Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post 2015 RT Limited Parking Brake/switch Issue

For the last three to four weeks, I've had a few occasions where the parking brake wouldn't disengage once set. I would shut down, restart, ect. until it disengaged. The brake light would also occasionally illuminate while riding, but not engage. I brought the bike to the dealer and he couldn't find anything wrong (so he says) or replicate the issue. Anyway, on Friday I went for a ride, stopped for coffee and after restarting the bike, the brake wouldn't release. I shut it down, restarted it numerous times- nothing- wouldn't release. I called the dealer and he wanted me to unscrew the bolt in the brake hub (pull the parking brake cable) and ride it 25 miles to their shop. I refused- its under warranty and i have towing! Anyway, It's been there since Friday and they now tell me that they're waiting to hear from Can Am so they can order parts. Apparently, Can Am doesn't trust their dealers to diagnose and order parts that are under warranty???? They also said dealers can only communicate with Can Am via email - no phone contact! Has anyone had the same problem with the brake or for warranty repairs? Why do they need an okay from Can Am if they know what's wrong???? I would hate for this to happen again on a Sunday, after business hours or when I'm out of town.

Spyder Garage

Just about the same thing happened to me. Got it to the dealer after undoing the parking brake cable and the dealer could not replicate the problem. However, I obviously had multiple incidents of the parking brake not releasing and the dealer replaced the $17.00 parking brake switch. I have not had a problem since the replacement of the switch. If you search the forum, I believe you will find many folks who had to have the parking brake switch replaced.

I carry a spare switch in my tool bag. The switch appears to be a common Carling brand switch. At the shop where I work, we replace many of those Carling switches (in various configurations) on our ambulances. We have bags of them.

If your dealer can't figure it out, they might want to try a new switch.

Gunner
    Last edited by Gunner3773; 11-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake issue

Sounds like a BRP issue that they don't care to address. Once I get my 2015 RT Ltd (under warranty) back from the dealer, I'm getting rid of it. The dealer has it over a week and have not received permission to order the part from BRP (so they say). I cannot own or ride a bike that may lock up when I'm out late or out of town.

Spyder Garage

Marc, just typed the same reply below to you at the end of my thread --

"Give it a chance Marc, let the dealer fix the issue. Be a shame to rid yourself of a $20,000 + bike over a switch and module problem.

Took my dealer 2 weeks to fix mine and I've had no problem since."

Hope things work out for you.

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue. New switch fixed it.

While I was in limbo of getting it fixed, I learned how to disengage the parking brake just in case I was on the road.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black