Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Need Improved Milage On old RT w 998 Engine?

Has anyone found a way to increase gas mileage?? Tuner, extra tank, any suggestions, love my spyder but miss mileage of my old bike.

Spyder Garage

I have put iridium plugs, better wires, less restrictive air filter none of which made enough difference to bother about. Fortunately I didn't do any of those things for mileage but to make maintenance easier,which they all have. My mileage hangs right around 30 mpg. That gives 150 mile range before I get too deep into reserve and it's about as far as my bladder can take. I have a little over 34000 miles on it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Right now I am testing an ECU reflash with the potential for better milage (if you can avoid the temptation to wring it out all the time!!)

The re-flash has been done by a bloke here in Aus who's been doing reflash upgrades for BRP & CanAm owners & machines etc all over the world, and the initial indications from it are looking VERY GOOD!! Not only is it a bloody great improvement from the performance point of view, (read = 'Freaking Fantastic!' ) but taking it easy on the throttle is a whole lot easier to do & while doing that, I've just topped 160 miles with 1/4 of a tank still showing on the gauge - and I never got that sort of range before, let alone anywhere near that with a fair bit of fanging it around thrown into the mix too!!

So give it a day of so & I'll have the first tank full for economy worked out, & this weekend we are doing a bit of 2-up touring to see how that goes & add to the fuel economy data (if I can resist the temptation to wring it out all thed time!!) Watch this space - the white blur you see zip thru is gonna be me flashing by on my 2013 RT!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Right now I am testing an ECU reflash with the potential for better milage (if you can avoid the temptation to wring it out all the time!!) The re-flash has been done by a bloke here in Aus who's been doing reflash upgrades for BRP & CanAm owners & machines etc all over the world, and the initial indications from it are looking VERY GOOD!! Not only is it a bloody great improvement from the performance point of view, (read = 'Freaking Fantastic!' ) but taking it easy on the throttle is a whole lot easier to do & while doing that, I've just topped 160 miles with 1/4 of a tank still showing on the gauge - and I never got that sort of range before, let alone anywhere near that with a fair bit of fanging it around thrown into the mix too!! So give it a day of so & I'll have the first tank full for economy worked out, & this weekend we are doing a bit of 2-up touring to see how that goes & add to the fuel economy data (if I can resist the temptation to wring it out all thed time!!) Watch this space - the white blur you see zip thru is gonna be me flashing by on my 2013 RT!
    wow this has my attention.. I have a 2011 RT 998 and get 28-30 MPG back and forth to work running ethanol free 91 oct. Gas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about slowing down?
    I used to average 33 mpg with my 2010...
    But it would drop to as low as 27; when the speeds increased!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How about slowing down?
    I used to average 33 mpg with my 2010...
    But it would drop to as low as 27; when the speeds increased!
    You're right with a however. It is easier said than done in some places. Cruising at 55 MPH on the interstate will net you really good MPG, but it may not be the safest way to travel.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

55?

I usually roll along at 60, to 62 mph.
    Folks have turn signals and steering wheels in their vehicles: they can easily find their way around me...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cplbayou View Post
    Has anyone found a way to increase gas mileage??
    There is no magic.
    Slow down. Shift up sooner. Won't help much.
    It is what it IS.

So......you have to stop for gas every two hours or so.
    Is that REALLY a problem ??

Adding a bigger or extra tank is a BIG step.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Cruising at 55 MPH on the interstate will net you ..........
    A really BORING ride. I avoid the Interstates at every opportunity; even in the car if time permits.

A lot of major Interstates still have the "old" road, a US route, nearby which often is in really good condition due to no traffic.......and there is little to no traffic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    55?

I usually roll along at 60, to 62 mph.
    Doesn't mean that is a good idea.
    10-15 UNDER the prevailing traffic flow in any vehicle is NOT a safe thing to do.
    On a "motorcycle" it just not smart.
    Sorry but it just isn't.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 10-18-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I have....

