Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Cargo stability problem solved!

Chupaca, I got to thinking about your recent suggestion on my "I stumped BRP" thread where I discussed needing a high horizontal tie-in to vertically secure my passenger seat cargo. You suggested a luggage rack. I said it'd just be in the way, but when I mentioned this to the guys at River Raisin Powersports, they showed me the Rivco adjustable rack (https://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-mo...spyder-rt.html). Bingo. Nice and compact. My husband and I took about half an hour to install it, and today I tested a load of small bags. What a difference. No more suddenly finding myself with a backrest that's slowly folding me into the crotchrocket position! I threw in the 3rd pic just to show the rack fully extended. Thanks, Chupaca.

IMG_6646.jpg6639.jpg6654.jpg

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome...!!

Glad you found the right one and the guys at River Raisin Powersports took care of you and you solved your issue. And it looks quite nice on the spyder...should make life easier for you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Excellent fix for something I've been wondering about as well. I wanted to bring home 40lb softener salt myself and couldn't find a safe way to strap them to the bike.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see you and I think somewhat alike! The Spyder is to be USED, not JUST ridden for fun!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I carried 40 lb bags of dog food on the passenger seat strapped to the passenger hand rails with no problem whatsoever. I would add that my satisfaction would be short lived at the first refueling stop. That said, the Rivco rack is a very nice looking farkle and will be on my short list if I become interested in a cargo rack.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Rivco horizontal rack

I've had the Rivco rack ( in the SAFETY CHROME VERSION ) since they first came out because it allows the use of the high mount brake light as compared to the other rack available for the RT. It has been VERY useful for carrying two rain suits and half cover ( bulky but light weight stuff).

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does yours have the rubber bumper on the underside of the front piece? It's mentioned in the literature with mine, but it's not on the rack. I called Rivco as we were about to install, but they never called back, so we put our own super sticky backed piece of rubber on there. Once the rack is bolted in place, only the sides are in contact, with the top plate having a good eighth inch clearance, so we figure they changed their template to allow the rack to sit a bit higher??

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I see you and I think somewhat alike! The Spyder is to be USED, not JUST ridden for fun!
    Absolutely! Why drive the F250 when you can go to 4x the trouble and make your Spyder impersonate it!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looking at another option, The Seal Rear Tote rack can be installed OR removed in less than 30 seconds and you don't need to drill any holes in your tupperware. Check it out on my website.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Looking at another option, The Seal Rear Tote rack can be installed OR removed in less than 30 seconds and you don't need to drill any holes in your tupperware. Check it out on my website.
    I saw this rack at the Red Rock rally and it is very nice looking and very secure,leaving no marks when removed. If I didn't already have holes drilled in my trunk lid I would go this route.

For those of you talking about 40lbs bags of salt etc. remember that the load limit in the trunk is only 20lbs and that would include anything you put on the lid.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 10-23-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    Look at
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1053457

Eddieshep999 mounted a Eye Plate behind the seat. One could then use this as a securing point instead of a rack. The difference would be using the rack would be a rear and high point where the Eye Plate would be a rear and low point. The Eye Plate with a strap around the cargo would keep the stack from moving forward when braking.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GREAT job of sorting it all out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I saw this rack at the Red Rock rally and it is very nice looking and very secure,leaving no marks when removed. If I didn't already have holes drilled in my trunk lid I would go this route.

For those of you talking about 40lbs bags of salt etc. remember that the load limit in the trunk is only 20lbs and that would include anything you put on the lid.
    I'm wondering if the 20 lb. limit is because most rear racks require you to drill holes which might weaken the tupperware trunk lid. Don't know, just sayin'.

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering if the 20 lb. limit is because most rear racks require you to drill holes which might weaken the tupperware trunk lid. Don't know, just sayin'.
    The 20lb weight is for the trunk in general ,rack or no rack. My point was that 20 lbs is 20 lbs whether you have it mounted on the lid or in the trunk.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default rivco adj rack

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    Chupaca, I got to thinking about your recent suggestion on my "I stumped BRP" thread where I discussed needing a high horizontal tie-in to vertically secure my passenger seat cargo. You suggested a luggage rack. I said it'd just be in the way, but when I mentioned this to the guys at River Raisin Powersports, they showed me the Rivco adjustable rack (https://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-mo...spyder-rt.html). Bingo. Nice and compact. My husband and I took about half an hour to install it, and today I tested a load of small bags. What a difference. No more suddenly finding myself with a backrest that's slowly folding me into the crotchrocket position! I threw in the 3rd pic just to show the rack fully extended. Thanks, Chupaca.

