Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension adjustments

My 2014 RT was vibrating quite bad at 3200 rpm 5th and 6th gear
    Felt like I was on a road with rain grooves at that rpm

was using Manual info on 1050N (236lbs) as a setting (Krikit?)

Found a thread with 2015 Technical Service Bulletin said BRP changed to 630N (141lbs)
    this is a huge change, but I tried it anyway
    Bike is way better, no vibrations, smoother, feels better, has to be better for the bearings

Here is my data, taking reading with old setting rear wheel ON and OFF ground

2014 CAN AM SPYDER RT
    236 LBS - \WHEEL ON GROUND
    TIRE
    ROTATION TEST 1 TEST 2 TEST 3 AVG DIFF
    260 260 260 260
    45° 260 260 260 260
    90° 260 260 260 260
    135° 270 280 260 270
    AVG 263
    236 LBS – WHEEL OFF GROUND
    TIRE
    ROTATION TEST 1 TEST 2 TEST 3
    220 240 240 233
    45° 220 240 240 233
    90° 230 240 220 230
    135° 230 240 240 237
    AVG 233 29
    150 LBS – WHEEL ON GROUND
    TIRE
    200 220 220 213
    45° 230 200 230 220
    90° 220 220 230 223
    135° 220 220 240 227
    AVG
    150 LBS – WHEEL OFF GROUND
    TIRE
    140 150 150 147
    45° 150 160 150 153
    90° 150 160 160 157
    135° 150 150 150 150
    AVG 152 69

looks like I can test ON the ground and only need to adjust when way off

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe the reason BRP specs say to set the tension with the wheel off the ground is consistency. As your data shows, when the bike is pushing down on the swing arm the tension is greater. Extrapolating between the the two extremes, wheel off ground hence the shock is fully extended, and wheel on ground hence the shock is compressed, you can see that if the wheel is off the ground the every time you check it you remove the variability of differing shock compression. Offsetting that is the fact that the tension setting is given in such a wide range, the primary criteria being min and max and acceptable vibration, that varying shock compression will have minimal real impact on the end result.

The reason the tension increases with the wheel on the ground is the center of rotation of the swing arm is behind the front drive pulley. As the swing arm moves up with respect to the bike frame the center to center distance of the two pulleys increases slightly.

Check the tension with the wheel on the ground. It's good enough and a whole lot easier! If you want to be as consistent as possible between checks never have any weight on the seat and let all the air out of the air shock. And to get really anal about it, make sure the gas tank is full every time!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Earlier this year, I put Doc's tensioner on my 2015 RT and it made a huge difference in the belt vibration. But I decided to adjust the belt on my RT down to 630N the other day using my sonic meter. That new adjustment, along with Doc's damper, has eliminated the belt vibration on my bike. I was astonished how smooth my bike ran on a 300 mile jaunt yesterday with the wife. I should have adjusted the belt down to 630N sooner.

Unfortunately, I will be putting the bikes away tomorrow for the season. Summers are way too short in MN!

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    Earlier this year, I put Doc's tensioner on my 2015 RT and it made a huge difference in the belt vibration. But I decided to adjust the belt on my RT down to 630N the other day using my sonic meter. That new adjustment, along with Doc's damper, has eliminated the belt vibration on my bike. I was astonished how smooth my bike ran on a 300 mile jaunt yesterday with the wife. I should have adjusted the belt down to 630N sooner.

Unfortunately, I will be putting the bikes away tomorrow for the season. Summers are way too short in MN!

Gunner
    Did you happen to, and/or could you, recheck the tension using the sonic meter, after letting Doc's damper contact the belt again? (I assume you set the tension to 630 holding the damper off the belt.) I have the same setup and the Gates meter, but just can't quite get the vibration gone completely. I'm still running on the high side of the old tension.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Did you happen to, and/or could you, recheck the tension using the sonic meter, after letting Doc's damper contact the belt again? (I assume you set the tension to 630 holding the damper off the belt.) I have the same setup and the Gates meter, but just can't quite get the vibration gone completely. I'm still running on the high side of the old tension.

If iyour on the high side of 236lbs ( wheel off ground). That is why you have heavy vibration
    go to 140-150 lbs and you should be way better

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Sent PM.

Gunner

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A Tensioner for our kit is a misnomer. We call it a Vibration Damper because it does not add tension (very little) to the belt. It is more like a finger put on a vibrating guitar string to stop the vibration. With the rear wheel off of the ground, there is probably very, very little tension, if any at all.

Spyder Garage

Default Belt

Rocky at Coyote powersports just showed me the technical bulletin about lowering the belt tension. The F3 models are destroying the front pulley like mad! If you have an F3, remove the cover and inspect the pulley. Any red dust is rust, and that means the pulley is going to fail. Replace. BRP thinks it is caused by belt being too tight. Watch it!
    We use Doc’s belt tensioner/ vibration device, and have seen too many BRP models fail and ruin belts. We did 2 this weekend.
    Last edited by cptjam; 10-22-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tension?

What should the tension be set to for a F3? I just assumed that it would be set correctly from the factory.

Thanks,
    Charlotte

Spyder Garage

Got mine down to an average of 650N the other day. What a difference!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I adjusted mine to 120 Kricket pounds = 540 neutons.
    Still going to do a New Sprocket in the Spring (Hopefully by then there will be a Bulletin and it will done for FREE like the 2015 frame support?)

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!