Does not increase your mileage but it does make the ryde more enjoyable....just forget about it.....I have made many changes and it has helped in most cases but mileage depends and many variables so i now just ryde. I find most folks will stop at or around 100 miles for a stretch, hydrate, snack or chat so why not get gas at the same time. Coming from a time when we were lucky to get 15 to 20 mpg averaging 33 is great. If you come from cars that have 20 gallon tanks or moped that get 200 mpg then these machines are ..... Let's face it....you will not get much more unless you sacrifice a lot and only ryde downhill....Though we did have a member that converted the frunk into an additional tank and increased his range but not the mileage.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    You're right with a however. It is easier said than done in some places. Cruising at 55 MPH on the interstate will net you really good MPG, but it may not be the safest way to travel.
    55 on the interstate with a 998 engine will mean running in forth gear to keep the engine in it's operating rpm range. Remember the twin likes to rev so keep it around 5,000 rpm and enjoy.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I'm averaging about 31 mpg in my 2017 RTS, but I am generally on the throttle pretty hard so I'm not going to complain. Gas mileage is not one of the reasons I bought a Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if you take all extra weight off will increase mpg?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I usually try to stay off the big roads. To much wind buffering off the cars and semi trucks. I love the back roads and can get around 31 to 33 on our 2011 RT. Most back roads are 55. I try to stay around 61 or 62. Just to keep old smokey at bay with his little radar gun.

Spyder Garage

You have definitely hit the "average" mileage number. Right around 30 seems to be the magic number. The RT is like a barn door going down the road, add in wind and 100 or so other variables, and that is where you are.

I have learned to live with it. Not going to spends $100's to try and increase the mileage--IMO--it is what it is.

The 1330 version (2014 and up) will give you another 10 mpg. I am lucky enough to have one of those also.

I have had four 998's and they all got about the same.

And yes, my Vulcan gets 46 mpg on a consistent basis.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I'm averaging about 31 mpg in my 2017 RTS, but I am generally on the throttle pretty hard so I'm not going to complain. Gas mileage is not one of the reasons I bought a Spyder.
    But remember your 2017 is a 3 cylinder and this discussion is about the older VTwin,apples and oranges. However I thought that the 3 Cyl got better mileage then that. Isn't that one of the reasons so many ditched their VTwins and went to the 1330's.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    But remember your 2017 is a 3 cylinder and this discussion is about the older VTwin,apples and oranges. However I thought that the 3 Cyl got better mileage then that. Isn't that one of the reasons so many ditched their VTwins and went to the 1330's.
    From my post above:

The 1330 version (2014 and up) will give you another 10 mpg. I am lucky enough to have one of those also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Too bad an AFR+ can't be put in. I looked at their webpage & saw they only make them for the off road Can Am stuff. Here is the address for those interested. http://www.afrplus.com Thanks.

It's actually quite impressive. You can re-map your fuel curve just by putting this in. It plugs between ECM and the injectors & replaces an O2 sensor. Of course it needs to be programmed after it's put in.
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 10-19-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Too bad an AFR+ can't be put in.
    Those things are usually good for increasing the POWER and use a correspondingly greater amount of fuel.

Most modern engines run pretty lean to start with.......and trying to make them even leaner can result in some NASTY effects on engine parts.
    Like burned valves and melted pistons.

Spyder Garage

The easiest way to improve fuel mileage on any Spyder is to fit a smaller windshield. But no one wants to do that....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Those things are usually good for increasing the POWER and use a correspondingly greater amount of fuel.

Most modern engines run pretty lean to start with.......and trying to make them even leaner can result in some NASTY effects on engine parts.
    Like burned valves and melted pistons.
    Definitely don't want a meltdown. At least with the AFR+ you could get an idea where you stand with how rich or lean the trike is running.

I have seen where some diagnostics machines have a tailpipe sniffer to test the air to fuel ratio.
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 10-19-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Doesn't mean that is a good idea.
    10-15 UNDER the prevailing traffic flow in any vehicle is NOT a safe thing to do.
    On a "motorcycle" it just not smart.
    Sorry but it just isn't.
    So run over me: My Great-Grandkids will have a BALL spending your Great-Grandkid's inheritance!
    Riding along with prevailing traffic, is akin to running along in a mob, and wondering why you got arrested during the riot!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies I probably shouldn't have equated it to mileage, I'm a handicapped rider and would benefit from longer distance and less stops.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can only tell you this:
    While riding to Missouri in a mixed group of 998s, 1330s, and bikes towing trailers: we were stopping every 120 miles or so...
    As soon as I broke out of the pack on the way home with my 1330: 180 miles between stops became easy.