Thread: 2011 RT battery

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT battery

Just purchased my 2011 manual RT. I want to be prepared to replace the battery. Could someone please tell me the specific battery, make, model, etc. that is required. Thanks.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Diaz. On the acquisition.

where are you in Ohio, I am in Canton, if that is of any benefit.

Actually I was going to ask the similar question, but I would prefer to get some input on the best or better battery for my 2013.

Thanks for asking, this just demonstrates that if you have a question, ask it there is most likely another that needs to know.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Page 158 of the 2011 owner's manual has the specs for the battery. Call a Can Am Dealer and get the Yuasa model number for the best replacement.

For the 2013, from pg 166 of your owners manual Yuasa YTX24HL-BS.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If all else fails look at the the battery that is in there now. It will have a brand and model number.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yup, I understand that, the manual, the current model, but are there not better battery options now than five years ago?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I buy all my batteries from Batteries+. They sell the complete line of Duracel, including car and cycle batteries.

Never had a problem.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Welcome to the forum Diaz. On the acquisition.

where are you in Ohio, I am in Canton, if that is of any benefit.

Actually I was going to ask the similar question, but I would prefer to get some input on the best or better battery for my 2013.

Thanks for asking, this just demonstrates that if you have a question, ask it there is most likely another that needs to know.

Joe
    Hey Joe, we're neighbors! Deerfield. But I'm in Daytona, Florida this month. I was hoping to get the specifics of the battery from someone who would recommend one. Which battery fits best, how long it lasts, etc. As for looking at the one that is installed now that's what I'm trying to avoid. You have to remove all the side panels on the right to get a look at it. When this thing goes belly up I want to be able to go get the exact one I need without delay. Thanks Buckeye Bleau.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    Hey Joe, we're neighbors! Deerfield. But I'm in Daytona, Florida this month. I was hoping to get the specifics of the battery from someone who would recommend one. Which battery fits best, how long it lasts, etc. As for looking at the one that is installed now that's what I'm trying to avoid. You have to remove all the side panels on the right to get a look at it. When this thing goes belly up I want to be able to go get the exact one I need without delay. Thanks Buckeye Bleau.
    You can see the battery by removing the panel under the seat if you take your time. That being said, removing a couple of panels is no big thing if you are going to do any work on an RT. What I’m saying is get used to it. As far as batteries I replaced the one in our RT with one from Batteries Plus.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Batteries plus sells a ultra cyl 1ooo7 black case that works in a 2011 RT. If you order it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Batteries plus sells a ultra atm battery number cyl 1ooo7 black case that works in a 2011 RT. If you order it on line you can get 10% off. But they have others that work in rt's also. Maybe if there is a store in the area you can stop by and check to see what they have

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ps congrats on the new ride. We have the same 2011 RT love it. Happy trails

Spyder Garage

Default Not really....

I have not seen a better battery than the OEM. (Yuasa) I have worked with bike all my life and have gone through all the new batteries that came along and found you get what you paid for. Granted they always come out with new ones that profess to be lighter, smaller, longer lasting etc. Do you really need to save the weight..? you will have to modify the battery compartment to fit the smaller units and most other brands do not consider the high usage these machines have with the DPS and cranking the big twins. It is human nature not to admit failures so most that have tried other batteries and have not had a good experience don't come back to tell us. Those that have do but I have not seen many.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I have had the dealer install new OEM batteries as they were needed. Usually I get them on the fourth year of ownership. Have had at least three replacement and the fourth will be next season on my 2014.

Never had a OEM battery fail. But I feel that beyond three years is pushing things a bit. They all go on battery tender jr's when I park them for the season.

Good luck with your decision.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERIES

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have not seen a better battery than the OEM. (Yuasa) I have worked with bike all my life and have gone through all the new batteries that came along and found you get what you paid for. Granted they always come out with new ones that profess to be lighter, smaller, longer lasting etc. Do you really need to save the weight..? you will have to modify the battery compartment to fit the smaller units and most other brands do not consider the high usage these machines have with the DPS and cranking the big twins. It is human nature not to admit failures so most that have tried other batteries and have not had a good experience don't come back to tell us. Those that have do but I have not seen many.....
    .......I did consider the new Lithium - Ion battery .... but $80.00 more than a Yuasa doesn't make financial sense ........ imho Yuasa makes the best Mtc. batteries out there .........Mike ....... PS my mechanic ( & best friend ) had a Yuasa in his 2002 GoldWing for ..........10 years and then sold the bike .... It was still putting out the Full charge .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-20-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got a Duracell battery for our Spyder this summer. No problems so far.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Yup, I understand that, the manual, the current model, but are there not better battery options now than five years ago?

Joe
    Not really. For the money Yuasa batteries are the one factory original item on the Spyder that's pretty hard to improve upon when you consider quality vs $$. All batteries will fail prematurely if they're aren't properly cared for, and all will last a long time when properly cared for. How well your battery holds up is much more dependent on you and how you treat it than on what brand it is. Honda uses Yuasa batteries in their power sport vehicles.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default motocross batteries

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not really. For the money Yuasa batteries are the one factory original item on the Spyder that's pretty hard to improve upon when you consider quality vs $$. All batteries will fail prematurely if they're aren't properly cared for, and all will last a long time when properly cared for. How well your battery holds up is much more dependent on you and how you treat it than on what brand it is. Honda uses Yuasa batteries in their power sport vehicles.
    Motocross batteries:
    Believe it or not, Motocross is manufactured in the same factory, the same assembly process, at the same time as the Yuasa. The only difference is the label applied at the end of the manufacturing process. Motocross came about as a way for Yuasa to enter the ever growing aftermarket, without disrupting their already established brick and mortar new bike dealerships. This allows them access to a much broader market share, at a much more reasonable price point.

YTX24HL-BS Motocross 12v 350 CCA Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery

Batterystuff.com about 100 bucks

Spyder Garage

Yuasa all the way. Our Arctic cat snowmobiles use the identical battery.Two need replacing this year after 12 years in service. Replaced two spider batterys after 5 years and will be going into the snowmobiles for another 5 plus years I hope. Cost of the yuasa battery hear $98.00.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors