Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...Tire size

I don't want to start another discussion about tires. There are way enough already here. After researching this forum I purchased a General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 rear tire and a pair of Federal Formoza AOZ1 175/55R15s for the front. I will have the fronts mounted on Monday. Tuesday, bike is going to the shop to have the rear mounted along with a new drive belt installed (darn rock). The tires all look awesome (for a tire). But, the front tires look like they are a bit big to fit under the fender. I do trust you who have installed these slightly bigger tires and am confident they will fit. But.....they are noticeably bigger!!! Thanks to all who have contributed to tire information. And I want to especially thank Mike and Peter for your expertise and advice. The information you provide on this subject is invaluable. I am anxiously awaiting my "new" riding experience.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I don't want to start another discussion about tires. There are way enough already here. After researching this forum I purchased a General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 rear tire and a pair of Federal Formoza AOZ1 175/55R15s for the front. I will have the fronts mounted on Monday. Tuesday, bike is going to the shop to have the rear mounted along with a new drive belt installed (darn rock). The tires all look awesome (for a tire). But, the front tires look like they are a bit big to fit under the fender. I do trust you who have installed these slightly bigger tires and am confident they will fit. But.....they are noticeably bigger!!! Thanks to all who have contributed to tire information. And I want to especially thank Mike and Peter for your expertise and advice. The information you provide on this subject is invaluable. I am anxiously awaiting my "new" riding experience.
    . Thank you for your kind words, I'm sure Peter will appreciate them also ..... Those Formoza's have been fitted by others here so I'm sure they will fit yours ....Personally I put General Altimax's in 175/65 -15's on my fronts with basic fenders but I did bend the brackets a little ..... From my understanding of the problem with clearance with the New Style Front fenders ...is caused by the NEW inner plastic side piece .... I believe if you don't use this any clearance issue would be resolved ..... this piece is more a Splash guard than anything else ..... and since you like my advice ... the fronts can run at 15psi and the rear at 18psi .... they will have better traction , especially in the rain .... and the ride ( ie comfort ) will be better ...... The tire is ACTUALLY a part of the suspension system ...... a high psi car tire will give a hard ride .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Where to shim the front fender for a larger tire?

I know a few people with grooves cut into their side walls which doesn't sound healthy to me.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GROOVES !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I know a few people with grooves cut into their side walls which doesn't sound healthy to me.
    Darrell
    .. REALLY ...who in their right minds would do this ......... I have used washers between the fender mounting brackets and the HUB .... Also up to 1/8 th in. washers on the wheel studs before mounting the wheel/tire ...... the washers ( especially on the studs ) should be as close to an EXACT fit for the bolt/stud size .............. Remember if there is NO contact with tire and bracket ...this will not change even with lower tire pressures , because any bulge with be at or near the road surface not where the brackets are ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .. REALLY ...who in their right minds would do this ......... I have used washers between the fender mounting brackets and the HUB .... Also up to 1/8 th in. washers on the wheel studs before mounting the wheel/tire ...... the washers ( especially on the studs ) should be as close to an EXACT fit for the bolt/stud size .............. Remember if there is NO contact with tire and bracket ...this will not change even with lower tire pressures , because any bulge with be at or near the road surface not where the brackets are ..... good luck .... Mike
    I guess the clearance looked ok to them initially--then a few hundred miles later---the Picasso artwork appeared--Abstract Infoitem--it's a Greek mythology thing--I don't get it either.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just got the Formozas in the stock size. Waiting to wear out the Kendas.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't want to start another discussion about tires. There are way enough already here. After researching this forum I purchased a General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 rear tire and a pair of Federal Formoza AOZ1 175/55R15s for the front. I will have the fronts mounted on Monday.
    I installed Continental Contiprocontact 165/60R15 on the fronts. Same width number as the OEM but a bit larger diameter. There isn't much room to spare between tire and fender so the 175 may be pushing it close.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I installed Continental Contiprocontact 165/60R15 on the fronts. Same width number as the OEM but a bit larger diameter. There isn't much room to spare between tire and fender so the 175 may be pushing it close.
    I'll know for sure tomorrow but looks like everything will be A-OK. the 175/55s are actually 3/8th of an inch wider and 2/10th of an inch taller than OEM. Your 165/60s are actually taller than the 175/55 by a tenth of a inch. It seems there are many here running 175s without any issues. Stand by for actual results.....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

With Wildrice's comments in mind, after I removed the front tires, I did a good search of things that could potentially rub the wider tires. The 3 bolts that attach the fenders to the fender brackets protrude unnecessarily far into the fender wells. I removed them and snipped a quarter inch off each one with bolt cutters. Now, if anything were to rub, it would only be the smooth surface of the fender bracket. And, I can get my little finger between the new tires and the brackets. The top of the fender is also close but still has little finger clearance. No rubbing of any kind noted. The new tires are awesome. Had them mounted and balanced at Costco. What I thought was the dreaded belt vibration at interstate speeds is now completely gone. The bike is smooth and solid on the road. I had some pretty good cupping on the OEM tires, especially the right one. I will now never know for sure, but I bet I also had some tread separation happening. Every little thing I have done to the bike (Elka shocks, Squared Away, etc.) has made a noticeable improvement to the ride. By far the biggest improvement has been replacing the front Kenda tires. Total cost of the tires replacement including mounting and balancing was $150.00. Should have done it long ago. The bike is at the shop having a new drive belt and rear tire installed as I write this. I'll pick it up in a couple of hours and am anxious for all the future miles of smiles. Thanks again to all those who provide excellent insight and thoughtful comments.....
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

With Wildrice's comments in mind,... The new tires are awesome. Had them mounted and balanced at Costco...
    Did you purchase the tires at COSTCO? What was the brand/size of the tires.?
    Costco fills their tires with Nitrogen which is great because the tire pressure doesn't change with heat.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Purchased tires on-line. My first post has brand and size.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I am also running the Continental Contiprocontact's on the front( size: 165/60 R15) which was installed last year. I have not had any problems. Also, there is not much space between the fender supports/ fender outside. It is about the width of my finger for space.

I am also running the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear, (Size: 215/60 R15) no problems, and I have 16,209 miles on them. There is a lot of tread left.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue