Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20s Battery replacement

I'm sharing this as there is quite a bit of discussion around Sena products. The battery in my 20s has gotten so bad that it's only lasting a bit over an hour. I found the following video on YouTube on replacing the battery. The video is well done and I just opened up my Sena 20s and ordered the recommended battery from eBay.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

good job Rob

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info!

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Sena

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I'm sharing this as there is quite a bit of discussion around Sena products. The battery in my 20s has gotten so bad that it's only lasting a bit over an hour. I found the following video on YouTube on replacing the battery. The video is well done and I just opened up my Sena 20s and ordered the recommended battery from eBay.

Rob
    Thanks. Need to change mine out.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

I did ours. Took less than an hour to do both headsets. Good as new now.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I have been doing them free for people that don't have the tools and skills.
    I also do Garmin GPS units free.

Contact me if you would like me to do it for you. You buy the battery and pay shipping.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I bought two batteries on Ebay to do ours, but it looks like they are on the slow boat from China. I guess they no longer can ship by air.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default I know what you mean

My two have cleared US customs and now appear to be in CT with the USPS. I'm hoping I get mine by the end of next week.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I bought two batteries on Ebay to do ours, but it looks like they are on the slow boat from China. I guess they no longer can ship by air.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Can you give the link to the batteries that you ordered? TIA.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb My Batt Replacement

Here is the link for the batteries I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ones in that video have a smaller mah capacity and did not want a shorter run time (example traveling from NJ to Canada over 8 hours)

They were slightly larger then the dimensions shown on amazon. First thing I did was cut the nice heavy heat shrink overwrap to see if the cell had the battery protection circuit, some cheap lipo’s do not and I will not use those. It had a nice 3 IC lipo protection circuit board.

The heat shrink was thick and may help prevent the battery from puffing so chose an intact lipo to install. 2 plastic tabs on the main body and 1 on the cover need to be trimmed for the battery to fit properly. No big deal, 1 minutes work with a pair of side cutters. You can see the battery is longer then the original, the battery has to be installed with the notched section (where the wires exit) down. This way the battery goes right over the volume pot.

The Sena was assembled and taken apart 3 times to make sure no wires or the battery was getting pinched, no issues were detected. If the battery is in the right place no force is needed to get the cover back on. I did mine and Meg’s and they work fine. Amazingly my sena’s battery was not puffed up, only slightly. Decided to change it anyway.

I feel the larger battery and the fact it is 25C may provide longer life before failing. Flying a quadcopter is more demanding on a battery then a Sena 20S so I think this lipo is better quality then the original.

We having been using the new batteries in both our Sena 20S for 2 months now and they work great and seem to have more volume without distortion then the original batteries did.

The photos show the stock lipo in comparison to the new battery.

Last edited by SpyderCruiser; 11-04-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Here is what I purchased: https://www.ebay.com/itm/182100923477
    Rob

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this tread, I need to change one of mine this winter... might steal one from my Q100 quadcopter lol.

JT