IMG_6646.jpg6639.jpg6654.jpg
    Yep thats what I bought. I love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Look at
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1053457

Eddieshep999 mounted a Eye Plate behind the seat. One could then use this as a securing point instead of a rack. The difference would be using the rack would be a rear and high point where the Eye Plate would be a rear and low point. The Eye Plate with a strap around the cargo would keep the stack from moving forward when braking.
    Thanks for showing this. Eddie came up with a very clever solution to his problem, and I love that it's out of sight, but it's way too low for my needs.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The holes for the rack I bought are on the sides, and the plastic there is doubly thick and surprisingly hard to drill through. Plus, Rivco provides a metal stabilizer plate for each side which goes inside the trunk and sandwiches between the plastic and the nuts. Makes for a pretty solid base of support.

I suspect that the weight restrictions for all four trunks are because the plastic is prone to cracking, probably anywhere and everywhere.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

Post Cargo stability problem persists ...

I too have installed the Rivco trunk mount. LOVE IT!

As you can see in the picture, we have utilized a Nelson-Rigg bag on top as our day pack. It holds our cameras, purse, selfie-stick and several other items needed during trips. Unfortunately, at times the 20 lbs. limit *may* be exceeded, but even when observing the weight restrictions, we're seeing the trunk top settle down, crushing the weather seal around the edges.

When I had my Goldwind, I was able to solve this same problem with an add-on "Trunk Support". There are a couple models available, but either model seemed like it would work to solve the problem. Here is an example of one of the supports: http://wingriderproducts.com/index.html

I've been contemplating purchasing another to try to modify to fit our RT, but I thought it best to run it by the forum and get the groups weigh-in before I dropped $60.

Not sure others have had the same issue, or what you've done about it, but I at least wanted to ask ..

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trunk supports that worked for your Goldwing look like a great idea. If you think that your BRP dealer's mechanics have a good understanding of Spyder innards, maybe they could check out your setup and show you where the weakest and strongest areas of that trunk are before you install anything. You may also want to start a new thread to pose your question so more folks will notice. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MVerBerkmoes View Post
    I too have installed the Rivco trunk mount. LOVE IT!

As you can see in the picture, we have utilized a Nelson-Rigg bag on top as our day pack. It holds our cameras, purse, selfie-stick and several other items needed during trips. Unfortunately, at times the 20 lbs. limit *may* be exceeded, but even when observing the weight restrictions, we're seeing the trunk top settle down, crushing the weather seal around the edges.
    You're not putting 20 lbs on the rack are you? If so you are hitting the load limit of the entire trunk unit. My thinking is you probably shouldn't have more than about 5 to 7 pounds on the rack. I have the Rivco rack but only carried my Guardian full cover on it and did not notice any squishing of the the gasket.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually, Rivco's online ad (see my link in post #1) and their printed materials that come with the bracket state that the load limit is 12 pounds. The only 20 pound mention for the rack that I've seen was on youtube. So, regardless of what the trunk's limit is, the bracket itself isn't made for that kind of weight. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 11-07-2017 at 06:40 PM.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The 20lb weight is for the trunk in general ,rack or no rack. My point was that 20 lbs is 20 lbs whether you have it mounted on the lid or in the trunk.
    I'm guessing it has to do with the way the trunk is constructed and attached to the bike's frame. That, and the fact that more than 20# that high up will really mess with center of gravity!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm guessing it has to do with the way the trunk is constructed and attached to the bike's frame. That, and the fact that more than 20# that high up will really mess with center of gravity!
    It really isn't connected to the frame. The best I can discern from the service manual and parts diagrams all three of the rear luggage pieces hang off an H shaped FRP piece that sits on top of the frame. The entire rear cargo module is connected to the frame with 4 bolts. The bottom edge of the trunk is fastened to the rear edge of the H piece so in effect the entire trunk weight is supported behind it's mounts. It's cantilevered off the back end of the frame making it more vulnerable to up and down bouncing forces. Of course there are other plastic pieces fastened behind and on the sides but I wouldn't call any of them structural supports.

2014 Copper RTS