Spyder Garage

Default Sorry but another newb here.

First post so a little history is in order.
    I've been a long time Harley guy and been riding on 2 wheels for about 35 years. I was diagnosed in January this year with a incurable form of cancer and along with all the treatments comes the fatigue and weeknes. Due to all this the wife decided we should do a trike as she said she’d feel safer on 3 instead of me trying to hold us up on 2.
    Well naturally I went and got a new Harley Triglide.
    I have always been intrigued with the Spyders but the wife said they looked “weird”. LOL
    Anyway, to make a long story short.......she’s come around to the idea and I find myself trying to read and research all I can on the different models.
    I figure we’ll be looking for a 2014-2016 RT Limited ( want to keep the cost at $20k or less) as we like all the bells and whistles. My question is are there anything to stay away from on these models or is one better than the other? We’ll be riding 2 up most of the time. Is the semi auto tranny good for this or should I stay with a manual? Any other tips or info ya’ll think would be helpful before I make this purchase would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to everyone for any and all help on this.

Ok, now let the newly ragging begin!
    Last edited by JDJHNTR; 10-21-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you already got a Triglide, are you not happy with it. Many folks will tell you that bikes are like art, everyone has a different perspective. If you like your TriGlide enjoy it.
    Sounds like you're in the right price range for the year models you're looking for.
    I got a '13 with only 8k miles last year for $15k, I've been very happy with it and my wife is just as happy with riding 2 up. We've gone more miles together in the last year than in the previous 27 years of cycle ownership. Couldn't be happier.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I'm a relative newbie as well, but I am confident that I speak for all here that there is no need to by sorry.
    I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. While I can't speak for the RT Limited, I will say the Spyder has been an absolute blast and I think you and your wife are going to really enjoy it.
    Welcome aboard!
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the group! So sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but I'm glad you're still riding. Don't rule out an RT-S as it may have all the bells and whistles you need. The Limiteds seem to simply be more setup for wiring in lots of communication doodads. The SE6 is wonderful. I'd go for it over a manual since it only entails a light punch of your thumb to gear up, and absolutely nothing to gear down. If you're riding on a day when you're particularly fatigued, e.g., I think you'd be grateful for it. I think you and your wife would love an RT. And the "weird" look is something you'll quickly be proud of 'cuz it's not only making you more stable than your HD trike, but its uniqueness makes a great conversation starter wherever you go!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear...

About the diagnosis...do hope you outlive the predictions the spyder will help..look into square one....as to the change in vehicle your making a good choice. 14 on have been solid so don't worry and test ryde them both (RT, F3) to find which suits you best. For touring comfort and ease go with the RT for the cruiser feel it will be the F3 .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE

I am very, very sorry to hear about your diagnoses ... I will keep you in my prayers .... Any Spyder with the 1330 engine is your best bet ... the RT will make the wife much more comfortable ... I bought a new 2014 RT and am in love with it ... If you can find a 14 -15 RT with the Semi-auto trans you will be very happy with the Semi-auto ... it is flawless .... and if you can find a BASIC model you will save about $4,000 .... The basic has ALL the important things that matter , I have Mod-ed mine to a level Far beyond what the Limited offers and for about only $ 500.00 ...Yes 98% is DIY but not difficult to do ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I admire your strength! Good luck with your Spyder search and the battle you're facing.

Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    Welcome to the group! So sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but I'm glad you're still riding. Don't rule out an RT-S as it may have all the bells and whistles you need. The Limiteds seem to simply be more setup for wiring in lots of communication doodads. The SE6 is wonderful. I'd go for it over a manual since it only entails a light punch of your thumb to gear up, and absolutely nothing to gear down. If you're riding on a day when you're particularly fatigued, e.g., I think you'd be grateful for it. I think you and your wife would love an RT. And the "weird" look is something you'll quickly be proud of 'cuz it's not only making you more stable than your HD trike, but its uniqueness makes a great conversation starter wherever you go!
    Good advice about the Semi-Auto-- you will eliminate all muscular stress of pulling and holding in a clutch lever.

BUT, beware of the bolded line above: while the SE trans does downshift itself while slowing to a stop, it does NOT do a passing gear, like a car; you must manually downshift for that extra power needed for passing, or whatever. But it's very easy and quick to do.

I would also recommend a model with the full-function Cruise Control. It greatly relieves fatigue in your throttle hand.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Welcome.
    This is a great group!!
    My Harley partner was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 years ago and when he was concerned with holding us up - he helped me get my Spyder. Enjoy EVERY ride and every moment together. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jo

Spyder Garage

No need to apologize for being new. We just say

RT S or RT L is a very good way to go. I have had three. Two pre-1330. 2010, 2011, 2014. I still have the 11 and 14 so I have one of each engine configuration.

