT PANS

The pans are different .......and I'm not taking a GUESS about it ...... ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

The pans are different .......and I'm not taking a GUESS about it ...... ............ Mike
    Ok, I'll call Big Bike Parts (they make some of the attachment parts and sell the Backrest) and confirm it will work. Their PDF instructions have a diff path to follow if you have a 2014 or newer RT. It looks like I have to drill two holes in some of the plastic part of the seat pan, according to the instructions.

Spyder Garage

Default DRILLING HOLES

Ok, I'll call Big Bike Parts (they make some of the attachment parts and sell the Backrest) and confirm it will work. Their PDF instructions have a diff path to follow if you have a 2014 or newer RT. It looks like I have to drill two holes in some of the plastic part of the seat pan, according to the instructions.
    If what you are looking at says .... DRILL TWO HOLES ...then those brackets are for a different PAN than is on a 2017 RT .... The 14 & up uses four 10mm bolts and go into the BRP - OEM holes ... I'm using large type to get your ATTENTION !!!!! .....Best of luck ... my participation on this is completed ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ok, I'll call Big Bike Parts (they make some of the attachment parts and sell the Backrest) and confirm it will work.
    Please let us know what they say as I'm not sure what 4 bolts Mike was referring to for this backrest. I don't see why the backrest won't mount on any RT seat regardless of year.

And... as Spider-man indicated its not a difficult install and do take the seat off as he mentioned.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Please let us know what they say as I'm not sure what 4 bolts Mike was referring to for this backrest. I don't see why the backrest won't mount on any RT seat regardless of year.

And... as Spider-man indicated its not a difficult install and do take the seat off as he mentioned.
    Big Bike Parts rep. guaranteed fitment of the 41-168A Show Chrome Driver Backrest onto a 2017 RT-S. Full refund if returned within 30 days. They are a pretty well-known parts supplier, so I see no harm in giving it a try. I'll line everything up for fitment before removing/cutting anything.

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

I've used Utopia backrest for the last 20 years Goldwings victories and spiders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ed&Jenelle View Post
    I've used Utopia backrest for the last 20 years Goldwings victories and spiders
    Yeah, I like the Utopia's also, larger pad and about the same price as the Show Chrome one. I'll figure out which one I want soon. Anything is better than the weightlifting belt I'm wearing while riding now!

Spyder Garage

I've got one of their backrests and I really like it. Lots of adjustability, and the install is pretty easy. I believe ours specified 2014 and newer.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default seat pans

Dear Sir:........PLEASE STOP GUESSING ..... when you GUESS about something , and someone takes YOUR advice and it turns out NOT TO BE FACTUAL , that person either has a financial loss or possibly HURT depending on What is being guessed about ........... I've actually done a dozen or so INSTALS for 14 and up brackets .... and almost all of them were done with the SEAT still on the Spyder .. The 14 and up seat pans use FOUR bolts to attach the Bracket ( BRP's or any other Brand ) ... There are Newbies on this Forum who need some help with stuff and probably have not figured out who has Valid info and who is still " thinking maybe " or " guessing " it could be etc....... I like the Doctors code of ethics " Do No Harm " ...... I'm not writing this as a Personnel attack on you ...... I think everyone here should be careful of what or How they give advice ............ Love , Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-24-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Dear Sir:........PLEASE STOP GUESSING ..... when you GUESS about something , and someone takes YOUR advice and it turns out NOT TO BE FACTUAL , that person either has a financial loss or possibly HURT depending on What is being guessed about ........... I've actually done a dozen or so INSTALS for 14 and up brackets .... and almost all of them were done with the SEAT still on the Spyder .. The 14 and up seat pans use FOUR bolts to attach the Bracket ( BRP's or any other Brand ) ... There are Newbies on this Forum who need some help with stuff and probably have not figured out who has Valid info and who is still " thinking maybe " or " guessing " it could be etc....... I like the Doctors code of ethics " Do No Harm " ...... I'm not writing this as a Personnel attack on you ...... I think everyone here should be careful of what or How they give advice ............ Love , Mike
    Well said. So many people read forums and get bad information and then that bad information spreads like wild fire and forum are useless.