Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like a Miss-fire

I have a 2012 RSS SE5 with 2BRO exhaust and Juice box pro with under 10k miles.....It had been sitting for about 2 months,When I started it up it sounded like it was only hitting on one cylinder,until it started warming up and the miss went away,....I thought maybe gas was going bad so I ran some lucas fuel additive through it and a couple of tanks of gas....But still the miss persists.(only at cold/start up)I havent had time to dig into yet,But was wondering if the ECM would detect a missfire and throw a code?
    Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking

Don't know about the ecm but it does throw codes for running rich or lean one bank or the other....Things to check would be the plugs, plug wires ( I changed the plugs to iridiums and high tension wires from BajaRon) coils and the 02 sensor and if the controler is still in tune. I don't use them mine runs great without any.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes,I would like to uninstall the 2 Bro Juice box(I have no use for it,it was installed by previous owner) and check my leads while I'm in there....I heard Bajaron Has got really good leads and Plugs?
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    Yes,I would like to uninstall the 2 Bro Juice box(I have no use for it,it was installed by previous owner) and check my leads while I'm in there....I heard Bajaron Has got really good leads and Plugs?
    Thanks.
    Pull the Tupperware off both sides and start your Spyder up in the dark. It's hard to hear the lost ignition voltage arching to ground. But not too hard to see in the dark. You can also move your ignition wires around a bit to see if the miss goes away, gets worse, or allows you to see arching. This will give you more certainty of the cause for your miss. But use something non-ferrous to touch the ignition wires with so you don't get lit up yourself!

The OEM wires have several things working against them. They use a very high resistance center conductor which means you not only lose energy before it gets to the spark plugs. But the energy is always looking hard for an alternate exit (does not get to the spark plug at all = MISS). Combine this with a low quality, thin insulation and it is no surprise that they don't last as long as expected.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-19-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks BajaRon.Im hoping to look at it this weekend,if its the leads,do you have a set in stock?should i also change plugs?,i think i have approximately 8k on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Miss who?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The OEM wires have several things working against them. They use a very high resistance center conductor which means you not only lose energy before it gets to the spark plugs. But the energy is always looking hard for an alternate exit (does not get to the spark plug at all = MISS). Combine this with a low quality, thin insulation and it is no surprise that they don't last as long as expected.
    The wires are NGK (would this be the OEM wire)?I got a little bit of mis when I started it up tonight (all tupperware stripped off ),Did not see any arcing but did feel header pipes from each jug and the front jug was not firing....didnt seem to mis long.
    Im in the process of removing the juice box controller.and will see how she acts stock.
    BajaRon,what would be the cost of new leads and plugs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    Thanks.
    He's the go to guy.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rs-amp-Helmets
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 10-20-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thank you Highwayman.

Spyder Garage

Default Oil in air box

2 questions:
    Removing airbox to access injector wiring so as to remove controller I noticed some oil in the airbox,...Is this something to be concerned about?
    I read somewhere this can happen if you tend to keep your oil level at full (which i do)
    Also discovered previous owner installed a K and N air filter.....is there that much difference of airflow between the stock filter and KandN?
    I would prefer to go back to stock if theres not much noticable difference...im out of my hot rodding days...
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Oil in the air box was a common issue. Some believed that it might cause miss firing problems and it's messy for sure as it can run down the outside of the air box. To stop this some of us GS/RS owners installed a oil catch can between the crankcase and the air box. as far as the K&N air filter goes you can certainly go back to stock after you remove the juice box but you can also service it ( wash and re oil ). The K&N will out perform the stock paper filter and will be cheaper to maintain. I'm not sure if those plug wires are OEM or BAHA Ron issue but if their not up to the standards of Ron' s wire set, they may need replacing. Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dennis....your right the K&N would be cheaper in the long run.