Spyder Garage

Default Appreciating my RT fairing

A friend and I went on a little 175 mile trip recently. It was chilly (50's and 60s). He was on a motorcycle with a windshield and I was on my RT. He about froze while I was quite comfortable behind the fairing with the windshield in the all-the-way up position. I just wanted to comment on my appreciation for my RT's fairing. What do you appreciate about your Spyder?
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750
    1974 Rokon MX340
    1984 Toyota tube buggy (Truggy) rock crawler (highly modified)
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser(modifiedfor off-roaduse)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I will be missing the extra large fairing on the RT and the heated grips this winter. The F3T doesn’t shield you from the cold quite as well.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann did you get rid of the RT?

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I will be missing the extra large fairing on the RT and the heated grips this winter. The F3T doesn’t shield you from the cold quite as well.
    Amen to that Ann! I noticed that last winter, and on the way to Valcourt! I am not as tall as you so my face and chest are ok.......but the hands!!!!! BRrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Casher50 View Post
    A friend and I went on a little 175 mile trip recently. It was chilly (50's and 60s). He was on a motorcycle with a windshield and I was on my RT. He about froze while I was quite comfortable behind the fairing with the windshield in the all-the-way up position. I just wanted to comment on my appreciation for my RT's fairing. What do you appreciate about your Spyder?
    Pretty much everything. The windshield and heated grips were great on the ride to Red Rock where I encountered pouring rain, 34º temp., and even heavy wet snow for a few miles. I have the 2014 RT.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Default Well...

For me it's the ryde.... all the rest can I can dress for...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For me My RT is my best ride.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The third cylinder leading to much improved gas mileage and increased time (mileage) in scheduled maintenance. Dale

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    , but I made some changes to adjust for that. I had the heated hand grips to my F3T, and have also added a 8" taller and 4" wider than stock windshield. I do not like the way the shield looks, but I am sure I will be thankful for it when the below 40 degree temps hit. My only issue now would possibly be the legs being cooler since they will be out, and the wind is more likely to go up the pant legs. But I have freezeout pants and chaps for that reason.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I agree wholeheartedly with Casher50 and all the RT riders, the large frontal area and the mirrors blocking wind (and rain at speed) around the handlebars really does help keep the hands dry and warm, though wouldn't some bar end mount handguards help the F3 folks? Like the Barkbusters Storm bar end mount models? They could come off in the summer easily enough I think. don't know that I'd want them on all year long.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Very effective

The RT has great wind protection! Rain, too! Very comfortable. Arguably the best there is. I’m glad Ann let me ride hers 5000 miles.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just returned from Spyder Adventures in Maggie Valley on Sunday. Admittedly, I left later than I wanted to, but hey, I did not want to leave at all.

The final two hours of the trip were in dusk or darkness, accompanied by horizontal rain and high wind gusts for about an hour. The last hour settled down to drying road but still severe wind gusts, no way could I do that on a two wheeler, the RT and 622 gave me a distinct advantage in this horrible weather.

Oh, in addition to that my BRP textile RPM pants and jacket performed wonderfully through all of that. I was dry and warm and reflective.

Thank you, BRP!
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No doubt: the RT gives the rider a nicely protected seating area. Wind and rain get shoveled off around you, and it's easy to pack 600 miles of riding into a less than ideal day!
    But it still doesn't replace having to dress properly for the ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    No doubt: the RT gives the rider a nicely protected seating area. Wind and rain get shoveled off around you, and it's easy to pack 600 miles of riding into a less than ideal day!
    But it still doesn't replace having to dress properly for the ride!
    You are right about dressing properly. I have ridden as low as 17 degrees F. and was chilly but comfortable otherwise. Carhartt or similar insulated coveralls along with good long insulated underware help a lot. Doing so on my RT helps a lot also, because of the excellent weather protection.
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750
    1974 Rokon MX340
    1984 Toyota tube buggy (Truggy) rock crawler (highly modified)
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser(modifiedfor off-roaduse)

Spyder Garage

Default RT

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    The RT has great wind protection! Rain, too! Very comfortable. Arguably the best there is. I’m glad Ann let me ride hers 5000 miles.
    Joe, thought maybe you were finally a convert going from 2 wheels to 3, Lol
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Yup! Regardless of your ride, dress for it. Riding cold or wet can be an exercise in determination and futility.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red