Spyder Garage

Default What is your tyical ride?

I see many here have a lot of miles on their Spyders, some on more than one.
    What is a typical ride for you?
    Long trips, short trips, day rides. short hops when you can get the time?
    My rides are usually 100-175 miles each. Most within a 5 county area in central FL. Watching the wildlife (hawks, the occasional eagle, cows, horses, gators, and goats)-with frequent roadkill sightings.
    Boring, I'm sure , to the distance folks, and to those with incredible scenery on every ride.
    How 'bout the rest of you?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My typical rides are 100-150 miles also. I do about 2 multiple day trips a year. They account for about 1500 miles each. Then I do about 3 "day" trips. They are trips to the mountains or beach. Typically a day trip is about 450-500 miles. I average anywhere between 10k & 13k a year.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default What he said..

pretty much the same...don't have time for those 5,000 mile road trips...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Good question. I have not done a "road trip" since 2010. We drove to Whitehorse YT with a side trip to Skagway AK. About 2500 miles round trip.

I am fortunate to live in AK where the scenery is beautiful. During the season, I get in daily rides--which end up in picking up the mail. My famous 100 mile mail pick--if you will allow.

I have five "short" rides within 10 miles of my home, up scenic mountain valleys. Each turns into 100 miles or so--sometimes much more. I am retired from day jobs--so I have the time. The seasons change so fast here that once a week on each of those rides provides a different view from the last time.

On weekends--we usually go for a longer destination. This summer we maxed out at 200 miles per ride.

That's my story.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Mostly on two wheels though

Between 100-200 miles, mostly twisty mountain roads, usually involving food somewhere. If I have time I can sneak in 60mi of twisty corners for a quickie. Once or twice a year I get in a 4 day ride to the other side of the state. Clearly not enough.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

We live in a pretty darn part of the country, southern WI. We have every type of terrain there is...except real mountains of course. Most of our riding has been day rides of about 175 miles, mostly making big circles...LOL...I hate the interstate on a bike. We have about 5700 miles this season and haven't gotten anywhere....LOL....our big trip this summer was going to SD for a few days, and we cheated and trailered out there
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My typical ride is 8 miles to work, 8 miles home for lunch, 8 miles back to work and 8 miles home at the end of the day.

I have snuck in two rides from Dallas to Erika Springs, Arkansas. One in April and one in September.

I just completed 550 miles from Dallas to the Talimena National Senic Byway and back. The wife went along for that one.

I have a 2017 RTS and just rolled over 8000 miles. Love the ride.
    2017 RT-S , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

A 3 to 4 week trip once a year. Usually about 5K miles. Then 3-4 day trips 4 or 5 times a year covering about 1K each. In addition to regular weekly "lunch rides" with a group which is usually about 200 miles.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default My usual trips

I am more a long distance person. I have done 30,000 km in a month and on day trips usually around the 300 km. My last bike was a ST1300 and in 5 years did 250,000 km before selling it and buying the spyder. I have so far done 15,000 in a month and several day trips.
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TYPICAL RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    My rides are usually 100-175 miles each. Most within a 5 county area in central FL. Watching the wildlife (hawks, the occasional eagle, cows, horses, gators, and goats)-with frequent roadkill sightings.
    Boring, I'm sure , to the distance folks, and to those with incredible scenery on every ride.
    . All of the above ... unless I ABSOLUTELY need the truck , I take my Spyder unless it's really raining pretty bad ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our typical rides are 400 to 700 miles a day. We only did 370 today but we didn’t leave until 1:00 pm
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Our rides are usually 100 to 200 miles with a couple of 300 mile rides this year. If it takes less than a tank of gas, I don't feel satisfied!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Every kind of ryde

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    You mentioned. I’m blessed to be retired. Usually exhaust Travel funds before a desire to stop sets in.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I ride 4 km. to work and 4 km. to back home at the end of the day, every day.
    Every two or three weekends small routes of 200/300 km. Approx.
    Twice a year routes of 1000/1200 kms.
    I am waiting to retire to make the “long route of my life” from Barcelona to North Cape, 11.000 km round trip.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Default Funny you should ask...

... we've had our Spyder 4-1/2 months now, and I have just been reflecting on what we've done over our first 3000 miles.

The F3 was definitely an impulse buy. It fills 'wants' rather than 'needs', and this is reflected in our rydes. Yesterday, we went out for lunch - 8 hours, and 315 miles later, we were back home ... kinda took the long way there and back. Well, we're in our mid-to-late 70's and we bought the thing for fun. As much as we can get before they turn the lights out forever. So, that kind of defines our 'typical' ryde.

If the weather is nice and the time is available, our friend the Spyder beckons and we all go off on a jaunt together. It's our version of the 'menage a trois'. And we DO get it on!!! Two warm bodies and a HOT bike. Some days, it's an hour up the road for an ice cream; other times, it's 3 - 4 hours on back country roads looking at scenery or taking in the beauty of fall foliage. All of it fun.

So, that's really what's 'typical' about our rydes --- we're out there, in the fresh air, sharing life with our Spyder. The distance, the places don't matter so much as the time spent together. Non-riding days are a downer. Here are some 'typical' ryde pics:lunch1.jpglunch2.jpglunch7.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bushrat; 10-24-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Typical ride

I mostly do 100-250 mile long trips. The longest ride was 615 miles in a 24 hour time frame with sight seeing, lunch and other stops thrown in. It was a great day.
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750
    1974 Rokon MX340
    1984 Toyota tube buggy (Truggy) rock crawler (highly modified)
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser(modifiedfor off-roaduse)

Spyder Garage

Like so many, it's not about the miles as it is about the time in the saddle. I'll admit though, 3 to 4 hours is a comfortable range for my wife and I. We will travel from home for a 2 hour ride to have lunch and find a different route home. To extend our range but not the time in the saddle, we will trailer our Spyder for an 1 1/2 hours, unload at a Walmart, or like planned for today, a Park & Ride. From there we can take a ride, have lunch, return to the truck & trailer for a drive home. 98% of our travels are state or local roads with the occasional highway. I've seen more countryside with the Spyder than I saw in decades before. WE LOVE IT!!!!!
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Default My Typical Ride

My typical ride goes as follows:

1. Meet a few folks at local coffee shop and do some meticulous route planning to our destination; usually about 200 miles. If solo, I just sit and plan by myself

2. Leave out and abandon the planned route about 30 mins into the ride because; "Hey, this road looks fun!"

3. Get totally lost and stop at the seediest old gas station possible, preferably one with a Really Old Geezer sitting out front in a rickety chair

4. Start up a conversation with aforementioned Old Geezer that starts with "When I was young......" and ends about 45 mins later.

5. Finally make it to destination and repeat #2 and #3 on the return leg

6. Stop at crummy old dive bar on the way home for ONE allowable beer; preferably dive bar with sketchy-looking bikers standing out front.

All-in-all; a great time!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My typical ride?

Not long enough...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black