Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default AAA Towing Coverage vs BRP's Under Warranty?

It's almost time for me to renew my annual AAA membership. This would be the first time for me since owning a Spyder, so I'm not sure exactly what AAA's towing coverage covers with regard to a Spyder. Of course I'll check with them but thought that I'd ask here first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that BRP includes some towing coverage during its 2-year warranty, as well, No?. If so, how does it differ from AAA's?

I guess that the bottom-line question for me is - What towing coverage (if any) do you guys carry in case of a breakdown of your Spyder? When it comes to a Spyder, I would think that a couple hundred miles of towing coverage iwould be necessary since Spyder dealers are so few and far between.

Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

I use AAA (Arizona) and I've always been happy with AAA. At least in AZ you have to specify motorcycle as an adder to your coverage. I suggest you investigate AAA in your area and get clear on their options and fees. In my life I've never heard much good about any factory supplied roadside assistance (BRP, GM, anyone). You also might have something already through your credit card, auto insurance, etc. For me I only trust AAA as when I need it, I need it.

Good luck.

Rob
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:26 PM.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I just checked my GEICO policy. It covers towing and up to one hour of labor at the nearest repair facility. It's an additional $9/year, but comp/collision must be carried. My total insurance premium is $533/yr

Spyder Garage

I've had AAA for a number of years. I'm in Central NY, and have Premier + RV coverage, which is what you need if you want your spyder covered; it cost me $153/yr. Here is a link to the coverage.

https://westerncentralny.aaa.com/membership/compare

Spyder Garage

Signed up for AAA Premier RV plus towing coverage ( not the vehicle insurance, only the towing coverage) just before our big trip. They cover up to a 200 mile tow.

Never got to use it fortunately. I also have AMA Motow (35 miles) and Geico (35 miles)

After the trip it was my intention to cancel AAA -- I've since changed my mind.
    Last edited by HayRog; 10-20-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

BRP, AAA and AMA.

I have all three of these. My F3 is a 2017, so I have that coverage. I never thought of using AAA for cycle towing which is the primary reason I am an AMA life member plus; This gives me towing coverage too. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:26 PM.
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP uses a call center for their roadside assistance and the operators don’t know a CanAm Spyder from a hike in the wall. So be prepared to explain that you require a fiat bed and be prepared for them to still send the wrong equipment
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    BRP uses a call center for their roadside assistance and the operators don’t know a CanAm Spyder from a hike in the wall. So be prepared to explain that you require a fiat bed and be prepared for them to still send the wrong equipment

The one time we needed it the lady I talked to was nice and tried her best to be helpful but she was totally clueless. I gave up and called my son.
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 10-18-2017 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Corrected Auto Correct!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Geico

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    I just checked my GEICO policy. It covers towing and up to one hour of labor at the nearest repair facility. It's an additional $9/year, but comp/collision must be carried. My total insurance premium is $533/yr
    The 30 mile towing service IS standard with Geico, and there would be a charge of so many cents per mile following that. However, you can ask to speak with the call taker's manager for the authorization for additional miles.

Spyder Garage

Default AAA towing

I had a 2011 RTS which I had much trouble with. Belonged to AAA for over 30 years. Spyder went down out in the country. Had the correct add on for Spyder, and called for a roll back to pick up the Spyder. waited for over and hour, no show. Called again and they said tow truck was on the way. Waited again, almost 1/2 hour later, called and they said did not have a roll back in the area. You are on your own. Drove home, over thirty miles at 15 MPH. Needless to say I no longer have AAA. I now belong to AMA and have BRP coverage. Hope this helps.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have Geico towing option, plus the BRP 2-yr Roadside Assist (which I have heard is a POS, but it's free). Haven't upgraded my existing AAA for a Spyder, and likely won't unless Geico lets me down in a pinch.

Spyder Garage

Default AAA PREMIER RV

I have the AAA Premier RV coverage and have had to use it twice in 4 years. The first time was a 90 mile tow to my dealer on my previous ST-S and the second time was a 177 mile tow to my dealer on my current F3-S. No charge to me either time. I pay $194 per year which also covers my wife’s vehicle. I highly recommend it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AAA

Make sure that you have the RV coverage! They will just laugh at you and tell you there is nothing they can do for you! No matter how long you have been with them!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default AAA

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Make sure that you have the RV coverage! They will just laugh at you and tell you there is nothing they can do for you! No matter how long you have been with them!
    I have my Spyder on my AAA coverage, but pulled my RV after it took AAA almost seven hours to change a tire on it. None of their techs had a socket big enough for the lug nuts. I now have my RV roadside with Good Sam, I know their techs will have what a RV needs.

Spyder Garage

Default AAA RV & Premier Coverage Worth It For Us

I have the extended BRP warranty and the AAA Premier & RV coverage for my '14 RT. The Premier gives you a 200 mile tow as part of the package AND covers motorcycles, which is helpful when you tour the country like hubby and I do. I've been with AAA for (gulp) 43 years

This August my drive belt tore in half in the middle of nowhere in Washington (chip seal work). I didn't think to call the BRP tow, I called AAA automatically. I called the California number on my AAA card then was transferred to the Washington AAA.

My tow driver came from 100 miles away in Coeur d'Alene to my location (it did take 3 hours to get to me) and tow me to West Spokane, 70 miles away to the nearest Can Am dealer (another 1 1/2 hours away). I found the Washington AAA call operator to be helpful in getting us to the nearest Can Am Spyder dealer including the dealership phone number so we could call them ahead of time and plan the repair. AAA called back to give us updates on the tow and to make sure we were doing ok in the 100+ degree heat. I was specific as to the flat bed tow that I needed, and when the tow truck driver called me to say he was coming, I made sure he had the right tow vehicle. I got updates from the tow driver as to his ETA - which was nice.

It was the pits having a breakdown, but AAA came through for us, along with Frazier Towing and Westside Motorsports.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Default Towing

The first time I needed a tow was when my Honda ST1100 had a flat. Called AAA and the girl asked if I didn't carry a spare? I said, it's a motorcycle, where do you think I would put a spare? She then told me I had to have additional coverage for a bike. I then called Rider Insurance, and they were there within 1/2 hour with a roll back. 2nd time, I had a vacuum problem on my bike and needed a tow. Again, Rider came to the rescue. i think they only go 30 miles or so, but I also have an extended warranty on the Spyder, which I think covers some towing as well.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

We have AAA Premier RV Plus and have used it a number of times, for the Spyders, Truck and RV flats, sometimes I've had to wait but they have always come through, It has more then paid for it's self several times over. I spend a lot of time on the road as I'm a traveling construction superintendent and some years have driven in excess of 50,000 miles . I have had nothing but good experience with AAA.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant