Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailering my RT

Im considerinng buying a trailer to haul my RT to future rallys. Dont want to break the bank though. Even thought about renting a trailer since I'd only use it 2-3 times per year.

Thanks for the input.

Spyder Garage

For only 2-3 times a year, I'd rent. Just make sure your auto insurance covers rental trailers. Then you eliminate not only the expense to buy, but the issue of storage and upkeep, not to mention licensing cost. Then if you find your plan just doesn't work out, you're not out anything.... Think of it like a fine woman......renting is cheaper than owning.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I never could find one for rent wide enough to hold the Spyder. So I got a 6 x 10 utility trailer with a 4' bifold ramp. It works great, $1500. Now that we moved to San Antonio, my garage isn't big enough to hold 2 cars, the Spyder and the trailer. So I did have to store the trailer for $35/mo.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I rented a tilt trailer to bring my newly purchased RTL home (2,600 miles round trip) and learned several things:

Cost was about $250 for 3 days. I thought this was reasonable but rally use might require longer rental.

Trailer was heavy - about 2,000 lbs empty. Truck had a tough time towing through the Rocky Mountains.

I rented an optional spare tire but rental guys were surprised when I turned it in that they had allowed me to take it for such a long trip with "cheap tires" (meant for local rentals only although they were nearly new in appearance).

Even though it might be initially more expensive to buy a dedicated trailer for the Spyder if you will be going to several year's worth of rallies in the long run it would be cheaper (and you would have the trailer for other uses or to lend to the best of Spyder friends). There are ramped utility trailers that are relatively inexpensive and could serve other uses besides carrying the Spyder. I have a 14 foot I used to use for ATC's that now serves as an occasional Spyder hauler. I had only to buy several ramps so I could load the Spyder without grinding off the tupperware up front (even though the trailer had a built-in loading ramp it was a bit too steep for the Spyder).

Here in my state you do not have to insure a trailer and can buy a lifetime license plate very cheaply so about the only maintenance items you would have are bearing grease and tires every few years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jzb54 View Post
    Im considerinng buying a trailer to haul my RT to future rallys. Dont want to break the bank though. Even thought about renting a trailer since I'd only use it 2-3 times per year.

Thanks for the input.
    Was thinking of this trailer although pricey, but very very cool.

https://www.stingertrailer.com/

let me know what you think?

........." It's a Great Life if you don't weaken' ".........

"You don't stop having fun when you get old...
    you get old when you stop having fun"

" Remember, Aging is Mandatory...
    Maturing is Optional "
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    For only 2-3 times a year, I'd rent. Just make sure your auto insurance covers rental trailers. Then you eliminate not only the expense to buy, but the issue of storage and upkeep, not to mention licensing cost. Then if you find your plan just doesn't work out, you're not out anything.... Think of it like a fine woman......renting is cheaper than owning.
    Ya got a link to those rentable women?? Sure could use it
    Rich
    2017 Can Am Spyder RT S
    Champagne on Black

Farkle so far:
    Lamonster RAM 1" Mount
    RAM X Mount x 2
    TricLED RT Multi-Mount RAM 1" Dash Mount
    Show Chrome Full-Size Brake Pedal
    Canamspyderaccessories rear trunk organizer
    Canamspyderaccessories rear trunk LED
    Canamspyderaccessories frunk LED
    Canamspyderaccessories Champagne Key Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket with Dually Trident Black footpegs
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff
    Lamonster RAM mount self-leveling cup holder
    BajaRon Sway bar

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

I did the same and it does the job
    Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I never could find one for rent wide enough to hold the Spyder. So I got a 6 x 10 utility trailer with a 4' bifold ramp. It works great, $1500. Now that we moved to San Antonio, my garage isn't big enough to hold 2 cars, the Spyder and the trailer. So I did have to store the trailer for $35/mo.
    Loving the RYDE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STINGER TRAILER

Quote Originally Posted by OKey View Post

Welllllllllllll , you do realize it Doesn't have... ANY Suspension !!!!!! and yes, it's very, very pricey for what you get ........JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I found a boat trailer, a real trick to find one without a boat on it, but I did, an old Roadrunner. $300 took off the tilted boat stuff and added 3 2"x10"/12", then 2x10 ramps, works great not a lot of expense ($30 yr licence) .

20150428_084628_resized.jpgtow2.jpg

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I would not want too wide a trailer. I wonder if anyone pulls a Tractor Supply 5.5 foot trailer. I know six foot would work but 5.5 is cutting it close. They are not too expensive.

Spyder Garage

Default Tractor Supply

I rented a 6 X 10 aluminum utility trailer from Tractor supply for $39 per day. My RT fit perfectly.

Spyder Garage

Default Drop-tail

Hello,
    recommend you look at Drop-tail. Torque flex suspension and do not need ramps. Can fold upright if you are strong or have help. I just fold up rear and trike / trailer fir in one stall. Fit and finish could be better but I've had no problems

Spyder Garage

I was 1 day away from buying a stinger trailer. The factory is an hour from where I live so I went to have a look and was intrigued because I was hoping to store it in my garage.

The night before I was going to go and purchase the trailer I posted on a Facebook Spyder forum where we live, asking if anyone had any experience with the stinger trailer.

One of the forum members said that he bought one and stored it outside over the winter and it rusted badly. In the spring he towed his Spyder to an event and 3 of the bolts sheared off and left him stranded. He was fortunate that the company gave him his money back.

I'm not knocking the product, just thought I should relay what I heard.

On the same night I got lucky and a guy said that he'd sell me the trailer below for $1200.00. I went to see it and bought it. Downside is that it doesn't fit in the garage with the Spyder.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input.
    A simple aluminum utility trailer will work just fine, plus it can be used for most anything else. No need at all to go out and buy some "Spyder Trailer". I use a Rugged Terrain 6 x 10 with no problems at all. Cost of about $1500
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Razor trailer

I got the Razor trailer that drops to the ground for easy on off, no ramps. Tows great as well.IMG_5216.jpgIMG_5215.jpg
    razortrailers.com

Spyder Garage

Default Agree - we also own a Droptail trailer

Quote Originally Posted by 3-togo View Post
    Hello,
    recommend you look at Drop-tail. Torque flex suspension and do not need ramps. Can fold upright if you are strong or have help. I just fold up rear and trike / trailer fir in one stall. Fit and finish could be better but I've had no problems
    +1 on the Droptail trailer. We use our trailer a few times a year. Latest trip was to the Red Rock Rally in Utah from our home in Minnesota. If you get one, check your bearings for proper lubrication - ours were very "light" on the amount of grease. I replaced the inboard bearings and hand greased the wheel bearings - set to go another year!

Here's some info and pics on the trailer we use - good luck finding your trailer...there are a lot of good ones, but stay away from those that do NOT have a good suspension system.

From an earlier post of mine:

Get the dimensions and literature: http://www.droptailtrailers.com/

I use it for EITHER the Spyder or the Gold Wing. I must use the center position for the Gold Wing as it will not fit on the left or right side of the trailer due to length. We trailer our 2014 RT Limited with no problem with this trailer and it "noses" up in the V part of the trailer against our 20" stone guard (which is optional). The 4 pictures added at bottom were just a couple months ago....note that I do NOT transport with the cover on it. I only cover the Spyder when leaving it out overnight! Also, all the tie down straps were removed at this time as it was parked. It is a steel trailer that folds and has aluminum decking.

We use a Droptail trailer. I really like that it folds and stores upright in the garage and NO ramps needed - built in. Works well for the Spyder with the low clearance. The back of the trailer hydraulically lowers and the built in rear gate folds down to extend the ramp portion. Easy to use. Our Spyder RT just fits and the nose of the Spyder fits in the V part of the front of the trailer. Not a lot of spare room, but works well. The Spyder fills the whole trailer even though this is a "two up" motorcycle trailer. A bonus for us is that our Gold Wing can be hauled on this trailer (with the use of the wheel chock that is included with the trailer) as well - however, only one bike at a time (unless you have two - 2 wheel motorcycles that are "short" enough). There is a standard 8 inch stone guard and an optional 20" stone guard. I did add the 20" stone guard on our trailer. Also, we purchased an optional spare tire which bolts to the bottom of the trailer. It has a steel frame with an aluminum deck with lots of tie down points!

Here's some info on the model number and a few pics: Drop - Tail "Two - Up" Cruiser / Sport Bike Trailer, model number: 03-DCT2200-02

Good luck on your choice of trailers - there are a lot of good trailers out there that work!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Aluma TK1 Trailer

I have an Aluma TK1 trailer, which is build just for the Spyder. Also have a wheel choke for my two wheel bike. I paid $3,000 for trailer, spare and attachment, stabilizer legs, Condor wheel choke and it comes with a rock deflector and storage box. The trailer only weighs in at 850 lbs, so I can move it around very easily.

Spyder Garage

I too looked at the Stinger trailer - ended up with a 6x12 aluminum utility with a drop axle and a 5 ft folding ramp - approx. $3,200 and 850 pounds. Will be picking it up in a week or 2 and then gone to Texas for the winter!!!

Spyder Garage

We use a Triton Tilt snowmobile trailer. It serves for our quads also. AND storage of household stuff when not be used for toys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

I'd say that's a bargain in comparison to this one:

https://www.kendonusa.com/product/tr...cycle-trailer/

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    You were doing okay until the end there....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default trailer

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    I would not want too wide a trailer. I wonder if anyone pulls a Tractor Supply 5.5 foot trailer. I know six foot would work but 5.5 is cutting it close. They are not too expensive.
    A friend of mine bought the T.S. trailer 5 or 5.5 x10 for $1000 works great. Put 2 pieces of wood in front of ramp for front wheels to keep center from dragging

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    A friend of mine bought the T.S. trailer 5 or 5.5 x10 for $1000 works great. Put 2 pieces of wood in front of ramp for front wheels to keep center from dragging
    Thanks! Must be 5.5 because we're just over five foot. I just ordered a 5.5 x 12.

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

Just bought a 7.5' x 20' 2007 enclosed trailer for $2500.00 to haul my wife's 2014 RT limited I just got her, My M109 and my buddies Harley to Daytona bike week this year. I have a 6' x 12' enclosed bike trailer I hauled M109 in. But Spyder front fenders rubbed cables on ramp door loading and unloading and can not get 2 bikes in it. Will be trying it out this weekend taking bike and spyder to bike show at civic center this weekend. Will report back to let know how all went later.

Spyder Garage

Default Drop tail folding mc trailer

Thanks for the input.
    Have you checked out Droptail trailers in Texas ? Not perfectly made and not cheap but reasonable for what you get. I partially fold trailer and park spyder in front so only takes up one bay. Tracks well and has torque flex suspension. No ramps, easy to load. Look them up.