Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nonetheless: you're still wrong.
    Firearms ownership IS an individual right, and insulting conservative speakers and the Executive Vice-President of the NRA is absolutely rude.

Have we said anything about your Gun-Control advocates; that would be considered to be an insult?
    the first amendment is a constitutional right whether you like it or not, agree with it or not. now i agree the insults
    should not be at a speaking engagement but unfortunately it might just be legal.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    No, as explained in the second paragraph, the decision was a narrow one, in which they decided a state did not have the right to deny individuals their right to keep and bear arms. The author made it quite clear that the court has never ruled on an interpretation of the language of the second amendment. Thus, the debate continues.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you! I just read the entire majority opinion of the 2008 SC ruling cited above, and that is exactly what it does. The militia is a subset of the population, specifically back in the founding day, men who could carry weapons. The SC opinion states that the right to bear arms is not limited to the organized militia, but that the militia is made up from all citizen men. What the SC opinion also says is the 2nd Amendment applies to the Federal Government specifically. States are free to pass laws controlling the bearing of arms. They are not free to prohibit carrying arms, nor to restrict their readiness within the owner's home, i.e., trigger locks cannot be required to be installed when the gun is in a home. They kind of tiptoed around what kinds of guns can be restricted or outlawed, but it is clear that the ownership of ordinary type guns used for hunting and self defense cannot be prohibited. They left in place the law outlawing machine guns that was established in the '30s. Licensing requirements and restrictions, by the states, on mentally ill and felons was left in place. In other words, 'all citizens' is not an absolute 100% inclusive phrase. Concealed carry laws are left in place.

Read the entire SC opinion. It's good bedtime reading, i.e., it'll put you to sleep.

Don't take my comment above as endorsing all the arguments of the pro gun groups. I don't, and I don't agree totally with the SC opinion, but it is what it is.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The militia is a subset of the population, specifically back in the founding day, men who could carry weapons. The SC opinion states that the right to bear arms is not limited to the organized militia, but that the militia is made up from all citizen men. What the SC opinion also says is the 2nd Amendment applies to the Federal Government specifically. States are free to pass laws controlling the bearing of arms. They are not free to prohibit carrying arms, nor to restrict their readiness within the owner's home, i.e., trigger locks cannot be required to be installed when the gun is in a home. They kind of tiptoed around what kinds of guns can be restricted or outlawed, but it is clear that the ownership of ordinary type guns used for hunting and self defense cannot be prohibited. They left in place the law outlawing machine guns that was established in the '30s. Licensing requirements and restrictions, by the states, on mentally ill and felons was left in place. In other words, 'all citizens' is not an absolute 100% inclusive phrase. Concealed carry laws are left in place.
    That's good to know, thanks. I was just going with what the author of the citation seemed to be saying, but I should have read further, as you did.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you! I just read the entire majority opinion of the 2008 SC ruling cited above, and that is exactly what it does. The militia is a subset of the population, specifically back in the founding day, men who could carry weapons. The SC opinion states that the right to bear arms is not limited to the organized militia, but that the militia is made up from all citizen men. What the SC opinion also says is the 2nd Amendment applies to the Federal Government specifically. States are free to pass laws controlling the bearing of arms. They are not free to prohibit carrying arms, nor to restrict their readiness within the owner's home, i.e., trigger locks cannot be required to be installed when the gun is in a home. They kind of tiptoed around what kinds of guns can be restricted or outlawed, but it is clear that the ownership of ordinary type guns used for hunting and self defense cannot be prohibited. They left in place the law outlawing machine guns that was established in the '30s. Licensing requirements and restrictions, by the states, on mentally ill and felons was left in place. In other words, 'all citizens' is not an absolute 100% inclusive phrase. Concealed carry laws are left in place.

Read the entire SC opinion. It's good bedtime reading, i.e., it'll put you to sleep.

Don't take my comment above as endorsing all the arguments of the pro gun groups. I don't, and I don't agree totally with the SC opinion, but it is what it is.
    Have we reached the:

*****-mic-drop.jpg

moment yet??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have we reached the:

*****-mic-drop.jpg

moment yet??
    I don't know. Did the fat lady sing?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would NEVER discuss the weight of a Woman...
    Some misandrist somewhere; would call me a misogynist!

Besides: this one was a cooler picture!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would NEVER discuss the weight of a Woman... Some misandrist somewhere; would call me a misogynist! Besides: this one was a cooler picture!
    "You're probably right", he said reluctantly.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides: ALL women are beautiful...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides: ALL women are beautiful...
    ...and all the men are handsome, and the children are all above average...I think we just described Lake Wobegon...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not handsome...
    But I am truthful!