My recommendation: go 2014 or higher. The 1330 is improved (IMO) over the 998 engine. Quieter, about 10 mpg over the 998, and less maintenance cost. 9,500 between oil changes if you want--or once a year.

I liken the ride to a "sofa." Prior to buying my 2010 I did test the TriGlide. I did not like it quite as much.

And good news: your range 2014 and up...No issues or problems to worry about that apply to the model. I am thinking they got it right.

Let us know and don't forget--it did not happen until you post a picture.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-22-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RTL and the only significant thing that continues to bug both me and my wife (who also drives it) is the freewheeling that occurs when you slow down with the SE6 transmission. As the trike slows and downshifts it momentarily goes into a very short freewheeling mode and the trike seems to actually regain a bit of speed when you are anticipating it slowing. It isn't dangerous but it does require some patience getting used to it. Of course, you can manually select a lower gear but that sort of defeats the purpose of the "automatic".

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, JDJHNTR. Just out of interest, what sort of 2 wheel Harley were you two riding, and why are you not happy with the tri glide? That will let us give you some ideas on the closest Spyder match as a starting point.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I've ridden Harleys for 11 years. After my recent accident and ICU adventures my wife "strongly recommended" a Spyder. Spoke with some of my fellow old timers in my club who had Triglides and they all agreed that steering and cornering were issues, so a Spyder it was.

Been riding it for 3 months now and having a great time including a trip to Maggie Valley from Baltimore. The learning curve is steep for previous 2-wheelers but now it's great!
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I have a 2016 RTL and the only significant thing that continues to bug both me and my wife (who also drives it) is the freewheeling that occurs when you slow down with the SE6 transmission. As the trike slows and downshifts it momentarily goes into a very short freewheeling mode and the trike seems to actually regain a bit of speed when you are anticipating it slowing. It isn't dangerous but it does require some patience getting used to it. Of course, you can manually select a lower gear but that sort of defeats the purpose of the "automatic".
    On my 2015 RT-S SE6, I simply feel this as a gentle clunk as each downshift takes a fraction of a second to catch up with the freewheel. It's never given me the feeling of gaining speed. I only get a sensation of intermittent, strong engine-braking, the frequency of which depends on how quickly I'm trying to stop. I guess it's an individual thing for each machine and each rider.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I have a 2016 RTL and the only significant thing that continues to bug both me and my wife (who also drives it) is the freewheeling that occurs when you slow down with the SE6 transmission. ..... Of course, you can manually select a lower gear but that sort of defeats the purpose of the "automatic".
    It's NOT & I don't think BRP have ever said it is an "automatic"!

However, it IS a 'semi-automatic', which is a manual gearbox that is identical to the SM box except that it has been modified with an auto clutch & computer controlled electric solenoid shift capability to allow the SE to become a 'semi-automatic' & allow you to change up & down via the flappy paddles without needing to operate a clutch manually...

Oh, & it also has a 'fail-safe' option designed to 'protect any less skilled riders out there from their inability to match engine revs to road speeds in different gears', a feature that, when prompted by the computer, will intervene to select a lower gear IF the rider/operator has let things get too close to potentially engine/transmission damaging speeds/revs thru inattention or inability.

So the simple answer to that 'freewheel' thing is to use the manual gearbox with electric shift the way it was designed to be used & learn to shift up AND down via the flappy paddles as & when you desire in order to make your shifts either way as smooth as duck poo, and relying upon the fail-safe down-shift ONLY if you ever get things so drastically wrong that the computer has to step in to save your butt from potentially damaging anything - in which case 'smooth shifting' will not be of prior or even immediate concern!

You might be surprised at how much smoother your shifting can be when you do it at the right time/match engine revs to road speed in the appropriate gear; and btw, that surprise might also extend to how much better your fuel economy might become if you become skilled enough at getting those gear change things right with regard to revs, gear selection, & road speed instead of relying upon the 'save your arse' default/method of changes at last moment that the computer can resort to if you force it to!

Go Onnn, you know you can do it, the skills are almost all there if you press the + paddle already, just practise a bit using your LH pointer finger on the - paddle & listen/try to make your downshifts as smooth as your upshifts! Most get the hang of it fairly quickly, & if I was a betting man, I'd bet that you too can learn to do it well!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-22-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    On my 2015 RT-S SE6, I simply feel this as a gentle clunk as each downshift takes a fraction of a second to catch up with the freewheel. It's never given me the feeling of gaining speed. I only get a sensation of intermittent, strong engine-braking, the frequency of which depends on how quickly I'm trying to stop. I guess it's an individual thing for each machine and each rider.
    It might be a gentle clunk but it sure is loud. I used to criticize Hardley's for sounding like that.

