Spyder Garage

Default Engine Stopped Running on 2014 RTL

Have a 2014 RTL that I was riding in town, lost power and then it died. Had just filled with gas and had been having no problems with Bike. 42,000 miles and had just got back from Spyderfest. Changed fuel filter with no results so to Powersports it went! It now has been 5 weeks it has been in the Shop and I keep getting excuses! Waiting to get permission from BRP to do warranty work and then having to order tools from BRP so they could work on the engine has been their excuses. I'm really not sure what their telling me what is wrong? They said something about a Can Chain link not staying on and the throttle is involved? Does this make sense to anyone along with having to get special tools from BRP? Never Wanted To Be A Mechanic..... :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Terry L View Post
    Have a 2014 RTL that I was riding in town, lost power and then it died. Had just filled with gas and had been having no problems with Bike. 42,000 miles and had just got back from Spyderfest. Changed fuel filter with no results so to Powersports it went! It now has been 5 weeks it has been in the Shop and I keep getting excuses! Waiting to get permission from BRP to do warranty work and then having to order tools from BRP so they could work on the engine has been their excuses. I'm really not sure what their telling me what is wrong? They said something about a Can Chain link not staying on and the throttle is involved? Does this make sense to anyone along with having to get special tools from BRP? Never Wanted To Be A Mechanic..... :-)
    You might want to check with BRPcare to trust but verify the dealer is indeed talking with BRP. Here is a link: brp.care@brp.com

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you don't need a special prosecutor to find out. LOL
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Terry, That's a bummer. Our good riding season is just starting. I agree with akspyder but would first talk to the service manager and tell him you are going to BRP care to light fire to get things rolling. Get your warranty claim number and your RO number from the dealer so you have a reference when you talk to BRP. If they don't have these then they are just sitting on their thumbs. If you took it to WE Ride Powersports, I would be a little concerned. The Spyder tech there thinks he is a lot better and knowledgeable than he really is. At one time he quoted me 3 hours labor to change out my front shocks because he said the A arms had to be dropped (wrong). A couple of weeks ago he charged a friend $390.00 for changing a rear tire and my friend supplied the tire!

P.S. Yesterday I came down 188 from Tonto Basin and through the edge of Globe. Had a beautiful ride and, of course, had to stop in downtown Superior for a dish of ice cream on the way back to Mesa. I believe we met at the Squared Away booth at Red Rock and I enjoyed visiting with you.... Hope to see you back on the road soon

Keep us posted on your repair
    Last edited by canamjhb; 10-19-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Which one?

You took it to RideNow? Which one? In my experience the one in Chandler is great, Peoria... just stay away, and Phoenix (Cave Creek Blvd) good.

Spyder Garage

Default throwing you bones.....

If in fact it was a cam chain you would have had some awful sounding noises coming from the engine as the piston/s hit the valves...if they meant the cam positioning sensor is bad that is a whole different story and should not have taken this long... As for the trottle being involved agree you should get personally involved with BRP and if in fact they have done nothing...take it to another dealer with good techs....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where is Bob with his BS meter? I'm thinking they might not have a clue.

I'll use mine.
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 10-19-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Another tale of a Can Am Dealer not qualified or set up to service their own bikes? 5 weeks for BRP to discuss with dealer? What the heck is going on? How can BRP allow this. Seems like every few weeks there are stories like this that really make one wonder if owning this machine is the right think to do. I have really enjoyed mine however I have really not had to do any real service or repair work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Terry, That's a bummer. Our good riding season is just starting. I agree with akspyder but would first talk to the service manager and tell him you are going to BRP care to light fire to get things rolling. Get your warranty claim number and your RO number from the dealer so you have a reference when you talk to BRP. If they don't have these then they are just sitting on their thumbs. If you took it to WE Ride Powersports, I would be a little concerned. The Spyder tech there thinks he is a lot better and knowledgeable than he really is. At one time he quoted me 3 hours labor to change out my front shocks because he said the A arms had to be dropped (wrong). A couple of weeks ago he charged a friend $390.00 for changing a rear tire and my friend supplied the tire!

P.S. Yesterday I came down 188 from Tonto Basin and through the edge of Globe. Had a beautiful ride and, of course, had to stop in downtown Superior for a dish of ice cream on the way back to Mesa. I believe we met at the Squared Away booth at Red Rock and I enjoyed visiting with you.... Hope to see you back on the road soon

Keep us posted on your repair
    It sure is "We Ride" were it's at. I think they charged me around $200 and I furnished the tire when they changed mine. They charge $120/Hr. and I think they gave me a break because I told them they are changed on YouTube in 45 min. I give them a lot of crap. I heard they put Saran Wrap around my Spyder since all their Bikes are taken in and the only ones they leave outside are the the ones their working on. I going to be down Wen. Dr. Check up and will be at Fountain of The Sun visiting Sisters and also checking on my bike. Yes, we did meet at St. George. Fortunately for THEM and Me, I have two Spyder's JUST for this reason, I can't go a few days without riding. I hope their praying as much as I am that this one does not Break Down before that one is fixed!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When my 14 broke it did take a couple of weeks for my dealer to acquire the engine removal tool from BRP.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Good luck Terry. I, too, live in Fountain of the Sun. Hope our paths cross again.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Terry L View Post
    Maybe they meant to say the "Can Run" link to the throttle If they meant to say the Cam chain link I think you would have heard an ugly sound as the valves turned the pistons into a Hemi...
    Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 10-20-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Can Chain link broke

Finally got word today on repairing my engine instead of replacing it. Shop wanted to replace the engine and BRP Representative wanted them to fix it! So that is were I'm at now, just glad I'm not on the road. Can Chain Link is broke what ever that is? Never wanted to be a mechanic But being FORCED to know more !!

Spyder Garage

If a CAM chain link broke, the CAM chain (aka Timing chain) would separate, and the valves would all close (they have springs to hold them closed, the cam lobes cause them to open) stopping all intake stopping all exhaust, rendering the engine inoperative. Repairing the Cam chain and associated components (top end) would repair the engine.

Watch the Can AM rotax engine video at about the 1min 17 second and later mark. You can see the CAM chain coming from the crankshaft below up above and over the cams (above the letters EF in Efficient.

Or Lamonster's view of a V twin You can still see the cam chain
    Last edited by DGoebel; 10-28-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default This Weeks report

Got a call yesterday that they have taken the engine apart and took pictures and sent them to BRP. BRP now agrees with the shop and will be replacing the engine. Glad their finally going to replace the engine..... Stopped running in the middle July. Ordered and changed the fuel line filer and then took it to the Dealer in Sept. A new Service manager called me, "hoping" for good results........ Trying to be patient!!!