Thread: Winter storage

Spyder Garage

Default Winter storage

I am new to the Spyder world. Purchased a used 2015 F3S a few months ago. Being in Minnesota need to soon store the bike for winter. It will be stored in a non-heated garage. I have read the manual about storage and also some other posts but still have a few questions I thought I would ask the group.

1). Looks like leaving the battery in the bike all winter is fine but was wondering if removing the battery is better?
    2). Do people leave the battery maintainer powered on all winter or should it be turned on every couple weeks or once a month?
    3). I have read some people say cover the bike, some say don’t. Thoughts on this? Also, I have F4 28” windshield, any suggestions for a cover that will fit with the taller windshield?
    4). Manual says change the oil before storing for winter. Dealer I bought the bike from suggested changing the oil in the spring before starting to ride again. Thoughts on this?
    5). Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sbdraz View Post
    I am new to the Spyder world. Purchased a used 2015 F3S a few months ago. Being in Minnesota need to soon store the bike for winter. It will be stored in a non-heated garage. I have read the manual about storage and also some other posts but still have a few questions I thought I would ask the group.

1). Looks like leaving the battery in the bike all winter is fine but was wondering if removing the battery is better?
    2). Do people leave the battery maintainer powered on all winter or should it be turned on every couple weeks or once a month?
    3). I have read some people say cover the bike, some say don’t. Thoughts on this? Also, I have F4 28” windshield, any suggestions for a cover that will fit with the taller windshield?
    4). Manual says change the oil before storing for winter. Dealer I bought the bike from suggested changing the oil in the spring before starting to ride again. Thoughts on this?
    5). Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
    Here's my take.

1. : Your choice. I am noting "unheated garage" so sounds like cold, but out of the weather. Answers based on the above.

2. : Leave the maintainer on all the time. Mine sit for an average of 160 days and start on the first try.

3. : Cover is better...I don't us them on mine.

4. : Pickers choice again. For me--depends. I have less than 4,000 on both. Going to wait till spring this year.

5. : Give it a full charge ride before putting to bed. Fill gas tank and add Stabilizer (you pick brand and follow recommendations for how much to add).

You should be good to go. I lived in Northern MN. for over 20 years.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ride until they spread salt and sand,
    You can leave the battery in the Spyder if you have a Battery tender connection
    I use the battery tender junior and leave it connected all storage season.
    Even a sheet to keep the dust off is fine as long as there's nothing making the cover rub against the Spyder (a good clean and wax before storing also helps).
    Change your oil when mileage or preferences tell you to. I change mine at the start of the riding season, but I have a 998 and change more often than your 1330 needs.
    Check your tire pressures before spring rides.
    I'm south of you in Faribault and didn't store until middle of November, out before April, hope to see you on the road sometime.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I prefer to store it with fresh oil in it. It's important to get the acidic yuck oil out of the motor. I cover ours up, but I also leave a night light on near it so the little critters don't consider it a safe hiding place. I leave the battery in it, that's why so many people add a pigtail to the battery for a battery tender. I leave the battery tender on all the time as well, until spring. A good tender "maintains" the charge, and only charges when needed.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi Sbdraz,

Re: Winter storage

Here in Oregon, we do not get as cold as you do.

I put my Battery Tender Jr on it but remove it once a month when I start her up & warm her up.

I also put StaBil in it.

I change the oil in the Spring of the next year.

Mine sits in an unheated garage next to my car. The garage is attached to the house so it is not as cold as the outdoors.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Fortunately I've never had to store a bike.
    If I did, I would put it in another building where I would not have to see it and know I can't ride.
    Seeing it with no hope of getting on it and going somewhere would likely exacerbate my mental issues

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

I leave the battery in place with a pigtail on it and use a battery tender.

Fill the gas tank with fresh fuel and a stabilizer. I have used Stabil, Star-tron, Sea Foam, all seem to work just fine. Do not start the machine unless you plan on taking a ride long enough to get it good and hot. Starting and "warming her up" will cause condensation to form in places where you don't want condensation to be.

If I'm within a couple thousand miles of an oil change I will change it before storage, if not then I won't.

I don't use my regular cover since the bike is in a garage (unheated) Bed sheets work great at keeping the dust off and also will allow air circulation. Buy some cheapies at discount store.

Give the machine a good cleaning and a nice coat of wax and then you can skip that step in the spring when you would rather ride than wax.

Mid-winter rides are possible here in Ohio as long as there is no salt on the roads. If I do take a ride I will wipe the bike down and use a spray detailer on it. I like Meguirs products, but that's just my preference.

I haven't had a critter problem with any of my bikes stored for the winter. Maybe the unheated garage is a plus since they are probably looking for a warm spot. Many modern wiring harnesses on our vehicles have soy based insulation instead of rubber. Mice love soy.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Put your battery on a Tender
    Don't cover the bike
    Change the oil in the Spring
    Douse some rags with peppermint oil, and leave them in the bodywork, and around the bike.

WHY???
    If you keep the battery on a maintainer: it will be in good shape in the Spring
    Covering the bike makes for a greater number of hiding places for all sorts of critters that you don't want near your bike
    You might as well set the bike up for a Springtime "re-freshening"... The old oil won't hurt anything
    These critters HATE the smell of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black