Spyder Garage

Default Numbers on RT Drive Belt

I am replacing the drive belt on my 2014 RTL (*****ROCK) and am replacing the rear tire at the same time (with a real tire). The part number for the new belt is the same as the old belt (705501304). However, each belt has a series of numbers after the part number and those numbers are not the same. The old belt has 17C4072 350 followed by 17C4073 350 and 17C4074 350 with the 7th digit getting progressively higher until it gets to 77. The new belt has the same type of number progression except the numbers are 16U7112 375 followed by 16U7113 375 and so on.....

Does anyone know what these numbers are? Is it important? Just want to make sure I have absolutely the correct belt before the wrenching starts.

thanks
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I am replacing the drive belt on my 2014 RTL (*****ROCK) and am replacing the rear tire at the same time (with a real tire). The part number for the new belt is the same as the old belt (705501304). However, each belt has a series of numbers after the part number and those numbers are not the same. The old belt has 17C4072 350 followed by 17C4073 350 and 17C4074 350 with the 7th digit getting progressively higher until it gets to 77. The new belt has the same type of number progression except the numbers are 16U7112 375 followed by 16U7113 375 and so on.....

Does anyone know what these numbers are? Is it important? Just want to make sure I have absolutely the correct belt before the wrenching starts.
    I'm going to guess those are the manufacturer's lot numbers representing a particular production run. It' easier to just add a number to the belt imprinting machine than to change the number. You see that same sort of thing in books where the press run number is simply added and not changed. When they finally have run out of belt space for another number then they'll restart the sequence. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it until someone shows me I'm full of !

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I don't know about Can Am, but there are several motorcycle manufacturers that use a model year code in the part number. The part is the same year to year, but the code just denotes what model year that part is from.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default correct belt number

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post

thanks
    Hi, I use PROCALIBER.COM for parts and their locating system can do this ... After you register ( for FREE ) enter the part number you want ...then THEY will tell you ALL the Spyders that number will work for, because even tho the numbers may be different the Part is EXACTLY the same ........ hope this helps ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

they are maunfacturing numbers and they would be the ones to tell you what they mean. Your main concern is the part# and the models they fit. If I'm not mistaken they are the same for all except the F3. May be in the other countries where spyders have differenct sprocket sizes they also have different belts. Seeing as we have the longest belt in the industry I don't think there are any other manufacturer making them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black