Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What about what you don't you like about the Spyder?

There are lots of threads on why you LIKE the Spyder, but how 'bout some of the things you don't like or wish they would change, within reason, whether it's doable or not.
    For me, in no particular order,
    1. At, or above highway speeds, the steering is really touchy and it takes alot of concentration. I'd much rather drive on slower, twisty and turny roads.
    2. I wish there was a way to somehow put the SE into neutral without having to come to a full stop.
    3. Mine has the black satin matte finish. It's a pain to keep clean and spot free
    4. I don't think the radio is as good as some people think.
    5. The belt vibrations were annoying, but I have since put the belt tensioner on and it is a great improvement.
    6. I'm starting to sound like a broken record talking to everyone who comes up and wants to talk about my Spyder. ( Ok...that one really isn't so bad. I enjoy people wanting to talk about it)
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would like the frunk on my F3T to be the size of the one that was on my RSS or RT.
    I would like the cut out for the drivers seat to be a little deeper in order to keep my "junk" off the tank. (I know I can get a custom seat)
    I would like more power (around 200 hp would be nice, like the V4 in the 2nd. gen. Vmax)
    With more power, I would also like to have a higher top end speed (around 160 would be nice).
    Better pick up on the radio stations.

Bring the RSS back with the rotex V-Twin that Erik Buel used in his later bikes. I think it was a 1198 and produced around 140 hp.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They could move the rear air pressure valve to the opposite side of the wheel (easier to put air in), put some better tires on it (Kendas suck), have it decently aligned when it is delivered (mine was off). They have addressed the dash on the 2018's, so we shall see how that goes. The belt vibration sucks, they came out with a cheap damper but not sure about that on a long trip. Overall a great machine, took it cross country in August and it did a great job.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 10-21-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The belt vibration sucks, they came out with a cheap damper but not sure about that on a long trip.
    Why not? What would that have to do with a long trip?
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    Why not? What would that have to do with a long trip?
    The can am vibration dampers have had a lot of failures.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say....

Don't have any complaints or things to change that I can't do or have done myself. Would be nice if the manufacturer could custom build each unit to our liking but we know that is impossible. They have to make them middle of the road and hope they please as many ryders as they can. As you can see from the home page this gives our sponsor vendors things to make and fill the gaps and make a living. Nevertheless it is interesting to see what folks find lacking on these machines...

Foot note: I ride an RS bare bones no extras so little to complain about. The more you expect the more that can be or go wrong.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The only complaint I have is there's yet to be an aftermarket Ski / Track conversion so I can ride it in the winter!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

the main 2 things that I see lacking on my old 2012 rts is the absence of adjustable rider footing, such as the F3 has, and shaft drive. other than that it is a pretty nice machine. as soon as I can get a RDL seat this winter it'll be a whole lot nicer.

Spyder Garage

1 I wished there parts wasn't made of gold and the cost at the dealership
    2 Have people at the dealership trained to work on the bikes and timely manner
    3 Better tech support
    4 The cost and cost to replace the power steering unit.
    5 A affordable software to help people who likes to do their own repairs
    6 Computer too complicated with too many bells
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 10-21-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default How about this....

977081b8238edd4f94657f4a0f33db24--snow-fun-the-snow.jpg Last I saw this the kit was around $4000.00

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    The only complaint I have is there's yet to be an aftermarket Ski / Track conversion so I can ride it in the winter!
    Last edited by Chupaca; 10-21-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The way BRP tries to idiot proof everything they build with computer restrictions.

Like stated above, BUDS makes it difficult for people to work on their own bike. That was the main reason I sold my XMR1000. If it wasn't for my wife wanting a Spyder so bad, I would have never bought another BRP product. BMW is the same way with their proprietary software. At least with their cars anyway. I'm not sure about their bikes. I owned one BMW, a 530. It had an idiot light for everything (oil change, brake service, air filter, etc) and only the dealer could rest them at $150 a pop. Dash looked like a christmas tree until just before I sold it. Paid to have them turned off once and I'll never buy another one because of it!!!
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

Default fuel

The fuel filler design on the F3 is the worst I have ever seen. I either have to lose a gallon and a half, or hold the elephant snout back and because the valves on the pumps are so coarse, I always wind up spilling gas on the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default We've all heard these before

- I don't like that they cancelled the "Sports" line; guess more Spyder owners are taking the slow and comfy route. The RS / RSS / ST needs to come back, with more power.
    - So difficult to do maintenance. You need tiny hands and every panel needs to come off for even basic stuff. Replace body fairing torx bolts with easy off Dzus or push pin fasteners, like most other bikes, for quicker access/maintenance.
    - Hate checking the air in the rear tire. Move the air valve on the rear wheel to the exhaust side for easier access.
    - Get rid of the Harleyesque markup for "branded" items; especially ones that are obviously made by known apparel and luggage makers.
    - Work on making the dealer / service network more widely distributed and more knowledgeable.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I really do not have any complaints. Have now owned five of them. Had a 08 (the first one sold in AK), 09, 10, 11 & 14. Almost 140,000 combined miles.

They were pretty good from the get go and have made minor improvements over the succeeding years.

What don't I like? Still thinking about that.

I have asked for a bigger engine--as in GW power--but that don't look like it will happen anytime soon.

At the moment, content with what I have.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-21-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What don't I like:

That I'm still waiting for mine to be built!
    (Haven't ridden since June 27th... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Just curious

There are lots of threads on why you LIKE the Spyder, but how 'bout some of the things you don't like or wish they would change, within reason, whether it's doable or not.
    For me, in no particular order,
    1. At, or above highway speeds, the steering is really touchy and it takes alot of concentration. I'd much rather drive on slower, twisty and turny roads.
    I am making a final decision on a Spyder Monday and have two questions.
    1. Have you added an aftermarket sway bar?
    2. Have you gotten a laser alignment?

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    The fuel filler design on the F3 is the worst I have ever seen. I either have to lose a gallon and a half, or hold the elephant snout back and because the valves on the pumps are so coarse, I always wind up spilling gas on the bike.
    Amen to that!

Other than that, there's not much that I don't like, except the price (both purchase and maintenance) ... and I'm still looking for a custom seat and/or cushion that better fits my decrepit body. I'm slowly getting there, though!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I'm assuming there must be a lot of folks here that do not do their own maintenance since no one has mentioned the PITA oil change on the 1330. Getting the oil filter out, all the o-rings, drain plugs on both sides of the bike, etc. I used to complain about the oil change on my M109R... never again! It is super easy compared to the Spyder!

is it even possible to make something as simple as an oil change any more difficult? Why would you put the filter on top of the motor, attach a long rod on the cap of an internal filter, put several other parts around it, then cover it with plastic body work?
    Last edited by Poseidon; 10-21-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

Default dampner

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The can am vibration dampers have had a lot of failures.
    really ? everyone I know has excellent luck with them

Spyder Garage

Default My issues with the Spyder

Here is my wish list and I am sure as time goes on my list with grow

1 The seat could be more comfortable on a $35000 machine
    2 The SE6 should have a neutral option when coasting down hills
    3 Original replacement parts and accessories are grossly overpriced
    4 BRP should offer bottles of touch up paint to match your Spyder
    5 A handbrake option should be available
    6 The delayed startup on my 2014 should have an option to change it to instant start
    7 The nanny should have an on/off option
    8 A belt tensioner should be a installed from the factory considering the belt length
    9 USB outlets should be upfront on the dash
    10 The front suspension should also have air adjustable height for driving on gravel roads
    11 Lots of chrome accessories avaiable but when you have an RTS the black powder coated accessories are limited

Richard Budden
    Newfoundland, Canada

IMG_20160515_1128039.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I am making a final decision on a Spyder Monday and have two questions.
    1. Have you added an aftermarket sway bar?
    2. Have you gotten a laser alignment?

Thanks.
    Not yet. I only have <2000 miles on it and I'm not sure if I just need to get use to it stock or decide if the extra money spent for the sway bar and laser alignment is really worth it
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

(Not necessarily in priority order) - 2016 RTL SE6:

1. Too many unneeded bells and whistles (do we really need a digital AND analog speedometer?).
    2. Switches need better separation (get that damn horn button away from the turn signal & put reverse button on right side).
    3. RT seat not deep enough (tired of riding the glove box).
    4. TWITCHY steering no matter how loose you hold the bars.
    5. Brake placement could be better (why do I have to life my foot to brake?). Safety issue!
    6. Why do I have to brake to shift into first gear? Engine revs would work as well.
    7. Fix the brake fluid sensor - fluid level way too sensitive (a teaspoon? REALLY?).
    8. Put factory drive belt guard on bike. A $30K machine should be able to be driven on gravel/unpaved roads.
    9. OEM tires need to be much better.
    10. Improved anti-sway bar.
    11. Replace parking brake motor with manual cable.
    12. Would much prefer frunk and seat latch lock/unlock be manual switch not connected to ignition key. Too easy to break key.
    13. Fix windshield brackets so they don't crack/break when windshield lowered completely.
    14. AND THE BIGGIE - Make dealer common maintenance MUCH less expensive. A $300-$500 new vehicle checkup is criminal.

I haven't yet needed to take the tupperware off this beast or I might have another dozen maintenance-related issues. From reading other's posts and manual the maintenance is too difficult.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    really ? everyone I know has excellent luck with them

My BRP V damper is starting to squeak after 800 miles

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I continue to see people complain about having to lift their foot to brake. . But I have owned over 25 cars, and I had to lift my foot to mash the brakes on all of them. . Is braking really that hard for some?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not yet. I only have <2000 miles on it and I'm not sure if I just need to get use to it stock or decide if the extra money spent for the sway bar and laser alignment is really worth it
    FWIW -- I had both done to my 2016 F3T at about 2500 miles, and can say that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they were both worth it.
    Bert