Spyder Garage

Default how to remove/clean wheels

Good morning. Well it's that time of the year and I'm trying to clean her up for the winter. I never put her to sleep, I try to take her out when ever there is a nice sunny day for a 5 mile run.

Is there anything special I need to do to remove both front wheels for a good cleaning? What should I use on the inside of the rim (dimpled chrome)?

How hard is it to remove the rear wheel?

Any other tips for cleaning and getting ready for winter. I will still ride but not much.

I'm taking her in to get the tri-axis bars and GPS mount when the parts come it.

Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good morning. Well it's that time of the year and I'm trying to clean her up for the winter. I never put her to sleep, I try to take her out when ever there is a nice sunny day for a 5 mile run.

Is there anything special I need to do to remove both front wheels for a good cleaning? What should I use on the inside of the rim (dimpled chrome)?

How hard is it to remove the rear wheel?

Any other tips for cleaning and getting ready for winter. I will still ride but not much.

I'm taking her in to get the tri-axis bars and GPS mount when the parts come it.

Thanks, Mike
    .. It's a mistake to take very, very short rides ..... the muffler will not get Hot enough to burn off all the moisture that will be in it ...... jmho ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Is there anything special I need to do to remove both front wheels for a good cleaning? What should I use on the inside of the rim (dimpled chrome)? How hard is it to remove the rear wheel? I'm taking her in to get the tri-axis bars and GPS mount when the parts come it. Thanks, Mike
    Front wheels are easy removal, if that's really what you want to do. Merlin's Blood is probably the best way to clean wheels of the brake dust.

If you're not comfortable installing your own tri-axis bars and gps mount, then you really don't want to tackle removing the rear wheel. Use Merlin's Blood or some other such effective wheel cleaner.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I figured the fronts are easy but you never know. I was going to install my own bars but I don't know if I have the patience right now. I've done much bigger jobs before but I can afford to have it done so I will. I would have liked to see how to take all the tupperware off, maybe I'll do that this winter. The rear wheel I will just wait and see. I have done most of my own work on my cars and bike in the past but I do have strength and movement limitations in my right (stronger --used to be) shoulder after 2 surgeries. That's the reason I want the bars.

Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't remove my wheels to just clean it. I believe in "if its not broken don't fix it."
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Well I thought if I remove the fronts I can see more off what's there for the future projects/repairs etc. Once 20 or so years ago my friend built me a computer and I proceeded to take it apart and put it back together just to see what was involved and if I could do it. It gets me in trouble sometimes but I can't resist. It did make me buy a digital camera to help me though.

Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Well I just came in after cleaning the front wheels. I put her on the jack and pulled them both, I used S100 and Merlins Blood and it was so much easier than trying to clean them while they were on the bike.

Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Put a wheel wax on them to help keep moisture off for the winter storage

Spyder Garage

Whats a good wheel wax
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the brand we carry at my place is called wheel wax made by american racing