Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Roll call: Younger riders or riders with no health issues?

It seems that the majority of Spyder-ers are relatively older or they have medical issues that makes it difficult to ride two wheels or they are just simply apprehensive on two wheels. I was wondering how many of you have a Spyder "just because".
    Me? I'm 49 and, thankfully, fully capable of riding two wheels. However, I chose a Spyder not only because of the safety features and the stability, but simply because it is different. Unless there is something out there that is really unique, everything else is just cookie cutter. Sure, there are different models of Harleys, cruisers and sport bikes, but for the most part, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Most people don't take a second look at most bikes. With the Spyder, sooo many people check it out
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I got my RS as a demo and just kept it......67k miles

Thinking of getting an RT though so I can go meet Uncle Bob

Spyder Garage

Well that's just mean.... you must have missed how many have both regardless of age and physical condition. We do have quite a few young'uns out there and at 49 you're no spring chicken... hope they all chime in and confirm the Spyder is for all ages, I got mine before my condition changed because it was different and would not go back even back then....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:22 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You're not alone...

I'm 45, and have been riding two wheels since 2002. In that time I've been through five bikes: three BMWs, one Yamaha, and one Suzuki, and I don't have any health issues. My decision to "go Spyder" involved:
    - It's different and, more importantly, a beautiful machine (my opinion)
    - Safety
    - Technology (sensors, all the goodies i.e. radio, cruise, heated grips, adjustable suspension, eco mode, adjustable fairing)
    - Comfort of my better half when riding pillion
    - Storage space
    - Visibility
    - Reverse!

I had several two-wheelers try to talk me out of riding on three. Really it came down to perception, i.e. "you're too young" or "they're not as fun". It helps that I don't really care what others think. I liked the Spyder, my wife liked it, and I could / can afford it. Done!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Moved Post title... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sit back down, whippersnapper! I'm not quite 10yrs older and have no health problems. We have ours for lazy days and touring with luggage. Now get off mah lawn!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I'm so old and feeble that my back goes out more than I do.

p.s. I love my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Just turned 50 and loving my Spyder.

DavidC

Gonna live to be 100 or die trying
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    you must have missed how many have both reguardless of age and physical condition. We do have quite a few young'ins out there and at 49 your no spring chicken... hope they all chime in and confirm the spyder is for all ages, I got mine before my condition changed because it was different and would not go back even back then....
    I meant no insult or disrespect to the "older" riders or ones who may not be able to ride two wheels for whatever reason and I apologize if you took it that way. I was just asking how many of you folks chose the Spyder not because of age/physical "restrictions" (note the "). At 49, I certainly am no spring chicken, but I am also not one who meets the demographics of your "average" Spyder owner
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Sit back down, whippersnapper! I'm not quite 10yrs older and have no health problems. We have ours for lazy days and touring with luggage. Now get off mah lawn!
    Meh. Grumble grumble. Who the hell cares?!?!
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm 60 and ride both.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel young so no more age questions , I can still ride all day and stop every rest stop, gas stations and restaurants for bathroom discharge..
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

57, no health problems. Rode 2 wheeler on the road since I was 16 and got my license but test rode the Spyder and fell in love with all of the safety features. Wife fell in love with the ride.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

70 and loving life.....

i did an un-0FFICIAL survey a few years back on the average age of a SPYD3R rider.... back then i came up with 60 - 65 yrs of age.... this may be different today since many of us are now older, and lots more younger people have jumped on board with the SPYD3R....

these are AWESOME machines, and my only wish is, that these were available when i was a kid....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm 48, this is the second season with the spyder. Been riding for over 30 years, no health issues.... just love the spyder.

P.S. wife does too, and that's a huge help.......just saying

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Been a 2 wheel rider most of my adult life. For my 4th mid-life-crisis, I bought myself a BMW Z4 roadster. It was a lot of fun but very expensive to keep. I toyed with the idea of other drop-top roadsters but nothing seemed just right. I finally stumbled upon the idea of having a Can Am "roadster". It's a good fit for me. Love long trips or just cruising around town. Getting the air flowing between my ears make me smile. No health issues and I still have a Goldwing. And, I am 70 years young.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    It seems that the majority of Spyder-ers are relatively older or they have medical issues that makes it difficult to ride two wheels or they are just simply apprehensive on two wheels. I was wondering how many of you have a Spyder "just because".
    Me? I'm 49 and, thankfully, fully capable of riding two wheels. However, I chose a Spyder not only because of the safety features and the stability, but simply because it is different. Unless there is something out there that is really unique, everything else is just cookie cutter. Sure, there are different models of Harleys, cruisers and sport bikes, but for the most part, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Most people don't take a second look at most bikes. With the Spyder, sooo many people check it out
    thats why i have had honda, yamaha, and vic before the rt. a lot of friends
    have harleys. we dont ride with them . i like my hearing.there are also no bikes
    out there as comfortable as the spyder. been riding since '76.
    Last edited by irvin48; 10-20-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Was too busy raising kids now at 49 there on there own and we wanted comfort and different. Got both in my RT. got 4k on it this year but looking to do more miles and mods.

Spyder Garage

Here is my story...

Been riding since 1966. Had at least three of all the "riceburners." Over fifty bikes in all (including 's 's). I still have three bikes--2 's, and one Vulcan.

For a while, it was Spyder only. After my hip surgery I had to have another 2 wheeler.

I am going on 72, and riding is still one of my passions.

...And I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-20-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On a GOOD day: I act like I'm 9...
    On a BAD day: I feel like I'm 90...

Since that averages out to 49.5: I figure that I'm doing okay!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm old - been riding two wheels sine 1972, now own a Moto Guzzi Calfiornia and I also have 2012 RT Ltd due to health - an interesting change of riding experience for 85 years!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I'm 27, next year I'll be 37, then 47 yada yada..... also mildly dyslexic. After nearly 15 years of no two-wheeling, I decided to give it another go. I bought a Sportster "Superlow" bike that in my younger years I would have considered a toy. I have lots of miles on baggers and Buells so I thought it would be fine. NOT SO! I transitioned to the F3 and now I no longer find excuses not to ride but rather look for opportunities to ride. All in all, a great decision.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Colour...
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 57 Years old

Got my first Spyder when I was 51 (now 57), and while not a lot of experience on two wheelers. I bought the Spyder because my wife would/will ryde with me. She refuses to on a two wheeler. No health related reason for ryding the Spyder.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Not at all....

Question has been asked a few times and surveys have been taken...Just having fun with it...Only got 20 years give or take on you..... that is old.... but we have many young ryders that i can keep up with and many older but ryde their own ryde..When I can't keep up I will back off....

I meant no insult or disrespect to the "older" riders or ones who may not be able to ride two wheels for whatever reason and I apologize if you took it that way. I was just asking how many of you folks chose the Spyder not because of age/physical "restrictions" (note the "). At 49, I certainly am no spring chicken, but I am also not one who meets the demographics of your "average" Spyder owner
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

48 years young here. I've been in the saddle for 33 years and have owned >60 bikes. I started on a 185cc Honda Twinstar still have five "real" bikes in the garage. I purchased the Spyder as the wife isn't keen on the kids riding with me on two wheels. Spyders were a good compromise as I didn't want a convertible and they do have a lot of safety nets in place. Very temporary moments of loss of traction are now not quite as big of a deal when compared to a two wheeler with a kid on the back; and they don't fall over if you lose your footing.

After owning my RT during the last three weeks and logging over 2,000 miles on it, I (and my kids) like it for what it is. And mom approves.

Spyder Garage

2015 F3 SE6