Spyder Garage

Default What motorcycle shippers have you used?

I have been thinking of getting a 2 wheeler as a back up to my 2015 RTS. I kind of miss the 2 wheel experience which has been absent since 2013. I would like to know what motorcycle shippers you have used in the past and what your experience with them was? I have found a nice 2003 Honda VTX 1800 for sale with low miles.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I have been thinking of getting a 2 wheeler as a back up to my 2015 RTS. I kind of miss the 2 wheel experience which has been absent since 2013. I would like to know what motorcycle shippers you have used in the past and what your experience with them was? I have found a nice 2003 Honda VTX 1800 for sale with low miles.
    The one time I needed one I used Haulbikes.com. They hauled the RT I bought from a guy in Wisconsin to me in Idaho for just under a grand and in about 4 weeks. That is their specialty. They are contract haulers for HD trikes.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Federal Motorcycle Transport

Last year I use Federal to move an old smallish bike from Connecticut to Texas. I chose them mainly because they gave a discount (10% I think) for AMA members.

Had no problems and it arrived in a reasonable time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 RTS-SE5
    2003 Triumph Bonneville
    1970 BSA B25 Starfire

Spyder Garage

Default Keyboard Carriage

When I bought my R1100S in 2014, I used Keyboard Carriage to ship from Chesapeake, VA. to Fritch, Tx. $625. They specialize in bike shipping, but have sort of limited coverage west of the central time zone.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    When I bought my R1100S in 2014, I used Keyboard Carriage to ship from Chesapeake, VA. to Fritch, Tx. $625. They specialize in bike shipping, but have sort of limited coverage west of the central time zone.
    I'd never heard of them before. Look like a good choice if they go where you need them to go. It's not limited coverage west of Central Time, is VERY limited! Only about a half dozen major metropolitan areas in the southwest. Also, prices are higher for trikes, and for bikes over $20,000 value, and you need to call for a quote. Nothing like having piano movers haul your m/c!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'd never heard of them before. Look like a good choice if they go where you need them to go. It's not limited coverage west of Central Time, is VERY limited! Only about a half dozen major metropolitan areas in the southwest. Also, prices are higher for trikes, and for bikes over $20,000 value, and you need to call for a quote. Nothing like having piano movers haul your m/c!
    didn't quite follow what you are trying to say, but they got my bike here unscathed in a reasonable amount of time. It has been three years since then so they could have changed some coverage and prices.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    didn't quite follow what you are trying to say, but they got my bike here unscathed in a reasonable amount of time. It has been three years since then so they could have changed some coverage and prices.
    Just summarizing what I read on their website!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Had anybody used the uship.com service or some other to ship from say Chicago eastward, say Philly/central NJ! How does this work?
    Would a selling dealer want substantial extra to either arrange or to take responsibility to get Spyder on the truck?
    Just inquiring at this moment...

Rap
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Had anybody used the uship.com service or some other to ship from say Chicago eastward, say Philly/central NJ! How does this work?
    Would a selling dealer want substantial extra to either arrange or to take responsibility to get Spyder on the truck?

Rap
    With Haulbikes.com all the dealer would need to do is take the windshield off and have the bike outside ready to be loaded. The truck driver loads and secures the bike into the truck.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Raprider;1314598]Had anybody used the uship.com service or some other to ship from say Chicago eastward, say Philly/central NJ! How does this work?

I used UShip.com for my RT from Florida to Ohio.
    I chose to put the job up for auction, as the initial rates seemed high and they were.
    I liked the auction, because they offer a price, you can see their equipment, as well as the reviews and what insurance they have or if you should buy more from UShip.
    UShip owns the site so the reviews, good or bad stay in place.
    You tell them when and where they can pick it up and when and where you expect delivery, my choice hauler did the trip for about $450 and it was in my garage within 24 hours from when they picked it up. Mine was a back haul for these two guys from Indiana, they also had a small car on the enclosed trailer.
    Once the deal is accepted on both ends, you send the wire transfer of funds to UShip, they hold it but give you a code number. When product is delivered you give the hauler the code, he enters it into the UShip site and he gets paid. They know the money is waiting, no worries, you know the funds are protected, no worries.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    With Haulbikes.com all the dealer would need to do is take the windshield off and have the bike outside ready to be loaded. The truck driver loads and secures the bike into the truck.
    So who puts the windshield back on?
    I guess it'd be a "learning experience"...
    2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We lucked out with Uship, I've heard some horror stories with sketchy contractors bidding for jobs there, though.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    So who puts the windshield back on?
    I guess it'd be a "learning experience"...
    You do. It's an easy 10 minute job! Quite possibly the easiest of any service work on the Spyder! The reason the windshield needs to come off is Haulbikes trailers have a deck so they can carry two levels of machines. They specialize in hauling motorcycles, watercraft on trailers, ATVs, and snowmobiles. The headroom is about 1/2" short of clearing the windshield of an RT. An F3 would fit with windshield on. Their website gives the info about the max height of the vehicle that will fit.

2014 Copper RTS