And, I got used to the "freewheeling" immediately but the wifey is the one who was critical of it. I bought the SE6 because it would be easier for her to drive (she is a novice in the motorcycle world). If I were to drive it as my only cycle it would be a manual.

Spyder Garage

Default Fun never stops

When I had the two wheel bike I always shifted my inside foot to be off the peg a bit so that when I hit my foot, the peg was next and didn't go too much lower. That's how I always rode until last year. Peg scraping a lot. Then I got the Spyder. No more leaning.

A friend came over last week and saw the Spyder and just shook his head because it's not a motorcycle. I just got on and went down the driveway. I stopped at the mailbox to drop off a letter on our cul-de-sac and was pointed the wrong direction. So I said, try this, turned the wheels to the left, dumped the clutch, did a 180 with the back wheel sliding and the fronts just sitting there and then fired off down the road. I defy someone to do that on a Goldwing or a Harley trike. And no, I don't expect the back tire to last a long time! I miss the lean in the turns but NOBODY is keeping up with me in a sharp turn. The VP of Engineering at BRP and I chatted when we were in Valcourt and then he smiled, pointed his finger really close to my nose and said "you're the reason we have the nanny computer on the Spyder". Oh yes I am.

PS: The girl's not on the bike when I do crazy stuff. When she's on, I'm mister safety. With the last bike, she said. "one hour and I'm done". Now, it's however long I want to go.

GET THE SPYDER!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, JDJHNTR. Just out of interest, what sort of 2 wheel Harley were you two riding, and why are you not happy with the tri glide? That will let us give you some ideas on the closest Spyder match as a starting point.

Pete
    I started out on Streetglides and the last 5 have been Ultra Limiteds.
    I truely am a Harley guy at heart but me and the wife are trying to do more things together including a lot more traveling and seeing the country. We have a class A motorhome on our very near buy list and well, to be honest moving from a Harley to a Spyder would free up some more funds for traveling. I want to continue to ride until the good Lord calls me and the Spyder fits in with our plans nicely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am also sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I'm glad to hear you'll still be out there in the wind with us. I hope it will be so for a long, long time to come.

I think you can't go wrong with any of the RTs in the 2014-16 model years. Look for the mileage and price you'll feel comfortable with and then go for it.

And don't worry about asking questions here as you search and learn. We were all there at one time.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's NOT & I don't think BRP have ever said it is an "automatic"!

However, it IS a 'semi-automatic', which is a manual gearbox that is identical to the SM box except that it has been modified with an auto clutch & computer controlled electric solenoid shift capability to allow the SE to become a 'semi-automatic' & allow you to change up & down via the flappy paddles without needing to operate a clutch manually...

Oh, & it also has a 'fail-safe' option designed to 'protect any less skilled riders out there from their inability to match engine revs to road speeds in different gears', a feature that, when prompted by the computer, will intervene to select a lower gear IF the rider/operator has let things get too close to potentially engine/transmission damaging speeds/revs thru inattention or inability.

So the simple answer to that 'freewheel' thing is to use the manual gearbox with electric shift the way it was designed to be used & learn to shift up AND down via the flappy paddles as & when you desire in order to make your shifts either way as smooth as duck poo, and relying upon the fail-safe down-shift ONLY if you ever get things so drastically wrong that the computer has to step in to save your butt from potentially damaging anything - in which case 'smooth shifting' will not be of prior or even immediate concern!

You might be surprised at how much smoother your shifting can be when you do it at the right time/match engine revs to road speed in the appropriate gear; and btw, that surprise might also extend to how much better your fuel economy might become if you become skilled enough at getting those gear change things right with regard to revs, gear selection, & road speed instead of relying upon the 'save your arse' default/method of changes at last moment that the computer can resort to if you force it to!

Go Onnn, you know you can do it, the skills are almost all there if you press the + paddle already, just practise a bit using your LH pointer finger on the - paddle & listen/try to make your downshifts as smooth as your upshifts! Most get the hang of it fairly quickly, & if I was a betting man, I'd bet that you too can learn to do it well!
    Don't be too sure Peter, there are some people that would rather complain, than learn how to do it right! Nice to read such a clear concise description of how to ryde the Semi-Auto the right way!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Ok, first step taken today. Sold the HD Trike to make room for the Spyder!
    Now the hunt begins. Guess I’m still leaning towards the 2014-2016 RT Limited SE6.
    Looking for $20k to be the top of my limit on this one. Lower of course better.
    Again, looking for all the bells and whistles. If anyone here has advice towards a different model please let me hear from you. Like to be sure I buy the right one the first time.