Spyder Garage

Default How does the Semi Automatic work?

Hi folks!
    Just trying to get a better understanding of my Spyder.

My driveway is on a slight hill. I like to pull in and when I am leaving, I start her up, put her in 1st gear and then coast backward down the hill and once on the road, I roll on the throttle to go forward. I can easily manually roll the Spyder whether or not it is in gear. How does the Semi-Automatic tranny work? Allow me to elaborate. Does it work in the same manner as a paddle shifter on an automatic car (plus allowing automatic down shifting)? Does it have some sort of internal(centrifugal?) clutch? It may be a silly question, but I am just trying to understand how you can roll the Spyder while it is in gear.

Thanks!
    Ed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    Hi folks!
    Just trying to get a better understanding of my Spyder.

My driveway is on a slight hill. I like to pull in and when I am leaving, I start her up, put her in 1st gear and then coast backward down the hill and once on the road, I roll on the throttle to go forward. I can easily manually roll the Spyder whether or not it is in gear. How does the Semi-Automatic tranny work? Allow me to elaborate. Does it work in the same manner as a paddle shifter on an automatic car (plus allowing automatic down shifting)? Does it have some sort of internal(centrifugal?) clutch? It may be a silly question, but I am just trying to understand how you can roll the Spyder while it is in gear.

Thanks!
    Ed
    With throttle off, I am guessing not connected. Centrifugal system maybe??????? I can leave it in first waiting for red light and take foot off brake--does not roll forward for me.

I do use the brake for safety though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-20-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It's not actually an automatic gearbox in the way most understand autos, it's exactly the same GEARBOX as that in the manual Spyders! So it's really a MANUAL GEARBOX, with the added feature of computer controlled electric solenoid shifting.

The computer has a 'fail-safe down change' feature built in, & the clutch is a centrifugal clutch until 2014 when they changed it to a oil pressure based hydraulic/electric solenoid activated unit. So really, you should treat your Spyder's 'semi-auto' exactly the same way you would the manual, with the added caveat that the computer will ensure your paddle activated changes are d one properly & safely, restricting you from making them if things aren't safe, and if you stuff up so much that you are at risk of lugging the engine when you shouldn't, the computer will trigger changing down to a more appropriate gear!

With the 2013 & earlier centrifugal clutches, you really need to keep the revs up over about 3200-3500 rpm before feeding in too much demand for torque or you risk clutch damage, but with the oil pressure operated electro/hydraulic clutch on the later models, you don't need to worry so much about that, altho low revs generally means lower oil pressure & that can allow more clutch slip than is ideal, so maybe you should consider keeping your revs up enough to maintain oil pressure....

As to why it will roll like that, the clutch isn't engaging until you feed in throttle!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's not actually an automatic gearbox in the way most understand autos, it's exactly the same GEARBOX as that in the manual Spyders! So it's really a MANUAL GEARBOX, with the added feature of computer controlled electric solenoid shifting. .... As to why it will roll like that, the clutch isn't engaging until you feed in throttle!
    Great explanation, Peter.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Great explanation, Peter.

I'll happily second that!! Best explanation yet seen. Thanks, Peter.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I'll happily second that!! Best explanation yet seen. Thanks, Peter.
    Third. Learned my first new thing today. Awesome explanation.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Roll at stoplight

My 2016 RTL will roll at the stoplight. I thought this was a problem, but the Dealer said that why you keep your foot on the brake. Normal, And thanks for the in depth information.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    My 2016 RTL will roll at the stoplight. I thought this was a problem, but the Dealer said that why you keep your foot on the brake. Normal, And thanks for the in depth information.
    My '16 RTL will not roll in gear on a level surface unless I increase the rev's past 1,000 RPM (approximately). I do keep my brake engaged at a stop light though so the vehicle behind me knows I am stopped.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter nailed it: with one tiny addition...
    Unlike a normal motorcycle clutch that is normally engaged (until you pull in the clutch lever to disengage it...); the ESSIES have either a centrifugal (pre-2014), or hydraulic (post-2013), that allow it to engage.
    That's why you can roll them around while they're in gear: nothing happens until things start spinning fast enough.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It will roll "in gear" because when the clutch is disengaged, the gears don't matter: no matter which of the three transmissions your Spyder has, a disengaged clutch is the same as in a stick-shift car. It's as simple as that.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's not actually an automatic gearbox in the way most understand autos, it's exactly the same GEARBOX as that in the manual Spyders! So it's really a MANUAL GEARBOX, with the added feature of computer controlled electric solenoid shifting.

The computer has a 'fail-safe down change' feature built in, & the clutch is a centrifugal clutch until 2014 when they changed it to a oil pressure based hydraulic/electric solenoid activated unit. So really, you should treat your Spyder's 'semi-auto' exactly the same way you would the manual, with the added caveat that the computer will ensure your paddle activated changes are d one properly & safely, restricting you from making them if things aren't safe, and if you stuff up so much that you are at risk of lugging the engine when you shouldn't, the computer will trigger changing down to a more appropriate gear!

With the 2013 & earlier centrifugal clutches, you really need to keep the revs up over about 3200-3500 rpm before feeding in too much demand for torque or you risk clutch damage, but with the oil pressure operated electro/hydraulic clutch on the later models, you don't need to worry so much about that, altho low revs generally means lower oil pressure & that can allow more clutch slip than is ideal, so maybe you should consider keeping your revs up enough to maintain oil pressure....

As to why it will roll like that, the clutch isn't engaging until you feed in throttle!
    All 998 SE engines have a centrifugal clutch for engagement. With a hydraulic/electric override for shifting. So that would be model years 2008 to 2016. All 1330 SE engines have clutches that are hydraulic/electric only. That would be models starting in 2014 to present.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    All 998 SE engines have a centrifugal clutch for engagement. With a hydraulic/electric override for shifting. So that would be model years 2008 to 2016. All 1330 SE engines have clutches that are hydraulic/electric only. That would be models starting in 2014 to present.
    Interesting thread that's raised a related question in my mind.

On my 2016 F3T SE, it's impossible for me to "coast". IOW, when I get off the throttle, I immediately slow down significantly (without applying the brake). Is that normal?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post

On my 2016 F3T SE, it's impossible for me to "coast". IOW, when I get off the throttle, I immediately slow down significantly (without applying the brake). Is that normal?
    Mine does the same.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's "Norbal"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post

Yes, that's because the clutch stays engaged until the engine drops down to idle, in which case it will also downshift all the way to first. What this does mean though, is if you are traveling at highway speed and inadvertently hit the kill switch, as soon as you turn it back on the engine resumes running. The first time it happened to me it shook me up. Subsequently it has been no big deal, other than I have to resume cruise control. The kill switch is easy to trip when you reach over the handlebar to mess with something up in the dash area.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have noticed that once mine heats up, shifting has a louder clunk to it, not overly loud, just louder. I have been experimenting to find a sweet spot for smoother shifting. Seems to be around 5200 rpm once its warm. But, that seems to depend on speed and which gear I am shifting to. To me, part of the fun of a new bike is learning its unique characteristics and how to smoothly operate it.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Peter nailed it: with one tiny addition...
    Unlike a normal motorcycle clutch that is normally engaged (until you pull in the clutch lever to disengage it...); the ESSIES have either a centrifugal (pre-2014), or hydraulic (post-2013), that allow it to engage.
    That's why you can roll them around while they're in gear: nothing happens until things start spinning fast enough.
    "pre 2014 0r post 2013" ??? before 2014 and after 2013.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Pretty darn well..many folks like it ... sorry just had to... but it does seem that BRP is phasing the manual out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black